What's on your wish list for 2013?

Calpol
Calpol Posts: 1,039
edited January 2013 in Road buying advice
Hello folks

I spent an idle few moments creating a bit of a wishlist for 2013, with regard to to gear and upgrades I think I might need/want for the coming year. 2012 was pretty expensive all round when I added it all up but as it was my first serious year riding then I am hoping that 2013 might be a bit more thrifty. However some things will have to be done.

My main bike is a Wilier Izoard XP Veloce. Bought off the forum. I love it and whilst I do drool over colnago clx, Wilier Cento's realisticall the Izoard is more bike than my ability needs for now. I would quite like to improve it and presumably the biggest improvement would come from swapping the Fulcrum Racing 5s for something different. To that end I am looking at maybe some Wheelsmith Race 23 or something with a bit more bling.

2nd dilemma is shoes. I have been riding in my DHB MTB shoes + spd pedal. They have been ok but not the lightest or most comfortable and I think I might relegate them to MTB only duty. Question is whether to go Road shoes in which case I really fancy Speedplays for ease of entry/double sided aspect or stay with MTB shoes and get somethng like these
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=59507

2013 Bike Plan

Shoes 100
Pedals? 120
Chain 25
cassette 30
service 80
tyres 50
lubes 10
chain cleaner 20
tools 30
Wheels 400

Total 865

Thats going to be less than half of 2012 spend but still a fair amount for me. Kids can get an extra term or two out their school shoes!

Whats everyone else looking to do plus any advice you can offer me?

Comments

• I think i genuinely have everything i need (and some) now but i am going riding in the Med & in the Alps next year so i think i may invest in a Garmin Edge 800. I have the 200 for basic commute & training, but the maps & other gizmo's will be a real help on the 800. This will be it for me*.

* I wish this was true.
  • I'd quite like an Edge 800 or 900 (or whatever it will be called) too.

Other than that mostly consumables hopefully, although I'm considering a 12-30 cassette to replace my 12-28. It's a tenner off at Wiggle at the moment - so only 20 quid. Though then I'd need a chain whip and lockring remover....
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • YIMan
    YIMan Posts: 576
    I've already got a few events lined up - MTB skills end of April, MTB enduro event at Glentress in early June......and then the idea of Alpe D'Huez watching le Tour and riding it in July.

So my wish list is to build up enough fitness to be ready for the Alps in July, but also to justify a new summer road bike. If I don't get in decent shape I don't see the point in spending a couple of grand on a nice bike.
  • YIMan wrote:
    I've already got a few events lined up - MTB skills end of April, MTB enduro event at Glentress in early June......and then the idea of Alpe D'Huez watching le Tour and riding it in July.

So my wish list is to build up enough fitness to be ready for the Alps in July, but also to justify a new summer road bike. If I don't get in decent shape I don't see the point in spending a couple of grand on a nice bike.

Doesn't stop the rest of us mate!! Get involved :D
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    Wish list.... A new Garmin which does live Strava timings !
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • to stop spending endless ammounts on cycling stuff. Might buy a new frame though maybe be Venge, maybe somethign different
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    New bike build. Turning my back on carbon scene and going for a Van Nic Astreus. I just seem to break carbon frames through no fault of my own :oops: and Mrs B agrees its time for a more robust frame and the new components :P

Also new Assos bibs 3/4's - best for Scottish weather 3/4's of the year!
    Brian B.
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    Lose a stone and get an entry for the Otztal Radmarathon, finish it (this time) and then never think of it again.
    Keep my current bike as I seem to averaging 2 a year for the last few years !
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I wanna make a frame and go touring on it.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Get some riding abroad again....
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    a (tidy, not stupidly expensive) disc-braked carbon road frame - but it's still a wish...
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • My list (just the cycling one anyway) is some carbon wheels, either 38mm or 50mm and that's all, then start saving up for a new group set next year upgrade to the campag centur I run atm.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    No rain, very little wind
  • I see you have listed a service at £80 what are the tools for? Save the service money, learn how to service your own bike and spend the difference on shoes or the wheels or even put it towards an event.

For me ill be doing my first sportive, so if I enjoy that I'll want to another, carry on with the duathlons, I had my first season last year and loved it.

As for bike bits, I think I'm pretty much there so just upgrade bits when they break.
  • Go see the Tour of Flanders, start racing and maybe get a win under my belt.

I don't need huge amounts of kit and my bike is between the manufacturer and my front door. Just some shoes and pedals will do trick.

Oh I need a torque wrench.
  • ShutUpLegs wrote:

I'll have some of that.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864

Can I add some sunshine to that please? Got all the kit I need now, feels strange to have cured both n+1 and upgrade fever!
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Smirf
    Smirf Posts: 123
    a new groupset so I can have my winter bike built up as well as my summer bike.

but agree with above. Sun, no rain or wind! especially on the 30th March for Flanders!
    Parlee Altum - "summer"
    Felt VR5 - "winter"
    Trek Triton Singlespeed - "commuter"
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    A new steel frame (possibly by Shand) to go with the new Excellights that Ugo built for me. The Preffisio that they currently adorn doesn't seem to do them justice.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Just a power meter for me, I'm just not sure which one.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,832
    Some new wheels, a new bike and a powermeter.

All once I've got a job after I've graduated. Well you got to celebrate the end of your education haven't you ;)
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****