Ropey Strava

richsieb
richsieb Posts: 137
edited January 2013 in The cake stop
The last few times i've ridden with strava running on an android device, the route has not followed the road i took, instead cut it short. This means that my rides don't include any segments. I've tried it on two devices now and got the same result which suggests the devices are struggling to gauge a signal in the locations i'm riding.

Are the Garmin devices running with strava better at obtaining and maintaining a signal, or has anybody got any suggestions?

Comments

• MTBUK
    MTBUK Posts: 146
    I'm seeing an increasing amount of similar complaints in various other forums also..... seems Strava could be getting a bit glitchy........ i use the Garmin system instead. I'm not interested in racing some spotty paperboy..... I just like to log the route and miles.
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • richsieb
    So you're not experiencing problems with it on the garmin? Yeah me neither, it's just nice to have something to compare yourself to to see how you're doing against overs. Plus it's always a bonus if you end up doing well on a segment
  • islwyn
    islwyn Posts: 650
    No problems on Garmin here and I've used it last few days.
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,171
    I use my Android phone and haven't had any issues, been using it quite a bit too over xmas.
    Mañana
  • corona
    corona Posts: 116
    I've always used sportstracker on my old nokia and loved it. I gave me all i needed, average speeds current speed, very accurate and you could upload to the sportstracker website if you wanted. At x-mas I started using my sons old iphone. I downloaded strava , I was really looking forward to it but it has been a real dissapointment. It is so much less accurate, it seems to pick me up only every 50 metres or so. Dont know if this is a phone problem or a Strava problem.
  • herb71
    herb71 Posts: 253
    I use Strava on android with no issues. I did notice a new update just before Xmas, so if the problems are recent it could be caused by the update.
  • pb21
    I find it very accurate, it picks me up going around roundabouts, even small ones. Also if I ride both ways on one road you can differentiate what side of the road I am travelling on.

I would suspect it is your phone, or a combination of your phone and Strava not liking each other.
    Mañana
  • pb21
    Herb71 wrote:
    I use Strava on android with no issues. I did notice a new update just before Xmas, so if the problems are recent it could be caused by the update.

Could be something to do with it as I haven't updated mine yet.
    Mañana
  • corona
    pb21 wrote:
    I find it very accurate, it picks me up going around roundabouts, even small ones. Also if I ride both ways on one road you can differentiate what side of the road I am travelling on.

I would suspect it is your phone, or a combination of your phone and Strava not liking each other.
    Yeah my nokia using sportstracker would give me the same accuracy, it always gave me a kick to see where i had swerved to avoid something. It may be the phone or the combination, then again it may be something to do with me being a bit of a techno duffer, I will get my son onto it.
  • richsieb
    Perhaps it's something to do with this update because the problem occurred around the same time
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Some GPS devices have to be calibrated once in a while to make sure they are up to date with the satellite data. Probably no more than once a month depending on the device. In car sat navs can track a lot more satellites to triangulate its position. Theoretically all you need it 2 satellites but for accuracy down to 10m you need at least 4. I am not sure all smartphones have that amount of tech crammed into them. a smartphone mainly uses phone towers to plot its position even when your gps is on. Therefore, if you go into an area where the phone signal is particularly weak it may have a bearing on your gps signal too.

I would reinstall the software if its an android/iphone app you are using.
  • corona
    A bit more success today, much more accurate, I left my phone outside for half an hour to allow it to pick up an accurate signal, my route was much more accurate. I still can't work out how to get my current speed and my average speed on the screen as i ride, I find that very useful to push me during a ride.
  • smoggysteve
    What phone are you using?
  • corona
    I'm using an iphone 4
  • smoggysteve
    Just playing with mine, not sure you can display both, which is a shame. can only see ave speed. Ill look into it further
  • corona
    If you find out how to, i'd be interested. thanks very much.
    To be honest I am tempted just go back to my nokia. It does exactly what i want and its smaller. I was looking forward to Strava, but I think it has only become popular due to the KOM segment and as I have no hills near me, and only bout a half dozen riders (and i know them all) that particular function is not as exciting here as it would be in UK or elsewhere in Europe
  • smoggysteve
    I think the KOM part has improved and tarnished it slightly. There are some very dodgy looking times cropping up on KOM, some are deleted but I am sure some are just some guy going up a hill on a scooter. People will cheat. Human nature
  • vino2012
    vino2012 Posts: 114
    It's a loss of satelitte reception. It happens to me when i put my edge 500 in my back pocket when running.
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    I think the KOM part has improved and tarnished it slightly. There are some very dodgy looking times cropping up on KOM, some are deleted but I am sure some are just some guy going up a hill on a scooter. People will cheat. Human nature

I have only just started using strava and as you say some of the times do look a bit dodgy , i am sure there are super fit people out there but some are just blatant.
    FCN 3/5/9
  • richsieb
    The usual dodgy results today which make it look like i decided to follow the road by riding in the neighbouring fields... May try to leave my phone on a bit before i set off, if that doesn't work, the programme isn't much use until i can get a garmin
  • corona
    Leaving my phone outside for half an hour worked for me, it's gets quicker each time and finds a signal almost immediately now. Still yet to be convinced that Strava is the one for me, Why not give Sportstracker a try, or my wife uses a similar one called Edmondo or something similar.