Why do motorists hate 29ers?

Willow911
Willow911 Posts: 2
edited January 2013 in Commuting chat
Is it just me? every time I take my 29er out on the road I get abused or motorist actively try to knock me off my bike. I can go for months on the road bike or commuting to work on the old 26er and no issues apart from the usual old person who can't see, young person who did not see or mother in people mover who is too preoccupied to see beyond the interior of her vehicle. But .. get on the 29er and they actively come after you (me). Is it the wide handle bars? big wheels the fact that it's a trek and Lance road one? PS New Zealand, where the average driver is inconsiderate, stupid, aggressive and cyclist are looked upon as just so much road furniture to be avoided if convenient.

Comments

• I think it confuses their perception of distance - they think you're a small person on a normal MTB but further away.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Willow911 wrote:
    PS New Zealand

There's your problem....wouldn't happen in Scunthorpe.....
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Indeed, in Scunny the motorsists don't miss, so you'd only have had one problem!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Totally off topic, but ages ago I heard a story from an IT bod about Scunthorpe council. They installed a profanity filter to their email system and as soon as it went live they stopped receiving emails. Any idea why?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Totally off topic, but ages ago I heard a story from an IT bod about Scunthorpe council. They installed a profanity filter to their email system and as soon as it went live they stopped receiving emails. Any idea why?

post code in the signature was a 69er?
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Sc**thorpe
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • madtam
    madtam Posts: 141
    On a similar note, a local major engineering company located to the small market town of Penistone and had similar problems.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    They must use different software from Mufflickton in Cheshire, who seem to have no problems.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • I ride though a village called Cockenzie twice a day.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    madtam wrote:
    On a similar note, a local major engineering company located to the small market town of Penistone and had similar problems.

It is a damning indictment of society that Penistone and Scunthorpe aren't twinned with each other. Somewhere, in a parallel universe better than ours, they are.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Maybe they should be twinned with the village of C**ter in Switzerland (on the road from Thusis to St Moritz if anyone's interested...)
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Rolf F wrote:
    madtam wrote:

It is a damning indictment of society that Penistone and Scunthorpe aren't twinned with each other. Somewhere, in a parallel universe better than ours, they are.

Surely the place to twin Penistone and Scunthorpe would be Sexhow?
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Scunthorpe: one of three football teams with swearwords embedded in their names. The other two being Arsenal and Manchester F***ing United!
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Willow911 wrote:
    PS New Zealand, where the average driver is inconsiderate, stupid, aggressive and cyclist are looked upon as just so much road furniture to be avoided if convenient.

We got a round robin letter one Christmas - My Aunt's ex husband came third in a TV show to find the worst driver in NZ.

Some of the road rules there seem a little eccentric.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,960
    I ride though a village called Cockenzie twice a day.
    Its just next to Port Seamen isn't it?