Planned Upgrades

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited January 2013 in Commuting chat
What upgrades are you planning this year?

My plans - Update the Aende from 105sc 7 speed to Dura Ace 8 speed; in light of a couple of Audax rides that I am participating in, one being particularly nasty and I will probably need all the gears I can get.

I am also considering some carbon wheels and a re-paint/powdercoat of the Surly 1 x 1.

**None bike related, but helpful - I am going to replace the frame to my garden gates.....!

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Bigger lock on the garage door.

Everything else will be spur of the moment.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    mrs - bigger boobs
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    mudcow007 wrote:
    mrs - bigger boobs

Then he'd have to buy a load of new Assos kit though.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    mudcow007 wrote:
    mrs - bigger boobs

I think that Hef upgraded on New years eve to; Blond, big boobs and super hot..... :shock:
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Probably the only thing I have planned are hydrualic brakes on the Volagi if Shimano get their act together and launch hydraulic Di2 shifters. Else I'm going to try to do nothing other than maintenance. Try... :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Am getting around to lacing up some new wheels for the Equilibrium. The rims are getting badly worn on the current ones, so it's an easy-ish thing to justify. Just need to save up enough for the rims now, as the rest is sitting on my desk, pleading with me.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    None here... just need to give her a good clean, true my rear wheel, degrease and lube, maybe some new pedals and shoes. And a big pot of MTFU lotion.
  • BigLee1
    BigLee1 Posts: 449
    a big pot of MTFU lotion.

Mines in the post as well :lol:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Big plan is weight weenie-ing the Look. I've already got the carbon rail Arione - must have saved me 50g :lol:

Then it will hopefully be 3T Ergonova bars (which will replace the Pro PLT bars thus eliminating evil Shimanoness from the bike) and some sub 1500g wheels. Either Shamal Ultras or something handbuilt if they can be built lighter than the Shamals (which are pretty light for alloys).

Should get it to the sub 7kg mark for no reason other than because I can 8)

Oh, and finishing my Orange P7 into Orange Crush build that I am currently dithering on.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Nothing major - new set of wheels for the Defy is the only current change planned*

*this may be subject to change given purchasing patterns of previous years...
    FCN 3 / 4
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    New TT frame - repairing a crash-damaged Giant Trinity, which will replace the beloved steel Cougar
    New wheels for the CX bike - thinking of Iron Cross rims on Hope hubs, but have 8 months to make my mind up
    New saddle for the CX bike, only because the old one is falling apart
    Experiment with Q-rings on the road/TT bikes (which share a chainset)
    Figure out why brakes don't work on the Brompton and fix them

Figure out what to do with the Cougar TT frame
    Figure out what to do with my 1970s Holdsworth Mistral frame

Think that's it...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • rolf_f
    TGOTB wrote:

Kit it out with vintage Suntour. Doesn't cost much and rather better and more interesting than equivalent Campagnolo. Result would be rather nice.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Rolf F wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:

Kit it out with vintage Suntour. Doesn't cost much and rather better and more interesting than equivalent Campagnolo. Result would be rather nice.
    Hmmm... For some reason I hadn't thought of Suntour. Nice idea :-)
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • rolf_f
    TGOTB wrote:
    Hmmm... For some reason I hadn't thought of Suntour. Nice idea :-)

Nobody ever does - that's why it is cheap (everyone elses loss though....) :lol:
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    New lighter wheels for the Felt, and put the Mavics from the Felt on the hybrid. Whilst I am at it I will probably upgrade the cassette to an Ultegra one and get some better tyres too.

Also need to get some SPD-SL shoes so I can use the pedals I bought for the Felt. Although I might just get SPDs for both bikes and some more casual shoes
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    N+1 something in titanium
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    I rather fancy upgrading the Jake to something like this:
    sunday-disc.jpg
    Although I might have to reign myself in a bit. I could go frame and forks and swap some bits over, then I'd only need wheels and brakes. Seems entirely sensible. I've kind of got the go ahead off the Mrs. :D
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I might need wheels because my aksiums are wearing out, but thats about it, I don't NEED anything else.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Want something like this to kill myself chasing segments and miles on:

specialized-secteur-sport-disc-13.jpg
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • veronese68

I looked at one of those. I reckon you can get a better spec for the money though. Problem is the geometry is not quite as sporty. Still looks good though, is that the first properly mainstream road bike with discs rather than a cross dresser?
  • mudcow007
    no real upgrades, but i have just bought new cassette, chain, brake blocks, cables an bar tape

i dont think 3000 miles on one chain is too bad
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Planned upgrades over the coming months for the focus.

105 Chainset and BB, BB7 mechanical brakes and some tarty yellow bar tape.

All the while saving for a new Canyon.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I looked at one of those. I reckon you can get a better spec for the money though. Problem is the geometry is not quite as sporty. Still looks good though, is that the first properly mainstream road bike with discs rather than a cross dresser?

It must be one of the first though, reading reviews, seems like it's designed to have some minor off-road capability with fat tyre capability. Don't think it's too light though. Is it on Tiagra? It's shape looks very similar to the Volagi - endurance geometry. Despite the V's geometry, it's been quicker than my Cayo which was very aggressive in the set-up that came from the PO.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rubertoe
    MRS, it is on Tiagra and is a grand.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• I'm quite taken by the Spesh, also given work have entered cyclescheme this year, but I'm going to try and restrict myself to a set of handbuilts for the Genesis, and maybe a 105/10 speed upgrade from the ol Tiagra/9.

Maybe a carbon post too.

Oh, and a garmin.
    AKA Captain Blackbeard
    Going Top to Bottom - E2E for Everyman and Headway - Spet 2013
  • mudcow007
    Veronese68 wrote:

ooow i like it, next years model of mine i think

dammit now i want discs

i miss my cape after getting rid of my tricross...
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Prorace (commuter) needs new chain, cassette, big ring and probably brake blocks. Will do all that fairly soon. Come summer I'll stick some Keos on in place of the SPDs. Might get some handbuilt wheels for it as well (which I'll use on best bike for Flanders ride).

Have some tarty new carbon bars for the Viner. Will need brake blocks / tyres refreshing at some point and maybe new drivetrain but otherwise its great as it is.

Ridgeback needs a new front inner tube (and liposuction!)
  • veronese68
    rubertoe wrote:
    Strange. I looked at one in the Specialized shop in Kingston and it was on Sora and a grand. Evans had a couple of CX bikes with discs and 105 for a grand which looked rather better value. The Pinnacle had 105 and BB7 brakes.
  • rubertoe
    Veronese68 wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:
    Strange. I looked at one in the Specialized shop in Kingston and it was on Sora and a grand. Evans had a couple of CX bikes with discs and 105 for a grand which looked rather better value. The Pinnacle had 105 and BB7 brakes.

just assumed at that price point it would be tiagra!

What disc brakes does it use? r505?

• jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    New handbuilt wheelset by March - and then I want to try out a Chinese venge type frame on my commuter - other than that purchases may include a replacement saddle on my main bike and ugrade of rear deraileur and shifters (not overly worried about last two though)