Gatorskins vs Durano plus...

cookeeemonster
cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
edited January 2013 in Road general
Hi all, sorry for another tyre question...

After putting 2000 miles on my vredstrom fontzarella tricomp (or whatever they're called!) I've started to get quite a few punctures all of a sudden, so Im thinking of some new tyres, and going from 23's to 25's too.

I was set on a pair of Durano plus London tyres as I can get them cheap plus I really rated them when I had my hybrid(the normal ones anyway) but then looking at a review of conti gatorskins I see they are a hell of a lot lighter than the duranos.

Anyone had experience of these and can give me some advice?

Cheers in advance

Comments

• the normal Durano's pluses are a bit lighter since they are folding vs wire.

there are various levels (and weights) of Gatorskins, aimed to be fast tough training tyres, the Durano pluses are a bit heaver and tougher.
  • rob39
    rob39 Posts: 479
    Been using Gatorskins in 25's for 3 years now and only 1 p*nct@re. I ride on the heavy roads of the Girvan RR, plenty of grit, pot holes, and thorns. Just keep them pumped to 110psi, and check them after every ride.

there are various levels (and weights) of Gatorskins, aimed to be fast tough training tyres, the Durano pluses are a bit heaver and tougher.

A bit unfair to compare the folding Durano plus with the wire gatorskin when the gatorskin also comes in a folding variant.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    The regular durano is a robust and more lightweight tyre with good grip in the wet. May be worth considering?
  • cheers for the replies people, I'm learning towards the duranos at the moment.

basically I want a combination of puncture resistance and wet weather grip (suppose I'm after a winter tyre?) for my 36 mile daily commute. I go on some pretty crap roads and cycle paths and after a spate of punctures I want something a bit better than I have
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Ran Gatorskin Hardshell in 23mm form for a few years and a few thousand km with no issues whatsoever. Changed, on the LBS recommendation, to GP Four Seasons in 25mm and they are just a different class. Run at 95psi (I'm 98kg) they are supremely comfortable, very fast, grippy in all conditions and no punctures in around 1000km. Worth a look.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • yeah I'm also sort of considering the 4 seasons...but didn't want to spend that much ideally unless there is a big difference.

has anyone used both durano plus and 4 seasons? Is the puncture resistance less on the 4 seasons?
  • Foyzy
    Foyzy Posts: 38
    If you want puncture protection the best tyres I have come across are Specialized All Condition Armadillos. I've done over 1000 miles of commuting through London with them with no problems, with a good balance of good rolling resistance and punture protection. Hope this helps.
  • Thanks for all your replies everyone, especially as this is a subject done to death.

I found a pair of durano plus london's for £34 inc postage from spa cycles and it was just too cheap to ignore. I might try some 4 seasons next time though as they seem well rated.

And as I want to shift a bit of post xmas weight the heavier tyre might help me do that ;)
  • ricky1980
    ricky1980 Posts: 891
    Armodillo is pretty immense in terms of puncture proof. Stones chips etc literally flies off from the Tyre. It does suffer from cuts etc but the rubber on the contact surface is so thick they can handle it. They are very heavy tho. I had a pair for almost 2 years with daily 20mil commute only 4 punctures and 2 punctures in December due to the fact rubber is completely gone at the back. I am running 4 seasons at the back to see the difference.
    Road - Cannondale CAAD 8 - 7.8kg
    Road - Chinese Carbon Diablo - 6.4kg
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I'd go with standard Duranos - a lot lighter than the Plus but still plenty good for puncture protection. I use Durano S - lighter still and those are fine but I tend to use a different bike when the weather gets really crappy. That said, if I do puncture a Durano S it is generally my fault.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • My experience with Gatorskins has been good, but I wouldn't necessarily buy them again. The selection available for 27" wheels is fairly meagre, and the Gatorskins were my choice. No punctures since May of last year. I've often read reports of poor grip with these tyres, and I haven't had any trouble but my tyres are 27x1 1/4" (32mm) which I run at 85psi; rather different to a 700x23 run at 100psi.
  • Durano Plus is a very heavy duty tyre - my current set have been on for about 5000 km and no punctures. In the 25 mm version it is bulky, they look huge on the bike and they only just fit on my Boardman Team Carbon (09); the rear tyre would in fact rub the front derailleur band if it hadn't been worn down over the years by muck stuck to the tyre.

Continental 4 Seasons I found fairly light and grippy, good puncture resistance but wear quickly.
  • I've often read reports of poor grip with these tyres, and I haven't had any trouble but my tyres are 27x1 1/4" (32mm) which I run at 85psi; rather different to a 700x23 run at 100psi.

I've got them on the Trek, and I've found them to be incredibly nervous in the wet. Managed to get a bit of power wheelspin with them the other night in cold damp condition... sat on the saddle... mid way through the big ring. Very disconcerting.
  • I run Durano Plus on my Boardman, they're very heavy but keep a lot of crap out of the tyre. I've had one puncture in 400 miles but that was a pretty serious sized piece of flint that just got through. Armadillos are ridiculously tough, not a very pleasant ride by any means but as bomb proof as you'll get from a tyre.

A bit unfair to compare the folding Durano plus with the wire gatorskin when the gatorskin also comes in a folding variant.

it would be wouldn't it, where did i do so?

I commented that folding durano's where lighter than wired and that gatorskins where lighter again.