Failed first 50 attempt today

elderone
elderone Posts: 1,410
edited January 2013 in Road beginners
Got out on the road bike for the first time in ages and decided to have a crack at my first 50.Started off well with the first 20 done at a good for me pace and feeling good.Then once turned back towards home it was just into a massive head wind and driving rain, my speed dropped like an whores knickers.Any way I ploughed on but just got colder and more fatiqued trying to make headway against the wind.I decided enough was enough and went home doing 36.2 miles at 14.2mph average.
Bit dissapointed not getting a 50 but always another time.
Any one else have a good or bad ride out today.
Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori

Comments

• A strong headwind is definitely character building. For a first fifty its worth heading out into the wind for 25 mile if you can then turn around and sail home. 36 winter miles is a nice start for 2013 though :)
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    You'll be fine, shite weather at the wrong time of year. Summer... I'll keep going but at this time of year it's a drag, but you've just got to put the time in and come April you'll be flying.
  • I did 30miles today with 15.6mph average (which is the most I've done in one go). Nice and sunny but the wind was a pain at times! Great when its behind you though.
  • Easy solution - look at a detailed local weather forecast which gives wind direction, and then plan your outward section to be into the headwind and behind you on the return leg. The weather is somewhat directional here and winter means wind from the west pretty much every day so that the way I head. In the summer its more from the south so off in the direction of Box Hill I go.
  • elderone.. Had exactly the same feeling out today, just desperate to get out so went for a quick blast after work. Thought I'd tackle a hill near home that I'd never managed without stopping before, but felt good so turned off towards it ... 90% of the way up it heart rate @ 186 just couldn't turn the pedals anymore... From that point on it was pedalling through treacle, I workout most days specifically on leg strength and today Made me feel like what's the point..I seem to be making no progress.

That being said I will get up that b@stard hill in 2013! :)
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I cut my ride short today because I wasn't enjoying it... Windy, cold and sleety so headed for home and live for another day
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    Got 'round my loop today and found the wind a bit of a pain, as I copped it on the home run too!
    Luckily I had no intention of doing 50 miles though, and settled for a few climbs instead :oops:
  • elderone
    Cheers lads some good replies there with useful tips.I wont worry now and just wait for spring.
    Unless it all just drops nicely into place one day. :D
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    I went out this morning to do 20-30 miles. But after 5 miles came off really heavy on a roundabout - really oily on the roundabout and landed hard. RHS badly road rashed - holes in all my clothing, but bike damaged - hood all bent. Tried to continue but felt sore and not really enjoying it. So turned round and went home.

Bike will go to shop tomorrow for fix. Bound to be costly. Wife has just sown jacket together, bibs will become old ones now.

Gutted - I'll heal, but bike and clothes are a different matter. I had just fitted crud roadracers yesterday and was keen to see how they fared. They were ok after off!
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • 16mm
    16mm Posts: 545
    55k at 29.2kph. Definately hard work, but for the same effort in summer should be much quicker:-)

Riders travel miles to ride 20k climbs, but then bail on 20k headwinds :-) Just ride.
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,920
    #david2012 wrote:
    elderone.. Had exactly the same feeling out today, just desperate to get out so went for a quick blast after work. Thought I'd tackle a hill near home that I'd never managed without stopping before, but felt good so turned off towards it ... 90% of the way up it heart rate @ 186 just couldn't turn the pedals anymore... From that point on it was pedalling through treacle, I workout most days specifically on leg strength and today Made me feel like what's the point..I seem to be making no progress.

It's not about leg strength when riding a bike, it's about how much power you produce. I presume you are talking about weights at a gym for your leg strength? If I'm correct then drop those sessions in favour of riding your bike, you'll see progress then :D
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • I too cut my ride a bit short yesterday. Nice in the sun, but that not great in the wind.

Guess its a case of welcome to britain in Jan (or any other month), but what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger. Just think of is a good old fashioned winter training & come the summer months when its warmer and short shorts time you will thank yourself that you rode fit in the winter months.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • nick1972
    nick1972 Posts: 144
    I went out at 08:15 on new Years day and it was like having closed roads. It was great not having to look for cars every two minutes. I ended up doing 42 miles @15.6mph average. I'm trying to put in as many miles now to enjoy my first summer of riding.
  • 16mm
    16mm Posts: 545
    Nick1972 wrote:
    I went out at 08:15 on new Years day and it was like having closed roads. It was great not having to look for cars every two minutes. I ended up doing 42 miles @15.6mph average. I'm trying to put in as many miles now to enjoy my first summer of riding.
    I'd hoped to get out early too for the same reason. It's a great feeling.
  • Steve236
    Steve236 Posts: 212
    Elderone - did you take on fluid/snacks on the way?

