So that was pretty dumb.

Initialised
Initialised Posts: 3,047
edited January 2013 in Commuting chat
Got over taken by a scooter heading towards a big down hill (Westgate Road, Newcastle).

Assumed drafting position, got wet in the scooters spray, kept it up as I was running late. Mostly kept up until Big Lamp (where the gradient gets steeper after the lights) began to out pace the scooter, ready and moving in for the overtake, then the bus in front decides to stop, van coming up the other way, maybe 1-1.5 metre gap between van and bus. Tried to brake, remember the spray, not much braking to be had, could have been messy.

Anyway, I'd have hit the scooter if he'd gone for the gap, as it was I pulled up beside him and asked how big his engine was since I'd kept pace. Managed to keep up down the hill on to St James Boulevard, sadly he turned off just before the bridge so I lost my tow.

So that's why I'd like disc brakes on my next bike as it will make my stupid, dangerous, irresponsible riding style that bit safer. Hemet cam footage would have been funny but wearing one might have made me risk it.
I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    You plonker. That's the kind of thing I do and then have to have similar words with myself. Wouldn't life be dull without these moments of stupidity though?
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    So in the end you made the right decision and nothing happened? :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not really the right decision when it relied on the Scooter making a decision he may or may not 9and didn't have to) make....

Mind you, it highlights why my commuter is on discs...Clark CMD-5 (mysteriously similar to Quad QMD-5) for lightness but enough power to lift the back wheel! Higher lever loads than an Avid BB5/7 though!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.