Do not overtighten the controls on the handlebar!!

BikingBob
BikingBob Posts: 77
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Some of you may already know of this, but alas I didn't and had to learn the hard way............. :( :roll: :cry:

When assembling the various levers on your bars be careful not to put them on fully tight. doing this prevents them spinning when you have the inevitable crash & makes the damage much, much worse.

See below evidence....

20121221_114055.jpg

20121221_114024.jpg

20121221_114144.jpg

A few rides after i had a similar "over the bar" incident with the levers not so tightly done up and true to my lesson (from my bro) they just spun around !!!

GENIUS !!!
Scott Scale 50 (Custom Spec)
Scott Genius LT 30

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Don't fall off ;)
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    indeed - if the levers/controls do not clear the top tube, then as you say, keep the bolts tight enough but not too tight,

you may wish to fit aluminium alloy bolts - you will not be able to overtighten them and have some weight saving - I use them on my weight weenie bike and have not had any problems with levers/controls moving.
  • Don't fall off ;)
    Indeed that is another possibility :D
    02GF74 wrote:
    indeed - if the levers/controls do not clear the top tube, then as you say, keep the bolts tight enough but not too tight,
    you may wish to fit aluminium alloy bolts - you will not be able to overtighten them and have some weight saving - I use them on my weight weenie bike and have not had any problems with levers/controls moving.

I will look into that, thanks!!
    Scott Genius LT 30
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Yup, I learnt the hardway after a twisted the bars around my leg. The brake lever dug into my thigh and didn't budge. Whilst I got away with bruising, it was the worst frickin' bruise of my life - My entire thigh went black and yellow with weird black pencil scribble all over it. Scared the crap out of me for a while.
  • Yup, I learnt the hardway after a twisted the bars around my leg. The brake lever dug into my thigh and didn't budge. Whilst I got away with bruising, it was the worst frickin' bruise of my life - My entire thigh went black and yellow with weird black pencil scribble all over it. Scared the crap out of me for a while.

Yeah same here, although my thighs broke my bike somehow :(
    Scott Genius LT 30
  • there is such a thing as 'Bump tight' tight enough to not move, not So tight that in the event of crash they break!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Finally found a picture of it!

08112009364.jpg

You can see towards the top of my thigh where the brake lever dug in. It developed a little deeper than this for a few more days but I didn't get another photo.