Advantages of a 29er ? Take 2

2»

Comments

• kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    njee20 wrote:
    Weird, I've never ridden any of my friends bikes!

You should, you'll appreciate your bike more or want new shiny bits
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    No.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    ddraver wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    Thing is 650b is not that in the middle - if we take 26" (559mm) as the definition, then 650b (584mm) is 27 inch and 29ers (622mm) are 28.5 inch.

Reports suggest (and I'd hazard a guess that none of us have ridden one so reports is all we have) that 650b are the middle ground in terms of having much of the benefit of 29er with less of the drawbacks...

Reports and industry types say different things, many stating that they are much closer to 26ers - some hardly tell a difference that they can put down to wheelsize. Many can't see the point. But some do state as you say. Doesn't make it easier for the consumer!
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    A friend (who has been a 29er advocate since 2005) has put 650b wheels in his Salsa a la Carte, and really likes it. Had a quick spin, but it's too big for me anyway, and being a ti hardtail is pretty different to my normal bike! He said he much prefers it to 26" wheels though.
  • andy_welch
    andy_welch Posts: 1,101
    Yes, that's the great thing about 650B. It allows people who jumped on the 29er bandwagon to go back to smaller wheels without having to admit that they were wrong :D
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    njee20 wrote:
    Weird, I've never ridden any of my friends bikes!
    njee20 wrote:
    Had a quick spin,
    Ahem.......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    Well yeah ok! That was a quick 'car park' test, when Kenan said about riding each others bikes I was envisaging something a little more conclusive!
  • The Rookie
    I did realise what you meant...thought I'd give you the chance to 'correct' it before someone else used both barrels!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    It gets messy once someone else quotes my inconsistencies!

I did once ride with a guy from here who brought a pedal spanner in his Camelbak so we could really swap bikes. Very odd concept to me!
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    This is completely unscientific and anecdotal, but the people I know who have 29ers and are vaguely at the same skill set and fitness as me are much quicker over long XC type runs, very similar or slightly better on non technical climbs, and way slower on single track or technical descents & downhill. I would be on a FS 26er trail orientated bike.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • The Rookie
    Read the 26/650B/29er article by Matt published in MBUK and available on here for a more scientific set of results (not perfect I concede).
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Just to shove my ore in.

I have a 29er HT
    29er Full suss 120mm travel
    26" 150mm travel.

I'm no expert, but i can tell you a few things.
    29ers climb better, cover ground quicker, handle bumps better can handle a lot more than the DH'rs of this world would have you believe.
    If your riding is all done on natrual xc trails and the likes of Afan. 29ers are for you.

I did Aston hill a few weeks ago on my 26" bike, there was a lot there would kill a 29er, the sharp switchbacks into drops for one. (almost killed me LOL )

Writing off certain bikes for certain riding is wrong, its personal preference, but i will be taking both full sussers to the Enduro's later in the year to see if Cedric Gracias win on his 29er in the Enduro was a fluke ;)
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/artic ... 9er-28684/

This article is interesting, albeit still contradictory in places.

I like the caption that goes with the picture of the women's XC race
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • njee20
    Depends what size wheels the two walkers are on, if they're on 26" it makes sense (if a bit sensationalised), it doesn't look like they are though!
  • marz
    marz Posts: 130
    b45her wrote:
    it is absolutely about wheel size, the benefits and disadvantages all stem from the inertia of big wheels, if your interpretation of mountain biking is riding 50 miles of fire roads and bridleways you'll love them. if you prefer the more technical side of things they simply aren't for you.
    the bike makers can spout any bollox they want, a big wheeler will never ever descend quicker than a 26er on anything more gnarly than a bolt straight mildly bumpy trail, as soon as corners, jumps and real bumps are thrown in they are hopeless, the same "momentum" that allegedly makes them roll well also kills their handling, its simple physics, no amount of geometry changes can change the physical laws of the universe.

And hence why I said 29ers are not suitable for DH, urban or jumps, did you miss that part. For XC and most AM riding 29er's generally work out faster. My local trails are rooty, rocky and narrow with a few small drops (<3'), step ups, berms and walls. Some days I'll take out my 26er, some my 29er and apart from only a couple of tight turns between trees where the 26er feels quicker,end to end, the 29er is quicker.

I have ridden 29ers that ride like boats, hated them, and so I didn't jump in until late. My Banshee has a short wheel base, manual's easily and even doesn't feel too weird in the air. Almost (but yes not quite) as flickable as my Specialized P2.
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    Read the 26/650B/29er article by Matt published in MBUK and available on here for a more scientific set of results (not perfect I concede).

Not this again.

By scientific, do you mean "it has some results"? So does the x factor.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/article/what-is-a-29er-28684/

This article is interesting, albeit still contradictory in places.

I like the caption that goes with the picture of the women's XC race

Oli's quote:

"I’ll leave it up to the sponsors to decide what they want me to ride.”
  • RandG
    RandG Posts: 779
    Liking the replies guys...well most of them anyway, certainly the ones on this page rather than the pigtail pulling on the other pages. Keep em coming, but without the "my cocks bigger than your cock" ones of course.
  • njee20
    Oli's quote:

"I’ll leave it up to the sponsors to decide what they want me to ride.”

I saw that! Rather pragmatic.
  • The Rookie
    EH_Rob wrote:

Not this again.

By scientific, do you mean "it has some results"? So does the x factor.
    It has comparative times obtained in what is realistically the most scientific manner possible within the scope of what was being done - x-factor results are just opinions....
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    Did that article end up online in the end? I ve never seen it...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver