Lake district guide books

gallowayphantom
gallowayphantom Posts: 36
edited January 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi all
Looking to bring a couple of groups of pals to the lakes late this year and guide them round some routes for a weekend (part of my mtb guide course). Looking for a good detailed guide with some good routes, which could possibly be linked so to form an epic weekend route??. Couple of books I've seen are, Lake District Mountain Biking: Essential Trails. by Richard Staton & Chris Gore, Published by Verebrate Publishing, 2010 and Mountain Biking in the Lake District, by Ian Boydon, Published by Cicerone, 2011. Any views which is best

Comments

• jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Me and my mates use the Verebrate ones and we have a few of them. Descriptions are quite accurate so you can judge if a ride is correct for you and navigation has been fine. oh and the routes are usually good fun to ride.
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    V-Graphics(Vertibrate) Essential Trails is by far the better of the two and possibly the best guide book out there.Good descriptions/grading and routes shown on sections of OS maps.I have Lakes/Peaks/Dales,can't go wrong IMO.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    ibbo68 wrote:
    V-Graphics(Vertibrate) Essential Trails is by far the better of the two and possibly the best guide book out there.Good descriptions/grading and routes shown on sections of OS maps.I have Lakes/Peaks/Dales,can't go wrong IMO.

+potato

I have all but 2 of the series, each one is excellent.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I think the bike shops up there sell guides - like Bike Treks in Ambleside, which is an excellent shop. You may also be interested in this:
    http://www.ridethelakes.co.uk/phpbb3/index.php
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Briggo wrote:
    ibbo68 wrote:
    +potato
    I have all but 2 of the series, each one is excellent.
    My only gripe is that for some reason they stopped doing the CD-ROM versions :roll: I have Dark and White Peak on CD and the routes can be saved as a PDF then printed on A4 paper.Saves the book getting wet etc.Just a minor niggle.
  • rob39
    rob39 Posts: 479
    Thanks guys
  • Mark909
    Mark909 Posts: 456
    There's several rides you could do out of keswick if you want to base yourself somewhere and whinlatters around the corner if you want a day at a trail centre.

There's a guide you can pick up locally called Biking Routes in and around Keswick

There's some links to pdfs of it here

http://www.keswick.org/what-to-do/cycling-routes/