Millar on Barry

frenchfighter
frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
edited January 2013 in Pro race
As you know these two riders are very close which is fine but there is something that I can't quite get around unless I am missing information.

Did Millar know Barry was a doper/doping while they were friends all this time, or was he only aware of the issue close to when everyone else was (after USADA)?

If he did know all these years then I wonder how he can reconcile that with being an outspoken anti-doping person yet his closest friend was doing just what he was preaching not to.

Or he didn't know and yet know he still feels very good will to Barry (there is a short piece by him on Barry in that Anthology), despite the fact he would have concealed something very important and clearly an issue for Millar?

Anyone has more information or an interpretation to shed light on this matter.

Ps. I like Millar. I don't particularly like Barry.

stage_12_tdf_2012_o-nev_7951-Edit.jpg
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    edited January 2013
    My take is this:

Barry claims to have stoped doping in 06. Millar and Barry seem to have become friends after Millar moved to Girona - which I think (thinking back to his book) was after he joined Garmin, around 07, maybe 08. So I dont think they've been close during Barry's doping years. As for afterwards, I'm sure that Millar would have suspected that Barry doped at USPS but as for whether Barry actually confessed to him or whether its a subject that the pros of the 90s-00s just will not openly talk about to each other mano e mano...I strongly suspect the latter....

But whatever, Millar isnt the type to turn away from another rider who doped during 'those' years but hadn't confessed. After all as Millar himself has said, if he hadnt have been arrested he would probably never have confessed.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,179
    Nice pic that, looks quite old school - it could be down to the B&W but I don't think it's only that :?
  • frenchfighter
    My take is this:

Barry claims to have stoped doping in 06. Millar and Barry seem to have become friends after Millar moved to Girona - which I think (thinking back to his book) was after he joined Garmin, around 07, maybe 08. So I dont think they've been close during Barry's doping years. As for afterwards, I'm sure that Millar would have suspected that Barry doped at USPS but as for whether Barry actually confessed to him or whether its a subject that the pros of the 90s-00s just will not openly talk about to each other mano e mano...I strongly suspect the latter....

But whatever, Millar isnt the type to turn away from another rider who doped during 'those' years but hadn't confessed. After all as Millar himself has said, if he hadnt have been arrested he would probably never have confessed.

Sounds fair to me. I thought they had known eachother longer.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Its a shame, I used to really enjoy Barry's writing about cycling but I find it difficult to do so now.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Its a shame, I used to really enjoy Barry's writing about cycling but I find it difficult to do so now.

What's the problem? Do you think his post-drugs writing isn't up to standard? Do you think that he was perhaps relying on a bit too much LSD to help the creative process?
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • frenchfighter
    Its a shame, I used to really enjoy Barry's writing about cycling but I find it difficult to do so now.

Yeah there was some decent stuff on the blog. There is a fine line I think though where it starts to become poetic and more focus in put into the writer and fancy words then the overall. Generally though I prefer that limit to be tested.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Its a shame, I used to really enjoy Barry's writing about cycling but I find it difficult to do so now.

What's the problem? Do you think his post-drugs writing isn't up to standard? Do you think that he was perhaps relying on a bit too much LSD to help the creative process?

I know its hypocritical because I absolutely love Millar's writing. Maybe its too soon, maybe the outright lies back in 2010 when Landis named him. So...Michael Barry: I need time and space before returning to your words...
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    My take : Of course Millar knew Barry had doped. Which makes his outrageous and out of order reaction to Floyd spilling the beans even worse.

[And anyone who thinks Sky didn't know he doped, you may be interested in the bridge I have for sale]
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    My take : Of course Millar knew Barry had doped. Which makes his outrageous and out of order reaction to Floyd spilling the beans even worse.

[And anyone who thinks Sky didn't know he doped, you may be interested in the bridge I have for sale]

Unbelievably Sky fall for the 'he's a nice guy so can't dope' line every time. Their people were told that Barry was a charger and chose to ignore it. They believe all the BS sold to them by Dave B.
  • Trev The Rev
    Trev The Rev Posts: 1,040
    The opinions a caught red handed drugs cheat holds about a self confessed drugs cheat are not credible. The company a man keeps says a lot about him, Brailsford was with Millar when he was caught red handed and employed Barry, Lienders and Yates.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    iainf72 wrote:

Unbelievably Sky fall for the 'he's a nice guy so can't dope' line every time. Their people were told that Barry was a charger and chose to ignore it. They believe all the BS sold to them by Dave B.

If us internet experts were sure that Barry had doped then I imagine Sky had a pretty good idea too. I get the feeling that back in '09 before all the Armstrong stuff looked like coming out in the wash that Sky were happy to ignore the past a bit (like most cycling teams) if they were content that he wasn't doping any more. With all that's happened this year they now seem to feel that that policy (which is basically Garmin's rule) is no longer acceptable.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Sorry, how can you LOVE Millar and HATE Barry when they are the same animals?

When caught Millar totally rejected any notion that he doped, he hired lawyers, he asked for the B sample to be tested. He faught and faught.

Gents, there is no difference.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400

When caught Millar totally rejected any notion that he doped, he hired lawyers, he asked for the B sample to be tested. He faught and faught.

Millar scores higher on the "Frenchometer" as he gets into breaks and doesn't ride for Sky.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

Is this sarcasm?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Nope, just a bit of frustration re: the pidgeon-holing of riders who've all doped.

Public reaction needs to go through the same tiresome lifecycle before someone is deemed OK again, so there's no harm in short circuiting it. Millar and Barry both doped (Barry didn't get caught) and both profited from doping before and after (Barry's career lasted 7 years after he says he stopped). True, Barry's not riding any more but he was pretty much 'done' anyhow.

There are more similarities than differences. So seriously, I would appreciate someone to lay out the arguement of how Barry differs from Millar given they're all revolving around the same carousel.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Sorry, how can you LOVE Millar and HATE Barry when they are the same animals?

I don't think you get offered a B Sample test for them finding syringes in your house. I think he persisted in the manner you outline for about 48 hours.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440

I don't think you get offered a B Sample test for them finding syringes in your house. I think he persisted in the manner you outline for about 48 hours.

He tried to get them to search his other apartment to see if there were any syringes there obviously.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • prawny wrote:

He tried to get them to search his other apartment to see if there were any syringes there obviously.

Class :)