Voodoo Hoodoo or Kona Blast

sutts1971
sutts1971 Posts: 5
edited January 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi all, I am new to this forum and apologies this is probably a question asked all the time, however, I am looking for a new Mountain bike which I will use on the road when cycling with my young son and then on the downs for XC with my brother. I have narrowed it down to 2 bikes both of which are £499, the first is Voodoo Hoodoo which I have seen has some good reviews the second is a 2012 Kona Blast which I have found discounted to £499, I like the look of the Kona best but have not found many reviews so would appreciate any opinions. Many thanks

Comments

• hi

could you please post a link to the kona blast so i can see the spec of the bike!?!?? :)
  • Hi there thanks for the reply here is a link to the kona blast
    http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDeta ... ctID=52922
    Many thanks
  • CB75
    CB75 Posts: 49
    Ive always liked kona bikes and have an 09 kona five o deluxe. And comparing the 2 bikes you like i would love to say kona however looking at the spec of the bikes and the reviews of the hoodoo i would have to say the hoodoo. You are getting a better air fork for your money and a half decent spec of bike. Top reviews for the hoodoo!
  • Hi CB75 thanks for the comments I went to look at the Voodoo tonight and it is a good spec but I am not sure on the looks compared to the Kona, I know that should not be the decider but I really like the look of the Kona and have found it where I can get 0% finance so only £37 a month for 12 months which sounds like a right bargin with the £200 discount aswell!! Cant seem to find any reviews for the 2012 Kona Blast anywhere though so wondered if anyone had one?
  • Chris5.5
    Chris5.5 Posts: 154
    I have the 2011 Blast and am very happy with it. Mainly use it as a 2nd bike for riding with the kids or locally.

The frame is very well made and looks great, rides well too. All the components on it are fine, the forks are not as good as the voodoo ones but are good and work well.

Nothing has broken or failed in 8 months and the kona branded finishing kit (bars, stem, seatpost) all feel like good quality.

I have not felt the need to upgrade anything yet apart from the tyres, the ones supplied with mine were maxxis aspens and were not very grippy in the wet off road.

For £500 it is a good spec with a great frame, good forks and even though the gears are entry level, they work well.

Hope it helps. chris
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I too ride a Kona, a Four Deluxe, but of those I'd get the Voodoo without hesitation.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • get the voodoo, you can always tart it up after :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Voodoo's have some surprisingly good parts on them and are well worth upgrading, the stem I have off a Bantu weighs in at 136g for example which is about 2/3s the weight of most stems at that price point.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ElliesDad
    ElliesDad Posts: 245
    The Voodoo is a much better bike, you think you are getting a bargain with the Kona but as with most of the big brands you are paying for the name!
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • CB75
    CB75 Posts: 49
    i know sometimes we can go for looks over spec and as i said previously i own a kona and love the brand but the voodoo bikes are joe murray designed and he was one of the original kona guys. it definately is a better bike for the money. after riding it i dont think you would regret it.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You can't see a bike when your riding it - simples! the Voodoo's have some nice touches as well (check out how the seatpost clamp covers the slit in the seat tube)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Hi Guys

Many thanks for the input looks like it is Voodoo all the way. Much appreciated
  • hainman
    hainman Posts: 699
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/81-2012-id_8168918.html
    what about this....another well spec'd bike for the money..
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • Kona Blast, if they have the right size for you
    I had to beat them to death with their own shoes...
    HiFi Pro Carbon '09

LTS DH '96

The Mighty Dyna-Sore - The 90's?
  • Got a hoodoo in November did a lot of research before i purchased i couldnt find a better specced bike for the price .Having read loads of reviews i was not let down when i got the hoodoo what a bike for the price very pleased is an understatement and to be fair Halfords set the bike up well havnt had any problems so far and its had some abuse ,highly recomend the voodoo hoodoo.