What keeps you going?

rodgers73
rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
edited January 2013 in Road general
When it gets a bit grim and hard work on the bike, what keeps you pedaling?

For me its the knowledge when its cold or wet and you stop you end up cooling down and feeling colder and crapper than if you just kept going. And when its hot I seem to enjoy getting the sweat flowing even more. But then, I'm probably a weirdo ;-)

Comments

• antooony
    antooony Posts: 177
    2 things. I picture my 16 month year old daughter in my mind and grit my teeth and pedal harder for her.

The other is my partners sister who sadly passed away 2 months ago in her sleep aged just 36. She was a truly amazing woman who loved life and her mountain biking. If I'm struggling I just think of her and how she loved being on a bike and I keep going in her memory.
  • joe.90
    joe.90 Posts: 171
    antooony wrote:
    2 things. I picture my 16 month year old daughter in my mind and grit my teeth and pedal harder for her.

The other is my partners sister who sadly passed away 2 months ago in her sleep aged just 36. She was a truly amazing woman who loved life and her mountain biking. If I'm struggling I just think of her and how she loved being on a bike and I keep going in her memory.

Wipes away tears* You know what...this is really nice^^

I do the same with my new born little boy, for my dad and brother who also passed away young

Nothing makes me train harder than things like this...turn your brain off, but when it does try to kick in. Think of things like this

Happy new year to everyone.
  • Mainly the thought that I don't want to go back to being a fat b%stard which will happen if I stop riding.

There that's brought the tone down a bit! Happy New Year!!
  • joe.90
    joe.90 Posts: 171
    Mainly the thought that I don't want to go back to being a fat b%stard which will happen if I stop riding.

There that's brought the tone down a bit! Happy New Year!!

:lol::lol::lol:
  • If I don't keep going I won't get home.
  • Its to late to turn back now

Its a lot less going forward than going back

Might as well make this a good one as god knows when her in doors will let me out again

Only kidding just love competing and when you see the numbers improving on Strava it makes it all worth while

Have a Happy New all :mrgreen:
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    recently diagnosed OCD!!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    The photo I have of when I was a fat whacker...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • nolight
    nolight Posts: 261
    The need for speed.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    The pure freedom I enjoy on the bicycle
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    In our house I'm the one at home looking after two young children, so when i get out on the bike i just want to keep going and going, coming back is the issue when you're coming back to a 1yr old and a 3yr old.
    Plus I only get three days when I can get out so you tend to make the most of it.
  • I think about where I was, where I am now and where I want to be.

I probably would think about how proud my teenage son was of me after I eaves dropped at his bedroom door one day.
    He was telling a mate about how his dad was super fit and cycled hundreds of miles. I was puffing my chest out for a moment until he followed it up with 'Yeah he wears all that stupid gay stuff' :D
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Spanish Beef :D
    Seriously, its my escape from the stresses of life , off out for a spin in a bit when brekkie has settled.
    FCN 3/5/9
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    The photo I have of when I was a fat whacker...

Seems a common thread here, perhaps we should start a 'before and after' photo thread? :oops:
  • djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
    slowsider wrote:
    If I don't keep going I won't get home.

+1
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    I have a few reasons why I get up and go out training in the wind and pouring rain (Like yesterday!) and keep going in it.

1. If I don't I won't achieve my goals for the 2013 season.

2. My wife suffers with MS and has had her health and fitness cruely taken from her. Seeing her struggle to walk when she's having a good day makes me realise how lucky I am to have my health and I aint going to let some rain stop me making the most of the time I've got on this mortal coil.

3. Riding in extremes of weather makes me feel 'alive' - and when I get back home I can feel like a Flandrien 'hardman' even for just a few minutes!
  • I used to be a very large lad, so my motivation is to never get back to anything near those weights again. A picture of the old me on the fridge keeps me in check.

That, and I long for the day I make my father in law scream in agony as he tries to catch me on our local steep road back in Austria. I've managed to keep with him now, just need that extra bit of speed to really make him scream. Oh well, hopefully by summer.
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    Seriously, its my escape from the stresses of life , off out for a spin in a bit when brekkie has settled.

+1.
  • Bozman wrote:
    In our house I'm the one at home looking after two young children, so when i get out on the bike i just want to keep going and going, coming back is the issue when you're coming back to a 1yr old and a 3yr old.
    Plus I only get three days when I can get out so you tend to make the most of it.

+1

I know the feeling my partner does four night shifts and i look after our girls. They are special but the time on the bike is well needed!!
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    The thought of a shower and a cushion.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    There are some hills where I ride that have nearly broken me. Then I have been so agitated until I could get back out and prove it to myself that they would not beat me. As soon as I do, I look for the next one. That is the challenge for me.
  • Yorkat
    Yorkat Posts: 5
    Happy New Year.

This morning it was the thought of all that food and drink consumed over the last 7 days, coupled with the effect that the further I rode in the cold and the wind, the further behind I left last night's hangover. :D
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    LegendLust wrote:
    I have a few reasons why I get up and go out training in the wind and pouring rain (Like yesterday!) and keep going in it.

2. My wife suffers with MS and has had her health and fitness cruely taken from her. Seeing her struggle to walk when she's having a good day makes me realise how lucky I am to have my health and I aint going to let some rain stop me making the most of the time I've got on this mortal coil.

3. Riding in extremes of weather makes me feel 'alive' - and when I get back home I can feel like a Flandrien 'hardman' even for just a few minutes!

Same here ! The wife has no official diagnosis but has suffered for 4 years now with Neurological issues.
    She walks on a good day but with crutches...otherwise its the wheelchair.
    Makes you realise how quickly life can change.
    Gets me off my arse and out in all weathers !!
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    KonaMike wrote:
    LegendLust wrote:

Same here ! The wife has no official diagnosis but has suffered for 4 years now with Neurological issues.
    She walks on a good day but with crutches...otherwise its the wheelchair.
    Makes you realise how quickly life can change.
    Gets me off my ars* and out in all weathers !!

Yep, that MS is a cruel bastard. My wife has struggled for over 15 years with it. And it can take ages to get a diagnosis, it took us a few years to find out what was causing her .problems
  • Strava.
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    I have no idea. Strava helps, but I come back from every ride exhausted (I always push myself too much).

As soon as I get off the bike at the end of a ride, however, I'm getting withdrawal symptoms and I want to get back on again :(

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • johnny25
    johnny25 Posts: 344
    The sheer unbridled joy and the freedom (albeit momentary) that cycling brings.
  • During the week if I don't keep going I will be late for work.

On my weekend rides it's beating a previous time and a chance to plan things, weirdly.
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Peat wrote:
    The thought of a shower and a cushion.

Piles?
  • Happy new year

The promise I made to myself that I will do the London to Paris later this year.

Wilier La Triestina
    Specialized Tarmac Comp
    Wilier La Triestina
    Specialized Tarmac Comp