new road bike

lancenewman1
lancenewman1 Posts: 36
edited January 2013 in Road beginners
i'm looking at swapping my current bike, for a road bike

i've been looking at specialized allez sport/elite and the roubaix

and now i've seen a pinarello fpduo for around the same price (about 100 quid more than the roubaix) so my question is, do i spend the extra on the pinarello? or get a new specialized?

Comments

• pinarellokid
    pinarellokid Posts: 1,208
    Pinarello
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    which ever fits you best and is most comfortable.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • elderone wrote:
    which ever fits you best and is most comfortable.

Exactly this. More important than price or brand is how well it fits. Test ride all of them and see which you like the ride of most.
  • now the problem, while i can test the specialized bikes, the pinarello is in the states, so is a guesstimation.

tbh with me riding only for leisure, i'm leaning towards the roubaix for the comfy less aggressive riding style.

obviously the 105 groupset and the pinarello is very very tempting, but like i said it's in the USA and it's a risk.
  • Why not look for one in the UK? Seems a bit far to order a bike!
  • cause it's around 1000 quid cheaper than the ones i find here!
  • richsieb
    richsieb Posts: 137
    cause it's around 1000 quid cheaper than the ones i find here!

Could you not just express your interest for purchasing a pinarello over here, try it all out for sizes and whatever. You can then say it's not for you or you will think about it and then order it from the states if you desired or go for the specialized. At least you'd have a better judgement of which to choose.
    Just a suggestion
  • Dellsinho
    Dellsinho Posts: 100
    I'd be cautious if it's 1k cheaper. That's a fair old chunk.

There's a lot of chinarellos going round fixed up as Pinas.

Unless of course it's new and from a reputable dealer, then do as the poster above says!
    Canyon Roadlite
    Boardman Hybrid
    Dolan FXE
  • richsieb wrote:

Could you not just express your interest for purchasing a pinarello over here, try it all out for sizes and whatever. You can then say it's not for you or you will think about it and then order it from the states if you desired or go for the specialized. At least you'd have a better judgement of which to choose.
    Just a suggestion

good idea, just got to find my local stockist.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019

Sounds like you've found yourself a chinerllo :)
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    The point about the Roubaix is that it kills road buzz stone dead, even with 120psi in the tyres. It's slightly more upright than a full road bike which is good for longer distances. You can't really compare it to a full bike, for me it's much better. I'm more comfortable so I can go faster for longer (fnar!).
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • DavidJB wrote:

Sounds like you've found yourself a chinerllo :)

I'm pretty sure he means with the exchange rate.

To the OP, have you already factored in shipping charges as well as customs/tax charges? You wont be able to get something like that through with having to pay VAT before it is released from the border.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    To the OP, have you already factored in shipping charges as well as customs/tax charges? You wont be able to get something like that through with having to pay VAT before it is released from the border.

This! Once upon a time (dunno if it still applies) the rule if importing from the states was just to change the dollar price to pounds sterling and that would be pretty much what you paid inc taxes and duties. ie a $3000 dollar bike would cost you £3000.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • i've ended up getting the roubaix for 870. should be here in a day or two.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Good choice, we expect a first ride report in due course........ :-)

Sounds a good price.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • yeah, first road report complete with aches and pains from being an unfit 31yr old incoming.

i'm gigging all weekend, so monday/tuesday when it gets here i'll be free to go for a decent first stint on it (13 miles or so)
  • i've ended up getting the roubaix for 870. should be here in a day or two.

That seems like a very good price, was it new? If yes where did you buy it from?
  • yeah brand new 2013 model on sale for 960, after a bit of haggling and flashing some pictures of the queen i managed to talk him down.

from my LBS
  • ok changed the bike.

cancelled the roubaix and bought a tarmac sl3 expert with full sram red kit, cost 1575 :D