Road cycling base in Andalucia

Adrian Waine
Adrian Waine Posts: 284
edited January 2013 in Tour & expedition
Last (and first in Spain) time we stayed in Olvera and Ronda and had a great holiday. This time the Boss wants a location closer to Malaga (why?), but not coastal. Can anyone recommend a good area for road cycling? Looking at my map (1:200,000) most other areas have a significant proportion of "unsurfaced" roads. I don't want to do any more of those as I got caught out last time by 4 miles of track (thank you Garmin!). Any local knowledge gratefully received.
Adrian W.

Comments

• FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Last (and first in Spain) time we stayed in Olvera and Ronda and had a great holiday. This time the Boss wants a location closer to Malaga (why?), but not coastal. Can anyone recommend a good area for road cycling? Looking at my map (1:200,000) most other areas have a significant proportion of "unsurfaced" roads. I don't want to do any more of those as I got caught out last time by 4 miles of track (thank you Garmin!). Any local knowledge gratefully received.

Ronda is already not that far from Malaga, but if with 'not coastal' you mean avoiding the built-up coastal resorts and busy coastal roads of the Costa del Sol, why not Malaga itself? I've done part of a week's cycling from there and there's some good routes (The Puerto de Leon, road North to Antequera over to Torcal, and West to the Garganta del Chorro). Malaga itself we found a surprisingly pleasant city with a great historic centre, museums, etc., and not that much tourism, considering its location.
  • We had a look at Malaga and were impressed by it, also lots of cyclists, so it must be good.
    I was after more rural and like the look of the El Chorro area and lakes. It is also away from the motorways that spoil the area to the east. Due to a forgotten wedding (by No.2 son - bless him) we will have to make an extra return trip to Malaga to deliver him to the airport earlier than planned so proximity is more of a consideration.
    Thanks for your advice.
    Adrian W.
  • cw42
    cw42 Posts: 205
    My mother and step dad live in Sierra de Yeguas, just north of Antequira, which is the the hilly region above malaga. I've been there a few times and taken my mtb and road bike. Road cycling in the area is very good. I plotted quite a few simple flatish routes around Sierra and also a long day in the saddle heading out to the lakes area and coming back through Antequira, which was a lovely day in the saddle.
    I've found my old forum post here: viewtopic.php?f=40003&t=12664217&p=15765942&hilit=spain#p15765942
    Cracking area to ride in. In the next village down from Sierra, HUMILLADERO there's a good bike shop and also a club, although I never needed to use either.
    live long, eat biscuit
  • Thanks for your info (and ride diary!) cw42.
    I don't think we'll get accommodation that far north this time, due to reasons on previous post, but I will certainly bear your info in mind for next time. Did you think the gutters at the side of the roads took a bit of getting used to, I found they certainly held my attention for the first few days..
    Happy cycling.
    Adrian W.
  • cw42
    cw42 Posts: 205
    The gutters certainly focus the mind, especially at the end of a ride. Have a good time wherever you end up
    live long, eat biscuit