Falklands?

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited January 2013 in Commuting chat
it seems the "Argies" are kicking off again about the falkland's

do you reckon we should just give em back?
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Maybe we should let the residents of the islands decide what they want...
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    rubertoe wrote:
    Maybe we should let the residents of the islands decide what they want...

This. They aren't ours, they aren't Argentina's. She's just sh1t stirring because her domestic situation is dire and it gives her an excuse to distract people from high unemployment and rampant inflation. It's all a bit boring really, which is why the FCO basically ignores all the bleating.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    there is to be a referendum this year just to prove they still want to be British, I blame the pathetic UN resolution from the 1960's telling us we have to have 'discussions' when there is nothing to discuss, means Argentina can claim we are breaking the resolution!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Only if the Spanish Argentinians give Argentina back to the Indigenous South Americans.

British settlement of the Falklands predates the formation of the Spanish colony of Argentina so if anyone has a case for claiming back then maybe we should claim Argentina! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    War with Argentina, I say!

Argentina would not be saying a damn thing if it were not for the fact that there is oil within the territorial waters......There are deep drilling rigs there at the moment, probing for liquid gold.

So, In all these years, it is only in recent history that Argentina has shown any interest in the Falklands, 1980 and now .....and coincidentally; Argentina has defaulted on it's loans, it's economy is f*cked. Funny how a country shows an interest when there is some oil/profit to gain from administering the Falklands, yet shown no interest for the previous ~100 years.....Whatever her name is; Elvira; needs a 'good news' story to stay in power and finding some oil or profiting from it wuld be great for her. Notice that her Government appropriated a French(?) oil company based in Argentina recently......

Throw them back in the sea, again and win at Football.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    i thought the natives want it to remain British though?

the President of Argy is saying the British Navy (god bless them) took the islands by force 180 years ago
    Fernandez wrote:
    "Since then, Britain, the colonial power, has refused to return the territories to the Argentine Republic, thus preventing it from restoring its territorial integrity."
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    edited January 2013
    mudcow007 wrote:
    i thought the natives want it to remain British though?

the President of Argy is saying the British Navy (god bless them) took the islands by force 180 years ago
    Fernandez wrote:
    "Since then, Britain, the colonial power, has refused to return the territories to the Argentine Republic, thus preventing it from restoring its territorial integrity."

They should have looked after them better....So, for 180 years they have allowed the UK to defend and administer them, unopposed....and now they want them back.

Definitely oil and money for Fernandez here....
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    mudcow007 wrote:
    it seems the "Argies" are kicking off again about the falkland's

do you reckon we should just give em back?

So if I start demanding your property and possessions you'd just hand them to me?

BTW how can we "give em back when they have NEVER belonged to Argentina
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Can't wait to hear if Sean Penn will stick is empty head into this one. Last time he was gassing on about how we should pull out. I'm guessing he also wants to pull out of Hawaii (which does have an indigenous population unlike the Falklands) and probably Alaska. And for that matter, the rest of the States as well!

This topic does bring out the lunatics, Cristina Fernandez included.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Bless Sean Pean - the Falklands have been part of Britain for longer than his home state (California) has been part of the US. Perhaps he should become Mexican.

It is worth noting that the bit of Argentina closest to the Falklands didn't become under Argentinean control until after 1890, during the genocidal "conquest of the desert". Even the Spanish colonial authorities ignored that bit of Patagonia.
  • Some people are just tools. Sean Penn is :wink:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Well, if they're that opposed to colonialism, they'll not care about things like (for example) the naming of bits of Antarctica.

I'd suggest that if they can find a single living indiginous Argentinian (as opposed to one of the Spanish-derived kind whose ancestors killed most of the natives) who can credibly demonstrate that they've been substantially inconvenienced by our ancestor's actions in 1830 then maybe there's a discussion to have.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    alien wrote:

:D

I skim-read a story on the BBC website this morning. It said that the Argentine PM was quoting a 1965 UN Resolution to "negotiate a solution". Presumably, this Resolution was around in 1982, when they embarked upon a slightly more agreessive form of negotiation...

Anyone seen "A Most Ungentlemanly Act"? Fantastic.

Today's other topics: Gibraltar and the Elgin Marbles. :twisted:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,960
    Its black, its flammable, it comes from under the sea bed and it costs about $100 a barrel.
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    Whenever the Argie government is in the s h i t, they drag this up.

Thing is, the Falklands are a bit of an embarassment to us. We didn't really want them in the '80s. We'd have probably handed them over with scant regard for the islanders if the Argies had pursued more subtle, diplomatic means back then.

What the Argie goverment wants, then, and now is an expressive distraction from the mess their economy is in.

A rational but rubbish Cristina Fernández de Kirchner doesn't want the Falklands - she want's the Falklands to stay British, so she has something to make a distraction with.

Please follow this link, if you really are interested:
    http://www.economist.com/node/21548242
    de Kirchner has been harrassing, arresting, and prosecuting economists for attempting to publish accurate economic statistics.
    Had we switched to one of the provincial statistical offices still generating reliable figures, we fear it would have come under government pressure. One of the country's best independent analysts made us a generous—and brave—offer of its data against legal advice and on condition that we conceal the source and lightly disguise the numbers. That might have generated confusion.

On "expressive" policies and voting [try following the links in the article]:
    http://www.economist.com/blogs/democrac ... gingrich-2

I think you are allowed a few page hits a week if you aren't registered with The Economist.
  • Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    If the Argentinians hadn't invaded them we would of probably handed them over a long time ago.

A small colony in the South Atlantic no one really knew about until the war? There would of been some Foreign Office deal by now to 'power share' and 'mineral wealth share' by now.

The Junta were posturing just as the present Argentinian government are doing now.

(BTW this is no endorsement of Thatchers stance at the time)

Even before the oil field discovery we wouldn't of given the Islands back. A military airport right next to Antarctica is not something you sign away lightly in this day and age.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    cjcp wrote:
    alien wrote:

:D

I skim-read a story on the BBC website this morning. It said that the Argentine PM was quoting a 1965 UN Resolution to "negotiate a solution". Presumably, this Resolution was around in 1982, when they embarked upon a slightly more agreessive form of negotiation...

Anyone seen "A Most Ungentlemanly Act"? Fantastic.

Today's other topics: Gibraltar and the Elgin Marbles. :twisted:

Well there is a case for returning the Elgin Marbles.

If the inhabitants of Gibraltar want to join Spain, then we should allow them to. I seem to recall that they weren't terribly keen on it.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    There's not much to say.

Referendum will happen. It will vote to stay British. Domesitc problems might have blown over then - it all dies down.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    If you find a good discussion thread the whole area is very interesting. (Was trying to find one I read earlier but couldn't.)
    Have a read through the comments on this: -
    http://pol-check.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02 ... ntine.html
    (In the one I was trying to find an Argentinian was arguing that despite the 1850 agreement being negotiated from 1848, because Argentina was in civil war during 1850).
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Referendum will happen. It will vote to stay British. Domesitc problems might have blown over then - it all dies down.

You forgot the bit about Argentinians continuing to complain...
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • rick_chasey
    jds_1981 wrote:

...and....?

The reason it's piped up now is things are tricky domestically at the moment.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    jds_1981 wrote:

...and....?

and......
    The referendum won't change anything........
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,313
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    daviesee wrote:
    jds_1981 wrote:

...and....?

and......
    The referendum won't change anything........

No but it puts the argument to bed from a UN perspective for a while, which is the main irritation. There won't be a war and it'll pipe down after a while.

People won't even remember it come the 2013 end of year review shows.