Ride London 100

brindlescoops
brindlescoops Posts: 464
edited January 2013 in Road beginners
Hi,

I am tempted to enter the Ballot for the Ride London 100 in Aug, as I have reaslised from Last year that to really get my self motivated to train, I need to set myself specific targets. The reason I am hesitant, is that I have never entered a Sportive before, in fact the only real distance ride I have done was London to Brighton last year. I average around 14.5mph on a 30 mile ride.

My thinking is I can get much fitter in the 8 months, but am I going to be biting off more than I can chew?

Cheers
My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.

Comments

• damov2
    damov2 Posts: 66
    Well my longest ride is currently 32 miles at around 14.5mph ave and I've entered the ballot! I say go for it theres plenty of time to get fit enough.
  • but am I going to be biting off more than I can chew?
    Well I'd done no proper cycling at all for 25 years until three months ago. Then, 20 miles seemed a long way. Yesterday, 45 miles didn't seem all that far, and I could comfortably have done more.

I'm hoping that in a few months time, 60 miles or more will seem quite normal.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Steve236
    Steve236 Posts: 212
    Also in the ballot and my longest is 39 miles at 15.2 mph average (today).

As I mentioned on another thread, I bombed at about 30 miles due (I think) to a lack of nutrition but 8 months to iron out little hiccups like that. Also, I haven't even got a road bike yet. If I get into the ride, it'll be my excuse to finally get one :D
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    I'd bear in mind that it won't be like a normal sportive. Given the massive number of riders they're trying to squeeze in I would expect huge bunching like on the London - Brighton rather than smooth riding on clear roads.

I think it's a toss up between 1) risk of getting stuck in huge groups vs 2) really unusual event. Should be fun though and there is a big motivation benefit to be gained from riding in a huge group that should make the miles fly by.
  • neilg7777
    neilg7777 Posts: 142
    Go for it I did my first 100 mile Sportive last september and I had only done the L2B last year . The Sportive was great and has really given me the bug. Why not sign up for another Sportive in may/june that offer 2 distances ie: 100 miles or 60 miles and see how you feel and you will see how your trainings going
    Neil
  • I've also entered the ballot having never done that sort of distance. Plenty of time to build up to it.
  • Cheers Guys!

I'll do my entry tonight, just wanted to make sure that I wouldnt be the only Chubby one at the back of a field of Bradley Wiggins wannabees!
    My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    I've entered the ballot - not my kind of thing, but it'll be an event and a half. Timing is not great with London-Edinburgh-London finishing on the Friday morning - but worth it just to see so many cyclists on the road.
  • Same boat, but I am pushing the miles to be ready for the Peterborough100 in April.

If you really get motivated and join a local club it all becomes much easier. Just did 30 miles in my extended lunch break today. Cycled 40 miles to my sister in laws for NYE and then back the next day with a pretty heavy hangover. I am now hovering on the 28km ph mark for these and I am trying to push myself for the under 50miles to be at 30.

10 months ago I was 4 stone heavier and had given up exercise for good. The doctor at the work medical changed all that and I am becoming a reasonably in shape 46 year old !
  • richsieb
    richsieb Posts: 137
    Tried entering the ballot to find you had to be 18. The website fancied telling me after i'd filled in the application :evil:
  • Done. Better put the pies away and get the bike out!
  • Name has been thrown into the ballot too. Should be a good training target.
  • If getting a place in the ballot fails, how should I go about getting a charity place?

Can you leave it till the results of the ballot come out, or would attempting to get a charity place become a ballot in itself if I left it that long?
  • nick1972
    nick1972 Posts: 144
    Another one in the ballot. My longest ride to date is 42 miles but think this will be an amazing event. Only problem with a charity place is the required sponsorship
  • Nick1972 wrote:
    Only problem with a charity place is the required sponsorship
    Well yes, but presumably the charities have a limited number of places too?

There will be 50,000 disappointed people after the ballot - many of whom will try and get a charity place. I'm just wondering if I should perhaps go for a charity place now to be on the safe side.
  • I'm in the ballot but just had a thought...whats to stop you joining the ride just after the start line???

Ok you wont get a medal etc but you could still do it I would've thought. Far too many people for them to check and throw people off, and as you're on public roads not sure they'd be able to? Whaddya fink?
  • I wish you lot would stop entering the ballot. My odds a reducing by the second!! :D

Currently got my name in the ballot for this, London to Brighton and potentially LEJoG in July. My longest ride at the minute is 27km. 1000 miles in 10 days....how hard can it be?
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Not entering mysel but I would imagine that it will have a similar buzz to the London marathon. A pain in the butt to be part of but hey, I was there...
  • essjaydee
    essjaydee Posts: 917
    I'm in the ballot but just had a thought...whats to stop you joining the ride just after the start line???

Ok you wont get a medal etc but you could still do it I would've thought. Far too many people for them to check and throw people off, and as you're on public roads not sure they'd be able to? Whaddya fink?

It would make you a complete and utter twunt :twisted:

That's what I finks.
  • essjaydee wrote:
    I'm in the ballot but just had a thought...whats to stop you joining the ride just after the start line???

It would make you a complete and utter twunt :twisted:

That's what I finks.

I have to say that after paying for and raising momey for charity on the last London to Brighton I got pretty peed off with the people who joined a mile or so after the start for free with no charitable contribution and clogged the road up for everyone else, there is a reason why numbers are limited! :D
  • Fair enough -wasn't saying I was intending to do it!

But this isn't a charity ride for most people so it's not the same as the nodder to Brighton ride.