Suggestions for cycling from Nice

Steve_T
Steve_T Posts: 29
edited January 2013 in Tour & expedition
Hi.

Can anybody suggest a good road cycling holiday strating from Nice? I am looking at arriving by plane and spending 5 days in France. I want to do day rides with a road bike from a fixed base (e.g. hotel or chalet). I am toying with the idea of hiring a car and driving up to the Gap area as I would like to ride some of the alpine climbs. Would appreciate any suggestions from somebody with first hand experience of the area.

Thanks,

S.

Comments

• carl69
    carl69 Posts: 31
    Some beautiful rides around this area. The coast road down to agay is spectacular undulating and flies by.I also drove up to Bedoin and rode up Mont Ventoux about a 3 hour drive and more than worth the effort.Lots of the pros live in the area due to the weather and riding possibilities.I hired a bike from a shop opposite decathlon in Frejus and they gave me a list of rides that I started to work through not one bad ride amongst them. I, m sure a bike shop near where you, 're staying will do something similar. You, 'll be spoilt for choice. Enjoy the smooth roads and the considerate drivers. A different world to cycling in the UK.
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    I second the Ventoux idea, you MUST do it! And i also couldnt agree more that the cycling is in a different universe to what we have here
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    I'd be tempted to get on a ferry to Corsica, beautiful island to visit, some great climbing as well.
  • daviegb
    daviegb Posts: 126
    A great base is Barcelonnette - I stayed there last May. It's about a 3 hour drive from Nice & has amazing routes right on your doorstep. Check out the following website for possible routes;

http://www.cycling-challenge.com/barcel ... -paradise/

Day One we climbed Allos & Cayolle
    Day Two we climbed Pra Loup as a warm up, the rode over to Jausiers & climbed Col de Bonette (summit is over 9,000 feet above sea level)!
    Day Three we drove to Begoin (about a 4.5 hour drive each way, but well worth it) & rode up Mont Ventoux.
    Day Four we rode Col de Larche (the website says it's closed to cyclists, but it's open & a nice climb up to the French/Italian border) then down the other side to Vinadio....about 30km descent, but all of it at about 4-6% so enjoyable downhill & climbing back up on the way back to Barcelonnette.
    Day Five we rode Col de Vars (only about 10km, but bits at 9 & 10%, so a bit of a challenge), then follow the road towards the town of Vars - awesome views along the way, before turning round & retracing your steps to Barcelonnette.

If you're interested, I can send you details of the accommodation we used.

Wherever you decide to go, have a great trip!

Gavin
  • prb007
    prb007 Posts: 703
    We are planning E2E France next May; sailing over to Cherbourg, then flying back from Nice, 10 days later.
    Doing this; http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course. ... rse=488404
    as our last day from Moustiers st.Marie on the East side of Mt.Ventoux (which
    we are coming over the day before), it takes in the Verdon Gorge which is something
    I/we have been looking forward to, immensely; a bit lumpy for the first half of the day, then essentially down hill
    to the Med at Nice :D
    If Wales was flattened out, it'd be bigger than England!
    Planet X Ti Sportive for Sportives & tours
    Orange Alpine 160 for Afan,Alps & dodging trees
    Singlespeed Planet X Kaffenback for dodging potholes
    An On-One Inbred for hard-tail shenanigans...