Northern Soul

jgsi
jgsi Posts: 5,062
edited January 2013 in The cake stop
Help...I am getting shouted down here for suggesting George McCrae WAS part of Northern Soul...
I'm right aint i??? or is my memory really suffering?
(Apologies to those far too young to remember all this)

Comments

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    depends on your definition of 'northern soul'. If you say it is up beat non Motown then George was Northern Soul by Mike Godwin's (he invented the term Northern soul) criteria. If you say northern soul is only music from detroit or chicago etc then george is from Miami.

It was a term made up in London to help classify styles of music to sell in a shop, so if the northern folk liked it it was put in northern soul section.

His music is available on compilation albums called 'Northern Soul'.

Hope this helps
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • wiffachip
    wiffachip Posts: 861
    if you've heard of them, it's not northern soul
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    George McRae, and in particular 'Rock Your Baby', marks the transition point from clubs to discotheques in the 1970's.
    Established Northern Soul DJ's were travelling between England and New York and starting to introduce more smooth and contempory sounds such as 'Philly Sound' and tracks from the 'MFSB' stable, this marked the advent of Disco culture in the U.K. and McRae was the first Disco No. 1
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Cheers guys... the OH has beaten 'me head' into submission about the surge of disco... I still miss those days
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,091
    JGSI wrote:
    Cheers guys... the OH has beaten 'me head' into submission about the surge of disco... I still miss those days

Lets have a disco revival right here on BR. Wahey

Burn baby burn
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Not heard too much George McCrae but what I have heard of his I wouldn't class as northern.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.