Wheel problem

rw992
rw992 Posts: 3
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
A few months ago I crashed on my Spesh Camber Pro and damaged both the rear derailleur and front wheel. The derailleurs been fixed and is fine but unfortunately I've knocked my front wheel out of true.

I thought my LBS would be able to true the wheel but they've said the spokes would snap if they were to tighten them anymore and I've been left with a front wheel that has an annoying kink when it spins. The LBS has recommended I invest in a new wheel. Is this realistic or shall I take the wheel to another bike shop to see what they can do?

I think I'm right in assuming I need to buy a new rim/spokes and then obviously the hub and disc from my existing wheel can be used.

I've been looking for the current rim on my bike (Custom DT Swiss X420SL) but cant find it online anywhere. Can anyone recommend a decent rim that's not too pricey, preferably a DT swiss one. Also am I good to carry on riding with the wheel as it is?

Comments

• bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    If you can find the same rim, you won't need new spokes. You can rebuild the wheel yourself by having the old wheel and new rim in your lap, and move one spoke over at a time. If you don't feel confident in building a strong and straight wheel, you could then take it loosely laced to the shop for tensioning.
    If you buy a different rim, you'll almost certainly need new spokes. The EN321is a brilliant rim, strong and not heavy at all. One of the best value for money rims IMO.
  • rw992
    rw992 Posts: 3
    That rim looks decent has good reviews on crc. I may just invest in new spokes and that rim and get it built at my LBS as im not overly confident in my ability to put together a wheel - never done it before.

For the time being am I good to ride on a slightly askew wheel?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Depends how askew it is!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.