Strava average cadence

gloomyandy
gloomyandy Posts: 520
edited January 2013 in Road general
Does anyone know how Strava (and Garmin) calculate average cadence values? Is the value averaged over the entire moving time, or only when you are pedalling? So for instance if I cycle up a hill that takes one minute and during that period I pedal 100 rotations and then freewheel down the other side again taking one minute will I end up with an average cadence of 100 or 50? I would have thought that 100 would be a more accurate and useful value, but no idea if that is what Strava will actually come up with. I guess I could just set up a test and try it...

Comments

• There is a setting on the Garmin that changes the way that the average is worked out.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Ah yes zero average and none zero average. Do you happen to know if Strava uses the average values from the Garmin or works things out from the raw data?
  • gloomyandy wrote:
    Ah yes zero average and none zero average. Do you happen to know if Strava uses the average values from the Garmin or works things out from the raw data?

The data matches with Strava and the Garmin software on my laptop so I assume it works on the Garmin settings.
    I will check next time I am out on the road bike :)
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    I have my Garmin set to non-zero average and the average in Garmin Connect is the same as Strava, so Strava either takes the value straight from the Garmin or it always uses non-zero average regardless of what the Garmin is set to.
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    lc1981 wrote:
    I have my Garmin set to non-zero average and the average in Garmin Connect is the same as Strava, so Strava either takes the value straight from the Garmin or it always uses non-zero average regardless of what the Garmin is set to.
    I mist be a bit thick - is "non zero average" - only taking the average when there is a number greater than zero? And "zero average" takes the average for everything? So if you don't peddle for a minutes descent then zero average will drop?
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • TheFD wrote:
    I mist be a bit thick - is "non zero average" - only taking the average when there is a number greater than zero? And "zero average" takes the average for everything? So if you don't peddle for a minutes descent then zero average will drop?

Yep I think that is how it works.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I pay no attention to cadence at all...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Can anyone tell me where the setting is? I have a 705
  • Not sure about a 705 but on a 500 it is in Settings>Bike settings>Data Rec