Buying a Macbook. Humble Pie required

2»

Comments

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    johnfinch wrote:
    team47b wrote:
    I agree, that's why I insist on cycling on the left, even though I live in Portugal :roll:

Really? Do you really live in Portugal? I'd completely forgotten about that, seeing as you haven't mentioned it in the last 20 minutes.

(This message was powered by envy :wink: )

was my sarcasm hidden by a thinly veiled reference to the fact it is sunny here?

(This message is powered by Solar, no really it is) :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    Not sure why you would expect something cheap for 6TB of disc and 3 HD monitors and not expect to pay that much.
    Well I have the monitors (22 inch, 1920x1080 - about £100 each) and disks already.

Aside from that, I built my current system around an i7 2600K, 16 GB RAM and a Crucial SSD a year ago. I already had an old nVidia 8800GT from the old 'puter (fine for any of the FPSs up to and including Crysis) , and I bought a cheap passive 8400GS off the bay for 20 quid to support the third monitor.

Apart from the monitors and disks, it came to about £800. I don't need Xeon or the undeniable beauty of Apple hardware, so 2-3k is just ridiculous - I doubt my next upgrade will be more than about the same again, especially as disks (I'd probably need another one) are cheap again now that they've dried out the flooded factories.

have you considered buying or building a hackintosh?
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • have you considered buying or building a hackintosh?
    It's crossed my mind, but never got round to trying it. If I could dual boot my current computer into Windows or OS X (or run OS X on a VM), I'd certainly be interested to try it.

But as ToW says, I've no real reason to convert to Mac otherwise.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    I'm reading this thread on a 7 year old laptop running Windows XP. Scrounged it off my brother, bought a new battery and power cable for it, cheapo carrying case and paid a local fella to update the drivers for me (£100 all in).

Works fine and does everything I'd want a laptop to do.

You can keep your £1500 Apple mystery machines! :-D
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    ben@31 wrote:
    I'm now too scarred to put a coffee cup on a table near the laptop. I won't be making that mistake again.

Wow! You must have really bad hand injuries if you can't even hold the cup ;-)
  • paul_mck
    paul_mck Posts: 1,058
    lifetime windows fan now using a macbook air. frickin brilliant love it so much.

Not a fan of OSX though bar the swipe gestures which are excellent.

For windows run 7 in a dual boot (bootcamp) or on a VM (I use oracle virtualbox, very good, easy to use, and free).

For additional storage (128GB is surprisingly small) add a 64GB SD card using the new niftydrive holder. totally invisible.

would love a pro with retina but the air is SO portable its unreal that I cant see me swapping it for a good while yet.