Rodi Airline Evo Clinchers

Samvan77
Samvan77 Posts: 85
edited January 2013 in Road beginners
Hi Everyone,

I am thinking of buying these wheels for my Giant Defy 2 Bike (the black and red ones as the match the bike's color scheme). The price looks reasonable and Ribble I assume are a reputable vendor, however I am concerned about the brand Rodi being an unknown quantity(for me). I can not find any reviews about them anywhere.

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience about these? Would you recommend them?

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... odiwhfr220

Thanks

Comments

• Thats a tough one, Not knowing the brand or having any reviews.

id suggest either stick it out and get a well know 2nd hand set. Or take the plunge and try them out.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    try asking in the road buying advice section as a newbie also i find you get better replies for wheels and things.
    look nice wheels though.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • There is nothing, absolutely nothing remarkable about these... Save your money
    left the forum March 2023
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    They are wheels made for a price, not performance - weighing over 2kg a pair, they will feel heavy and sluggish and you'll soon realise you should have saved your money and got something a lot lighter. Aim for a weight under 1600g pair for noticeable improvement, as well as some decent tyres.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Monty Dog wrote:
    They are wheels made for a price, not performance - weighing over 2kg a pair, they will feel heavy and sluggish and you'll soon realise you should have saved your money and got something a lot lighter. Aim for a weight under 1600g pair for noticeable improvement, as well as some decent tyres.
    So what kind of price would the wheels you recomend be and any examples.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • Monty Dog wrote:

Hmmm good thing I posted this thread, thanks for the good advice guys. I reckon I will up my budget a bit
  • gpreeves
    gpreeves Posts: 454
    Campag Khamsins are about that price, and come in red/black or black/white. BikeRadar's official review gave them 4.5 stars. I'm in a similar position of looking for some new wheels, was initially prepared to spend a fair bit more but can't fault a solid wheelset for £100. I figured that since I won't be racing on them that I can put up with an extra 300g and save the money. They do come with a Shimano/SRAM freehub too if that's what you need.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    About £250 is what you need to spend to get into better wheels territory - it's not to say that Mavic Aksiums, Fulcrum 7s and their ilk are bad - fine for training and winter use, but don't expect them to feel zippy and responsive.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • I've got these wheels on a winter trainer I bought from Ribble. They are the basic option offered with the bike build. I've done about 800 miles on them and frankly I wish I'd splashed out on more expensive wheels when I ordered the bike. The back wheel seems to have a serious out of balance problem. Just lately some rather nasty noises have started up from both front and back bearings, this may be helped by maintenance but meanwhile I have decided to order a pair of Mavic Ksyrium Elites. The Rodi Airline wheels are deep section which probably adds weight and causes problems in a cross wind, so I won't be going for deep section wheels again.
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    These are pretty decent for the money:
    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... Googlebase
  • I have these on my Ribble and i echo the thoughts, the amount of flex from them when standing up is pretty shocking - fine for set that came with the bike but i wouldnt want to buy them as an 'upgrade'