Advantages of a 29er ?

RandG
RandG Posts: 779
edited January 2013 in MTB buying advice
I'm considering buying a 29er, but really want to know what are the actual advantages of them ?? Better rolling over rougher ground I believe, but what else ???

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • RandG
    Oh how I sighed when I seen it was you who posted, knowing fine well I wouldn't get a decent reply. Do me a wee favour fella, fuck off elsewhere til I get some decent replies eh, there's a good lad, off you pop.
  • cooldad
    Read, you might learn something.
    But OK, if it's instant gratification you want:
    They are more expensive than a 26er with comparable spec.
    Bits like wheels, tyres, forks are generally more expensive as the market is smaller, but this will change, sooner or later.
    They have big wheels.
    They are maybe not as chuckable.
    They roll over things a bit easier.
    They don't go round corners as easily, maybe.
    Americans love them.
    They will take over the world.
    Until 650b takes over the world.
    Americans love 650b.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • be careful buying without trying, I tried 29er's but they just ain't for me, they seemed weird when cornering, as if I was driving a bus or something.
  • MTBUK
    MTBUK Posts: 146
    :twisted: I'm building a 29er. 100% rigid ...... lightweight ..... for steady long day cruises across light terrain...... i'm happy with it........ if your looking for a nimble, chuckable, fast accelerating machine then stick to 26" ... as long as it isn't a Carrera you're OK..... **sniggers**
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • cooldad
    MTBUK wrote:
    I'm building a 29er. 100% rigid ...... lightweight ..... for steady long day cruises across light terrain...... i'm happy with it........ if your looking for a nimble, chuckable, fast accelerating machine then stick to 26" ... as long as it isn't a Carrera you're OK..... **sniggers**
    Same troll, new name?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    I test rode one today - short answer? Go test ride one...

Definitely smooths stuff out which lets you ride faster even if its just because you can stay sat down for longer and mash the pedals whereas on a 26er you'd be standing. Grip is better, climbing is much easier. I deliberately rode some stupid lines by pointing and mashing and it just rolled up it.

More difficult to turn, less fun as "popping off stuff" is more difficult. Pumping trails is almost impossible.

If i was racing I would buy one tomorrow, for a xc race/24hr race/marathon it would be perfect. But I would nt sell my 26 for a 29in for 99% of the riding I do. Would i buy one as n+1?....weeeeeeelllllll

I was going to record my thoughts more formally when I ve taken it for a thrash somewhere more difficult tomorrow.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • MTBUK
    MTBUK Posts: 146
    Not completely sure what you're talking about..... but witnessed your fall outs with a lot of forum members, in particular newbies..... your reputation is majestic :)
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • RandG
    MTBUK wrote:
    Not completely sure what you're talking about..... but witnessed your fall outs with a lot of forum members, in particular newbies..... your reputation is majestic :)

I'm assuming you are referring to cooldad and not me, he's a dick, ignore him, ddraver, just the kinda reply I was looking for.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    How about all start again?
This discussion has been closed.