Edge 500 installation

StaffordCubist
StaffordCubist Posts: 3
edited January 2013 in Road beginners
Hello and a Happy New Year to all!

Last Summer(?) I swung my leg over a road bike for the first time in my 43 years and am slowly getting used to the riding position and gear change etc. To help me make significant strides in fitness and ability in 2013 a shiny new Garmin Edge 500 dropped through the door this morning. There was only one magnet included with the unit, which I assume is to be attached to the crank arm for the cadence measurement. With the GPS taking care of speed measurement on the move, I was thinking of getting hold of a spoke magnet to measure speed when I am on my turbo trainer.

So my question is, if I have a spoke magnet fitted, will this clash with the GPS on the move? What takes priority when measuring speed?

Thanks!

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    edited December 2012
    When you have a spaoke magent for the speed the measurement will be more accurate and reliable, not relying on a satelite signal. When you fit the spoke magnet do a scan again for the speed/cadence sensor and the 500 will sort itself out.
    For the cadence buy a rare earth magnet and fit it to the pedal shaft on the inside of the crank.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    Yes, you should have two magnets: one for the crank, which is encased in plastic, and a spoke magnet. Mine came stuck together in the box, so it took a while to realise that they were two separate things. The speed reading from the wheel overrides the GPS speed, as far as I know, because over short distances GPS isn't that accurate. I've noticed that without the speed sensor, the unit will say that is moving at 1 or 2 km/h when I'm stood still, whereas with the speed sensor attached, it properly recognises that I'm stopped.
  • lc1981 wrote:
    Yes, you should have two magnets: one for the crank, which is encased in plastic, and a spoke magnet. Mine came stuck together in the box, so it took a while to realise that they were two separate things. The speed reading from the wheel overrides the GPS speed, as far as I know, because over short distances GPS isn't that accurate. I've noticed that without the speed sensor, the unit will say that is moving at 1 or 2 km/h when I'm stood still, whereas with the speed sensor attached, it properly recognises that I'm stopped.

^^^ What he said
  • Many thanks all, it has all become crystal clear now. I thought that the magnet supplied was all one piece, but as magnets generally do (duh!), the pieces had stuck together!

I promise more intellectual value from my next post or question!

:D
  • dashik
    dashik Posts: 156
    I'd also be inclined to fold the speed sensor arm down to be more flush with the stay so that if the spoke magnet hits it it's pushed away rather than caught and takes the arm off.....
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Many thanks all, it has all become crystal clear now. I thought that the magnet supplied was all one piece, but as magnets generally do (duh!), the pieces had stuck together!

Hilarious!

I just got a 500 too and I have to admit I did think there was only one magnet in the pack for a moment.
  • PeteMadoc wrote:
    Many thanks all, it has all become crystal clear now. I thought that the magnet supplied was all one piece, but as magnets generally do (duh!), the pieces had stuck together!

Hilarious!

I just got a 500 too and I have to admit I did think there was only one magnet in the pack for a moment.

+1
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    I'm glad to hear that I wasn't alone in making that particular mistake.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    I just got an Edge 500 as well after having an Edge 200 for the last year and the older Edge 205 bfore that. The 500 is the only one that measures cadence and has a wheel magnet, so I've got it set up on my hybrid on the turbo which is great as I can now measure cadence, speed and distance to keep myself motivated on the turbo. For outdoor riding I've always found th GPS on the 200 and 205 before to be very accurate for measuring speed and distance, and I expect the 500 to be as good.

I'll probably buy another cadence sensor with wheel magnet for my main road bike, but presumably if I have the GPS switched on, as I will outdoors, the satellite measurement of speed and distance will be recorded rather than the wheel measurement?
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    I just got an Edge 500 as well after having an Edge 200 for the last year and the older Edge 205 bfore that. The 500 is the only one that measures cadence and has a wheel magnet, so I've got it set up on my hybrid on the turbo which is great as I can now measure cadence, speed and distance to keep myself motivated on the turbo. For outdoor riding I've always found th GPS on the 200 and 205 before to be very accurate for measuring speed and distance, and I expect the 500 to be as good.

I'll probably buy another cadence sensor with wheel magnet for my main road bike, but presumably if I have the GPS switched on, as I will outdoors, the satellite measurement of speed and distance will be recorded rather than the wheel measurement?
    No, wheel measurement is far more accurate than GPS and if a Garmin unit finds a wheel sensor, that will be used for speed and distance. GPS is only used for speed and distance when no wheel sensor is found.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,592
    edited January 2013
    Just fitted a GSC10 that I have had for ages as wish to embark on a proper training plan this year.

All seems to be fine, and have found this guide that basically says if you do not want the device to use the wheel sensor as opposed to gps, simply remove the magnet!

http://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={e7cf9180-f921-11dd-515b-000000000000}

Here's a question for you - I have bought a second sensor, as I wanted to fit one to my commuter and one to my roadbike - does anyone know if I will need to rescan for devices each time I swap from one to the other?
    This is to work with a Forerunner 305 by the way - much as I would like a 500.

Cheers

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Not sure about the forerunner, but on the 500 you can set up profiles for different bikes on the main unit. So you just need to select which bike you're using.
  • Another Garmin 500 installation question....

Just been setting mine up for the first time and have plonked the bike on the turbo. I've switched the GPS off and it's picking up the speed and cadence from the magnet, but not showing any distance.

Anyone have any ideas what the problem could be ?
  • Another Garmin 500 installation question....

Just been setting mine up for the first time and have plonked the bike on the turbo. I've switched the GPS off and it's picking up the speed and cadence from the magnet, but not showing any distance.

Just start the timer ... I did the same :D
  • #david2012 wrote:
    Another Garmin 500 installation question....

Just start the timer ... I did the same :D

Just the ticket ! Pretty straightforward solution :oops:

Cheers for that.
  • iPip
    iPip Posts: 90
    I would also recommend fitting your GSC10 hanging down from the chain stay not on top, if you haven't fitted it already. It never crossed my mind to fit it this way until the LBS fitted my second one to a new bike I bought.

Apart from it looking a bit tidier, I think there is less chance of it falling into your wheel if/when the tie-wraps loosen over time. This was a lesson I also learnt on my commuter, which I had fitted on top of the chain stay!
    Regards
    Pip

Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Hybrid Comp
    Voodoo Bantu