IS-Post mount adapter sizing

bobcheese
bobcheese Posts: 343
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi Guys, need some advice. I have changed the frame on my hardtail (from GT Aggressor to Genesis Abyss) i have used the majority of the parts from the GT. When I have come to refit the rear calliper I have found that even though the frame requires IS - post mount adapter (same as GT) when I mount the calliper I have to put all the spacers on the underneath of the calliper to 'pack it out' so that it fits the disk. I haven't changed the rotor, its still 160mm but is it possible I need to buy a bigger adapter? Is confusing as the adapters are marketed for larger rotor sizes not different frames.

Any help appreciated

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Read the topic in the FAQs?

Re you using a front or a rear adaptor?

And what caliper?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bobcheese
    Hi NIck, read the FaQ but didnt get anything for my situation as the topic mainly refers to fork mounting but my issue is rear. Also the calliper & adapter were originally on the back so not covered by the section about moving from one to t'other.
    Avid Elixir r calliper.

Cheers
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For a 160mm disc you should only need one set of the CPS washers below the caliper on the right adaptor.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bobcheese
    Hi, using the rear 160mm adapter and 1 set of CPS washers isnt enough. If I use both sets below the calliper its about right but I dont want it like this (and im sure its not meant to be).
  • The Rookie
    Compare the IS mount to rear dropout location on the 2 frames....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bobcheese
    yeah that was my next move. However, then im thinking 'well, if its the case they are in different positions and then that means I do need a larger adapter the how can this be a standard and the adapters advertised based on rotor size when the whole thing is mount location dependant'?
  • nicklouse
    bobcheese wrote:
    Hi, using the rear 160mm adapter and 1 set of CPS washers isnt enough. If I use both sets below the calliper its about right but I dont want it like this (and im sure its not meant to be).
    Are you sure it is a rear? And it is mounted correctly?

Pictures.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • bobcheese
    it says 'rear' on it. Haven't tried swapping it round just yet but if it was the wrong way round my calliper wouldn't fit over the disk when the wheel is attached would it? Will sort pics tomorrow
  • nicklouse
    bobcheese wrote:
    it says 'rear' on it. Haven't tried swapping it round just yet but if it was the wrong way round my calliper wouldn't fit over the disk when the wheel is attached would it? Will sort pics tomorrow
    Yes it can. But the rotor size would seem to be wrong.
  • The Rookie
    It's not mounted facing rearwards instead of forwards is it? Photo required.......
  • bobcheese
    Hey guys, OK all sorted. So i turned round the adapter and hey presto fits perfectly. :oops:

However, in my defence I want to share the pic of how the adapter was installed then hopefully you will see im not a complete dunce:

8342773303_3fe969669e.jpg

As you can see. It would be easy to assume this was mounted the correct way.

Lesson learned
  • The Rookie
    A 'not a complete dunce' would spot the arrow perhaps?
  • bobcheese
    @ The beginner - this is what I am on about. This is a pic of the adapter BEFORE i swapped it around. That is what got me. I assumed the way in the pic was how it should be installed. Turns out not.
  • The Rookie
    I knew that is before it was corrected which is why the arrow is pointing THE WRONG WAY.....when facing the right way the arrow is the other side as you don't need to see it to tell you you got it wrong!
  • bobcheese
    OK.....the thing that got me with it then is the 'r' for rear and the arrow I saw this as 'fit so the arrow points to the rear'.
  • The Rookie
    Erm.....no, as with most arrows on bikes it points forwards.....
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,170
    adapter mounted upside down - arrow points upwards.
    there should be one pair of CPS each side of the adapter, not all on one side as fitted.

the CPS between the adapter and calliper are not necessary - I run my Elixirs without them to save a few grammes in weight.
  • The Rookie
    Erm, you need the washers or the caliper will foul the disc unless you use (as an example) you use a 185mm adaptor with a 180mm disc.

Also helps if you read the thread!