Changing frame - fairly simple?

jf22901
jf22901 Posts: 155
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Due to numerous problems, I want to change my 2006 Santa Cruz Chameleon frame. As the rest of the bike components are of good quality and in good condition, I would like to just put the components onto another frame (well, get a bike shop to do it for me :D ).

Are there any problems with this method? If I can find a frame I like that fits my current forks, seatpost and BB, should the changeover be relatively smooth? Or are there untold problems I just haven't thought of yet? :shock:

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Nope.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    you might need longer/shorter hydraulic brake hoses and or gear cables.

Front derailluer may need replaced.

Headset design may be different.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Chain might be too short or long, bottom bracke tonight need a different spacing, steer tube could potentially be too short.
  • bobcheese
    bobcheese Posts: 343
    Hey JF22901, im in the process of doing this at present (see sig). I would recommend giving this a go yourself if you feel you are up to it. I had only limited knowledge before starting this but have learned so much by doing it myself and 'generally' the cost of buying the tools to do the work are around the same costs as paying for the LBS to do it but you have them for future use. There are a couple of exceptions.
    Things I learned regards parts during the build:

Cable & hose routing is different on all frames so chances are that, even if new frame is the same size, you will need to change them.
    Unless you have a serviceable headset (hope, chris king etc) your better off just fitting a new one. Same with BB unless it is pretty new.
    Check mounting for rear calliper, you may need an adapter.
    Seat post size. As long as the new frame it larger than the old you can just get a shim
    Crank arm length, only a minor and unlikely but if the bb height is lower than the old frame you could find you catch the pedals on stuff you previously didn't.
    Stem length, again the top tube of new frame may be longer or shorter than the old one so a different length stem may be required.

If you are anything like me you will get carried away with the 'look' of the build so will find yourself browsing CRC etc for new parts anyway.

So, just make sure you have a few quid spare for parts and workshop labour if you go down this route.
  • jf22901
    Thanks all. I knew there would be things I was forgetting. The hoses, cables, chain etc. aren't much of a problem to fix, and the steerer tube is already quite long (got a fair few spacers in) so hopefully it shouldn't be an issue. It seems from your comments that there may be problems with the derailluer and headset though. Food for thought...
  • jf22901
    Hi bobcheese, thanks for the advice.

Building the new bike myself is something I would like to do, as so far my technical knowledge only involves making minor adjustments to things already on the bike, and I'd like to learn more. However, as I've never done such a thing before I'm afraid it would all go horribly wrong! Maybe I should just stop being a girl and give it a go... I don't know! :?
  • bobcheese
    bobcheese Posts: 343
    I had only basic knowledge too (still have really) but I have learned so much doing it myself, how to bleed brakes for instance, that I would never do it any other way. Had a few issues along the way (got one at min re rear calliper mounting) but all adds to the learning curve. Go on, you know you want too :)
  • BikingBob
    BikingBob Posts: 77
    edited January 2013
    If you do it yourself there is a wealth of information both here in the forums & elsewhere online.

Also probably the best buy if you diy it is park tools book for mtb maintenance....

Whichever you do, good luck and post pics of ur ride when its done :-)
    Scott Scale 50 (Custom Spec)
    Scott Genius LT 30
  • jf22901
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm looking into the On-One 456 frame which seems to meet my requirements, so I'll keep you all posted! :D
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    See link in my lowest sig for a reframe of a Spesh HT into a Scott FS, no real issues, would have needed seatpost/clamp (came with frame) front mech and headset (we had a spare SI anyway). In our case the cables/hoses are all long enough.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.