1st Club Run

staglad
staglad Posts: 20
edited January 2013 in Road beginners
I've been cycling a good few years now, on and off I should add. Since the back end of summer I've upped the frequency and distance quite a lot and was getting quite confident about my ability and fitness. Going out with a couple of good club riders on their winter "tap down" rides midweek and keeping up relatively well most of the time probably boosted my confidence a little too much.
I decided that I was now ready for the Sunday Club Run(faster group) and ventured out last Sunday quietly confident of keeping in the bunch for the 50/60 mile run.
A 40 mile run at 17mph average with high winds to the cafe stop soon put paid to the confidence I had and I must admit I was "done" when I got to the cafe.
A sandwich and flapjack didn't restore any energy and I soon found myself struggling, so much so that I dropped from the group and made my way home at my own pace along with a good mate to babysit.
Back at home and previous thoughts of adequecy turned to despondency. A wake up call was had.
A couple of days has passed and after the baptism of fire, I've learnt a few things from the experience and my thoughts have turned to determination and positivity. It was my first 50 miles by the way and I'm determined it be the first of many.
I just thought I'd share my experience with any folks in the same boat.
Cheers! :D

Comments

• elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Nothing like a reality check to see where were at.On the upside you know the score now and you have a defined target to aim for.just keep going and good luck.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    My local club has three separate rides but I daren't even join the slow group yet for exactly this reason. I'm hoping that I shall be a lot fitter once the weather improves and the evenings get lighter but I suspect I'll never be joining the fast group.

At least you tried, which is more than I have dared to do so far.
  • Strith
    Strith Posts: 541
    If that was your first 50 mile ride I really wouldn't let it bother you. You sound like you're not far off their pace though, I'd suggest you stick with that fast group rather than settle back to something you find easy.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I can't do the slow group yet ...
    Very dispiriting to see them all whizz up the first hill and into the distance
    Have new shiny carbon bike now so getting hopeful again
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    We've all got a level that we are comfortable at but the simple fact that you cannot escape is that the more riding that you do enables you to raise the comfort bar somewhat. You've taken the first step with a quicker group - stick at it, keep riding with them and you'll gradually acclimatise that little bit more. Just occasionally, drop back to the previous group for a confidence booster, you'll surprise yourself at how strong you've become.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    At least you've got the balls to have a go.
    I've been cycling for years and I'm at that level where I feel that I need a club run to push me that bit more, but I don't have the confidence to have a go. I'm a competent rider, distance isn't an issue, I like hills and maintain a fair pace but it's the riding in a group and the clique within the group that makes me keep my distance, maybe the fear of failure too.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Getting dropped from a club ride is almost a rite of passage.

When you work-up from not getting dropped from the slow ride, you then make a progression by getting dropped from the medium ride, the fast ride and possibly your first race too - it's happened to most cyclist be it through lack of training, fitness, illness or injury but importantly it's not about failure, but measuring progress. Stick at it.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • foggymike
    foggymike Posts: 862
    Hi Staglad, well done and don't be put off! Most people take a few rides to get used to group riding and learning how to conserve energy in the bunch - what you describe is completely normal as Monty says. It will get easier over the next few weeks if you keep going along and the satisfaction with finishing with the others will be worth the effort and perseverance.

Don't feel you need to go on the front until you get a bit stronger/fitter - just tell the guys that you need to sit in a few times until you get used to it and you'll be fine. Make sure you keep hydrated and well fuelled too as it makes quite a difference to your ability to stick with it when you're doing 50 milers.
  • Well done, I wish I'd had your confidence, At least you had a go.
    I tried joining a club, and they put me off before they even knew anything about me.
    All I need to do now is get fitter and find a new club.
    Wilier La Triestina
    Specialized Tarmac Comp
  • RDB66
    RDB66 Posts: 492
    Well done, I wish I'd had your confidence, At least you had a go.
    I tried joining a club, and they put me off before they even knew anything about me.
    All I need to do now is get fitter and find a new club.
    JC, check out our club if your after a new one. We've only been going a year and just signed up our 100 member.
    Depending where you are in Colchester, we're not far away. Between Sudbury and Hadleigh. We have 3 or 4 members from Col.

http://www.boxfordbikeclub.co.uk

If you do get in touch with them, tell them Dicky sent ya. You'll love it.
    A Brother of the Wheel. http://www.boxfordbikeclub.co.uk

09 Canyon Ultimate CF for the Road.
    2011 Carbon Spesh Stumpy FSR.