What to do, Buy 2nd Hand or New Finance?

taazzukcb
taazzukcb Posts: 7
edited January 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi All,

So far I've managed to save and sell and managed to raise just shy of £1k and should be able to bump it just over once all my monthly bills are paid!

I was looking at spending between £500 and £1000 on a second hand bike. But I've sort of fallen for this:

http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/giant ... 9er_1.html

It's look and design seems to appeal a lot to my eye and spec list doesn't really seem half bad either! I would however have to take it out on finance, which I'm fine with, but I'm just after some advice.

My background - Used to ride quite a lot with a Speci Hardrock. Got to at least a competent level but then stopped for several years (Bikes with big engines took over!). I have for the last year been drooling over some of the bike mags and shops wanting to get into it again hence the saving!

I want something to last me hence why I'm wondering whether something like the Giant on finance with a good spec sheet might last me a good few years, compared to something used that may not have the spec sheet which I may end up spending even more on etc etc etc ...

To be honest, I really want a 650b (27.5), but I cant find any with the similar sort of spec sheet to cost! (Plus I cant find any on finance!) ... But with them also being new and not there yet, it might be worth leaving that a couple years to mature, so I thought I'd like to try the 29er's out!

I'm 6'1/6'2 with pretty long legs so a 29'er might help suit, though I know the bike size doesn't change as the frames are design to suit the wheel size so overall they're generally be the same, but I do like trying new technology out!

Can anyone help and try and sort my puzzled brain out?

I've tried to give you plenty of info, but if any more info is needed for advice please let me know :)!

Many thanks for all your time!

Comments

• MTBUK
    MTBUK Posts: 146
    sunsetmtb.co.uk

2013 clockwork 29er £849 brand new. Very upgrgradeable..... But this forum in past experience, has a bit of beef with Orange bikes..... I've always had orange.... And sunsetmtb are brilliant :D
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014