The reason I ask is that I did a 40 miler today which is the longest ride I've tried for many a year (been doing lots of 15-20 milers recently). It wasn't too windy and I was going well until about 30 miles when my legs suddenly lost all power and at about the same time I noticed I was starving. Stupidly, I didn't have any drinks or snacks with me and was nowhere near a shop. Anyway, I pushed on but those last 10 miles were slow and hard work. I nearly emptied the fridge when I got home.

Still, enjoyed it in an out-of-body experience sort of way and learnt a useful lesson.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    You need to think that you should be eating after an hour in the saddle (rough guide and some will argue the time / distance etc) or you'll crash (bonk) like that. I've found that heading out in to the wind, while a complete pain when you start, really helps the journey back, but I take bananas and malt loaf whenever I go over 20 miles, with an energy gel or two as emergency backup.

I dom't actually NEED them for anything like 20 miles but it allows me options when I'm out and it's always good to have the backup.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Steve236
    Steve236 Posts: 212
    but I take bananas and malt loaf whenever I go over 20 miles, with an energy gel or two as emergency backup.

As will I from now on! Malt loaf eh - Is that good fuel then?
  • elderone
    Steve236 wrote:
    Elderone - did you take on fluid/snacks on the way?

The reason I ask is that I did a 40 miler today which is the longest ride I've tried for many a year (been doing lots of 15-20 milers recently). It wasn't too windy and I was going well until about 30 miles when my legs suddenly lost all power and at about the same time I noticed I was starving. Stupidly, I didn't have any drinks or snacks with me and was nowhere near a shop. Anyway, I pushed on but those last 10 miles were slow and hard work. I nearly emptied the fridge when I got home.

Still, enjoyed it in an out-of-body experience sort of way and learnt a useful lesson.
    Yes steve,i had a banana before i left and took some soreen which i ate.Also took a litre of fluid which i mostly drunk,so no wories on that score.
    I sacked it because it was just no fun at all and a slog.My legs etc were fine and no physical reason to go home,more i,d just had enough and thought,try another day.I probly used more energy in that weather than i would on a 50 on a nice day.
    Always better to take food drink and not need it,than need it and dont have it :D
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Steve236 wrote:
    but I take bananas and malt loaf whenever I go over 20 miles, with an energy gel or two as emergency backup.

As will I from now on! Malt loaf eh - Is that good fuel then?

Unfortunately yes - can't stand it.

Also good cycling 'real food' fuels are:
    Banana
    Flap jack
    Fig Rolls
    Jam Sarnies or Honey ones
    Dried fruits (e.g Apricots)
    Jelly Babies (for that turbo boost, get you home effect).
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • rozzer32 wrote:
    #david2012 wrote:
    elderone.. Had exactly the same feeling out today, just desperate to get out so went for a quick blast after work. Thought I'd tackle a hill near home that I'd never managed without stopping before, but felt good so turned off towards it ... 90% of the way up it heart rate @ 186 just couldn't turn the pedals anymore... From that point on it was pedalling through treacle, I workout most days specifically on leg strength and today Made me feel like what's the point..I seem to be making no progress.

It's not about leg strength when riding a bike, it's about how much power you produce. I presume you are talking about weights at a gym for your leg strength? If I'm correct then drop those sessions in favour of riding your bike, you'll see progress then :D

Rozzer, yes I have a bench in the loft which I can do leg extensions on, I also do a few squats aiming at building up strength I guess.. Would spending extra time on the trainer help? I still use the trainer on alternate days at the moment as well if I can't get out on the bike.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    It'll come. If you did 36-odd today in unfavourable conditions, you'll knock it off easily the next fine day. Bad conditions gnaw at your mental state as much or more than anything else you'd have been encountering on the road. Take those imposts away and it's a new game.
  • Keep on truckin', as others have said winter riding is character building and you'll notice the positives come summer.
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    And think of it this way....failing your first 50 attempt is way better than failing to attempt your first 50 :-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,920
    #david2012 wrote:
    rozzer32 wrote:
    #david2012 wrote:

Rozzer, yes I have a bench in the loft which I can do leg extensions on, I also do a few squats aiming at building up strength I guess.. Would spending extra time on the trainer help? I still use the trainer on alternate days at the moment as well if I can't get out on the bike.

To us mere mortals using weights is pretty pointless as we are far better to spend the limited time we have actually on the bike. If you are a pro or have lots of training time then doing a weight session or two will probably help improve that last 1 or 2%. To be honest I'd either drop the weights all together or only do one weight session a week, the rest of the time you should spend on your bike. If you have a look in the "Training" section of the forum you'll find loads of threads on weights and they all come to the conclusion that you're better off spending the time on your bike.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • elderone
    smidsy wrote:
    And think of it this way....failing your first 50 attempt is way better than failing to attempt your first 50 :-)
    I like this... :D
    cheers for replies lads.ill have another crack it on a more favourable day.