changing to 2 x 10 setup....whats needed?

mystery h
mystery h Posts: 154
edited January 2013 in MTB buying advice
going forward to change to a 2 x 10 setup, but what do i need to setup efficiently?

would this suffice: xtr rear mech gs (medium cage), with a xtr cassette 11-36 teeth coupled with a 36 or 38, 26t chainrings with bashguard

front mech and shifters will also be changed to double just wanted to make sure the mech was adequate length being medium cage and the cassette and chainrings were at the correct ratio's

any advice would be appreciated

Comments

• pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    It will be fine , I ran a bike with a 11-36 cassette and a 24-36 upfront and it was fine for off road duties, the med cagewill be fine too. If you can go for the shadow plus rear mech, they really do work.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    Also go for a SLX or XT cassette over the XTR. XTR cassettes are light but nowhere near as durable as the others. I actually managed to warp two of the ti cogs on a XTR cassette.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Going 2x10 from what? 3x10, 2x9, 3x9?

No need to change front shifter, often no need to change the front mech.

Unless you are currently 9 speed, there is no need to change the rear mech.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mystery h
    mystery h Posts: 154
    thanks guys,

im going from a 2 x 9 setup but wanted to benefit from the extra gearing, although some components of the 9spd would suffice, i just wanted to have a complete replacement and use the 9spd equipment on a new build
  • The Rookie
    In that case....
    Cassette, shifters, chain, rear mech and front mech (unless your current one won't fit the new farme in which case it would be worth a try!) New rings for your crankset, no need to change the crankset.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    He's right, you can fit rings of your choice (I liked TA Chinooks) to your existing cranks.
    Also go for a SLX or XT cassette over the XTR. XTR cassettes are light but nowhere near as durable as the others.

I disagree, I've used them for years and never had any problems. Perhaps very marginally less durable than XT, but I've never had any issues with the ti sprockets, never heard of anyone having issues either - I'd be sending your cassette back to Madison. XTR is 50g lighter after all.

That said... X.0 is marginally lighter still, all steel and only slightly more expensive. XX is far lighter, but near on double the cost. When I replace my XTR it'll probably be with X.0.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    For 2 extra gears, not different gears it hardly seems worth it. I'd need to have knackerd at least 3 things.
  • The Rookie
    It's not necesarily 2 extra gears though (2x9 doesn't give you 18 gears but in reality 12 or less if you never actually se the lowest).....depending on what gear ratios he has now, but compared to 2x9 with 22/32 and 11-34 a 24/36 11-36 will give him a slightly lower lowest gear and one extra gear (at the top end) but closer ratios.personally on 2x10 I'd run something like 26/38 as very very few people ever use the very lowest gear (making counting it pretty redundant).