Rodriguez to Argos-Shimano?

sonny73
sonny73 Posts: 2,203
edited January 2013 in Pro race
http://road.cc/content/news/72611-joaquim-rodriguez-reportedly-headed-argos-shimano
La Gazzetta dello Sport reports in its print edition today that according to reliable sources, Rodriguez has taken the initiative and has already signed an agreement with the Dutch team, Argos Shimano, which will race for the first time under a UCI ProTeam licence this season, having previously held a Professional Continental one.

Comments

• LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Odd choice, unless he's bringing a handful of climbers with him.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • He probably doesn't have that much choice.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Covered earlier in transfers thread

Like the Sky kit, lets create three supplemental threads as the '2013 Gear' thread is not sufficient
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310

Like the Sky kit, lets create three supplemental threads as the '2013 Gear' thread is not sufficient

Would J Rod not be a significant enough rider to warrant his own discussion thread?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203

Sorry, forgot about that thread and didn't see your post, was penning mine at the time you posted.
    I'm not involved in the supplemental Sky threads, so you'll have to approach others about those.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Depends if he is going to be a GT guy or the Puncheur guy this year - and it's not like Katusha were ever much of a super team for him. Think it would be a great move for the Team, perhaps less so for J-Rod, but there is nowhere he can go that has nt either got a leader in place or has a strong team...

I'm struggling to think of a better option really...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    Depends if he is going to be a GT guy or the Puncheur guy this year - and it's not like Katusha were ever much of a super team for him. Think it would be a great move for the Team, perhaps less so for J-Rod, but there is nowhere he can go that has nt either got a leader in place or has a strong team...

Purito's been banging on that he wants to win a GT this year, and he wants to have a good crack at the Tour. Doesnt sound like puncheur action's figuring high on his list of priorities this year. And who would be at Argos-Shimano to support him? And a hell of a kick in the teeth for Kittel and Degenkolb...
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    ddraver wrote:

Cannondale?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/rodrigu ... e-out-move

Argos say they haven't been talking to him. Agent says they have a few offers.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    ddraver wrote:

Purito's been banging on that he wants to win a GT this year, and he wants to have a good crack at the Tour. Doesnt sound like puncheur action's figuring high on his list of priorities this year. And who would be at Argos-Shimano to support him? And a hell of a kick in the teeth for Kittel and Degenkolb...

Well, ok, if he wants to win GT's then it's not the place for him, but had he wanted to be a puncheur, Kittel and Degenkolb are irrelevant and he does nt need any more or less support than a sprinter would need anyway

Cannondale have his biggest puncheur rival, Sagan

If he wants to win GT's then (and I'm going to put it out there that he won't) all the above is irrelevant of course - however he may not have a choice this year, as I said, I can't think of a GT team that is somehow lacking a leader this year (funnily enough)

Edit - and I certainly can't think of one with enough spare cash lying around to afford him...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    If that transfer happens I don't think JRod will be as dominant as we're used to see him.. If you know what I mean..