New to Road Cycling - Advice Please

CyclingNewb
CyclingNewb Posts: 14
edited January 2013 in Road beginners
Hello all,

I am sure you are used to annoying people like me asking the same ole questions so thank you in advance for your advice.

I have wanted to start cycling for many years now and having just received confirmation that I will be moving out to Cyprus, I definitely want to buy a bike and join a cycling club.

I have looked at the Specialized 2012 and 2013 Allez and after a little research decided the 2012 is better value. 12 at £500 and 13 at £550.

http://www.freeborn.co.uk/specialized-2012-allez

Definitely will go red and white colour.

I've looked at it states it comes with standard pedals, should I buy different?

What else will I need, clothing, bike components?

Thank you, really appreciate any help and advice.

Chris

Comments

• Hi Chris, some basic road cyclewear (padded lycra shorts and jersey(s), gloves, helmet, etc) is a good idea; for saddle comfort more than anything else to begin with!

As for the pedals, it depends on what 'standard' pedals are. Clips and straps are every bit as viable as clipless (in fact each has its pros and cons over the other), but the ones you get free with bikes tend to be rubbish. If they have a strap (not all do) they should be basically functional, however. Clipless pedals are the standard for good reason, however, and represent a worthwhile investment.

Other than that to begin with, just get yourself a track pump and the means to replace a flat by the road (spare tube, pump, tyre levers, repair kit, etc), and a water bottle, and you should be fine. There are so many other things that will be useful to you that I'll let others add them. Enjoy. :)
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Good shorts are a must!
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Hi Chris, some basic road cyclewear (padded lycra shorts and jersey(s), gloves, helmet, etc) is a good idea; for saddle comfort more than anything else to begin with!

As for the pedals, it depends on what 'standard' pedals are. Clips and straps are every bit as viable as clipless (in fact each has its pros and cons over the other), but the ones you get free with bikes tend to be rubbish. If they have a strap (not all do) they should be basically functional, however. Clipless pedals are the standard for good reason, however, and represent a worthwhile investment.

Other than that to begin with, just get yourself a track pump and the means to replace a flat by the road (spare tube, pump, tyre levers, repair kit, etc), and a water bottle, and you should be fine. There are so many other things that will be useful to you that I'll let others add them. Enjoy. :)

Thank you, really useful information there.

I guess shorts are a must then :P

What do you guys think about the bike I posted, I've found another for the same price but I can get £50 worth of accessories with this one: http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDeta ... goryID=960
  • tetley10
    tetley10 Posts: 693
    +1 on the shorts.
  • Just bought the following:

Specialized Allez 2012 Road Bike
    Giro Havant Cycling Helmet
    Black Lake CX170 Shoes
    Padded Shorts
    Jersey
    Gloves

All I need now is a repair kit, can anyone recommend a kit bag I can attach to the above bike?
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Just bought the following:

Black Lake CX170 Shoes
    Padded Shorts
    Jersey
    Gloves

All I need now is a repair kit, can anyone recommend a kit bag I can attach to the above bike?
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-aero-wedge-buckle-medium-saddle-bag/
  • Gizmodo wrote:
    Just bought the following:

Black Lake CX170 Shoes
    Padded Shorts
    Jersey
    Gloves

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-aero-wedge-buckle-medium-saddle-bag/

Thank you, just purchased your recommendation. :o:)
  • Just been informed the Specialized Allez 2012 is out of stock. :cry:

Can anyone suggest a different one, they have suggested the Allez Sport 2013 for a slightly lower price?
  • Ricey83
    Ricey83 Posts: 103
    I have a Giant Defy 4 and can't fault it for a first road bike
  • I buckled under pressure, I had no idea what I was doing to be honest.

I've just bought the Specialized Allez Sport :oops:
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    It will be fine for your first bike and will eventally make a decent enough winter bike when you N+1 :-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Gurner
    Gurner Posts: 39
    The Allez has a great frame for the price, my winter bike is based on the 2010 A1 Allez frame. You'll enjoy it a lot - just get out and ride!
  • Thanks guys, only annoying thing is that it won't arrive until February. May as well keep it boxed up and ship it to Cyprus right away 8)
  • Having to wait for the bike has made me keep looking at other bikes and I have come across the Ridley Orion 1105B 105, was £1659, now £847. It's a carbon bike, comparing this to the Allez Sport 2013 at £652, as a first bike, if you would go back to buying your first bike again, what would you choose?
  • p1tse
    p1tse Posts: 694
    Having to wait for the bike has made me keep looking at other bikes and I have come across the Ridley Orion 1105B 105, was £1659, now £847. It's a carbon bike, comparing this to the Allez Sport 2013 at £652, as a first bike, if you would go back to buying your first bike again, what would you choose?

Go for best frame and groupset to your budget :)
    Wanted: Cube Streamer/Agree GTC Compact / Pro/ Race : 53cm
  • p1tse wrote:
    Having to wait for the bike has made me keep looking at other bikes and I have come across the Ridley Orion 1105B 105, was £1659, now £847. It's a carbon bike, comparing this to the Allez Sport 2013 at £652, as a first bike, if you would go back to buying your first bike again, what would you choose?

Go for best frame and groupset to your budget :)

I don't really have a budget if I'm honest. However I have purchased several other items and its certainly adding up.

The only thing holding me back is the fact I've never road a road bike before so I don't want to spend that much if it turns out I don't like it! However I will keep it for fitness if that makes sense.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    I don't really have a budget if I'm honest. However I have purchased several other items and its certainly adding up.

The only thing holding me back is the fact I've never road a road bike before so I don't want to spend that much if it turns out I don't like it! However I will keep it for fitness if that makes sense.
    Start low and build up. If you enjoy it you can always sell and buy the best thing you can afford. If you don't enjoy it then you haven't wasted too much money.

Best for £300 Triban 3 B'Twin

The most important thing is to go to a shop and sit on the bike to find the correct size for you. You need to consider both height and reach, you will want to be comfortable.