Superstar Sentinel XC rims

milko9000
milko9000 Posts: 533
edited January 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hiya. I am pretty much about to buy some Tesla-hubbed Pacenti TL28s from Superstar I think, they seem pretty good from early reports. I guess I could yet be swayed into doing Stans rims instead but it seems like not worth bothering about. HOWEVER. For bike tart reasons I'd really like some orange rims (black hubs). Almost the only ones I've found in stock anywhere that answer to this are Superstar's own Sentinels, which I can find absolutely naff all information about beyond their own catalogue page. Anyone heard anything good/bad/indifferent? I'm scared they'll be too weedy - I'm not a heavy rider but I have been known to land badly on occasion and I'd be happier to be relatively bulletproof in that regard.

The other runner is Spank Tweet Tweet, which aside from the ludicrous name are a fetching shade of anodized orange. But also aimed at dirt jumps, whereas I'll be riding trails and suchlike. Should I care?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I thuink you'll find the spanks are as heavy as the rock of Gibraltar, not good for an XC bike.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • milko9000
    This is for my "hardcore hardtail" project so weight isn't an absolute concern... on the other hand it sort of is, as I'm trying to make it plenty lighter than my other bike that I've built quite burly. Does give away about 200g per rim to the Pacenti or Sentinels. Thanks!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    200g/rim is inthe region of 50% more!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    I'd bet they're reasonably tough, but the pacentis are wider and probably just as tough. The sentinels are pretty new so that's why there's no info on them, they do look very good value though. If you really want the colour, go superstar, if you're not bothered, then on paper atleast IMO the pacentis edge it due to the extra width
  • milko9000
    Cheers. Hmm, decisions. You know, I even briefly bodged some photoshop work to see if black worked and it pretty much does. The width looks to be 2mm wider on the Pacenti (internal at least), does that make such a difference?