Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 2010 - gear / shifter issue

dt7
dt7 Posts: 13
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

Have recently had a problem with the gears on my Specialized Hardrock Sport 2010. When shifting with the left shifter to go up a ring, one click didn't change rings. I had to then shift another half shift to allow the chain to sync onto the selected ring. Plus it took an awful amount of effort in pushing the shifter, to change from the middle to large ring.

The shifters are the stock / original (scram with impulse technology) as are the front derailleur (Shimano Altus) and rear derailleur (scram-x4)

This morning i have searched for instructions or how to guides to try and solve this problem, as I know very little about the workings of gears, but enjoy fiddling. I found Doddy's guide at mbuk and followed this:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ng9kxbvamQ

After this, I had smoother running gears, but the original problem remained. I then took the bike out to gradually tighten the cable tension with the barrel adjuster on the left shifter.

The problem was improving, but I still couldn't change from the middle to top ring without problem. Then i must then have over tightened as Ifound it harder to use the shifter to change upto the top ring and my shifter seemed to give out.

I can still use the shifter fine to change between the smaller and middle ring both up and down, but shifter seems loose and slack and not able to change if trying to change upto top ring.

Can anyone help and assist in a way forward? Have I knackered the shifter? Is the best option now to take it to a local bikle shop, or is there something simple I should try?

Many thanks in advance

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    New cables, and index again from scratch. Use the Parktools guide - 'Read this first' in my sig.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    dt7 wrote:
    Hi

Have recently had a problem with the gears on my Specialized Hardrock Sport 2010. When shifting with the left shifter to go up a ring, one click didn't change rings. I had to then shift another half shift to allow the chain to sync onto the selected ring. Plus it took an awful amount of effort in pushing the shifter, to change from the middle to large ring.
    i had the same problem with mine, no matter what i tried with it, eventually changed to deore shifters and front mech, and works perfect every time now :wink:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • dt7
    dt7 Posts: 13
    Took it to a local bike shop today. Had gears checked out. All cabling fine, problem attributed to the shifter. Have since looked online and found a replacement sram x4 shifter in the ChainReaction sale for just over a tenner. Hopfully this will solve the problem until I raise enough funds to upgrade to a more decent set of shifters and derailleur. Hopefully back riding very soon. :)