It happened today!!

Burt25
Burt25 Posts: 117
edited January 2013 in Road beginners
Well having been out about 6 times in my clipless shoes and feeling all happy with myself that I was incident free, I was coming to the end of a 20 mile ride today about to turn right when a car came up to the junction, so I thought I would stop at the side of the road and let him past- that's when I forgot I was clipped in and over I went! The two people in the car were staring at me probably thinking I'd just has a heart attack- anyway I dusted myself off signalled that I was alright and then preceded to check my bike for damage thankfully there was none as my pedal had stopped the frame making contact with the ground. While I suffered no injury, my pride was badly hurt and I felt like a right tool!! :oops:

How do I stop this happening again??- was thinking of taping a note to the bars saying "REMEMBER YOU'RE CLIPPED IN!"

Comments

• I've been on my first 5-6 rides with clipless shoes... I feel quietly confident but no doubt my turn to fall off is right around the corner.
  • It happens to the best of us lol.

My clipless off came when I pulled up at traffic lights next to what I thought was my mate in a whit flatbed van. Upon pulling up along side the passenger window and looking in to see it wasn't my mate I forgot I was clipped in and fell onto the pavement in slow motion. Quickly got up and the van driver was looking at me like I was a right tool, this time the motorist was right lol.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    You have reached the most dangerous time - new to clipless you are constantly vigilant, then you get complacent (that's when you fall off) finally comes the "normal" phase where it is 2nd nature to you. Rest assured, it is highly unlikely you'll fall off again.
  • Stabilisers!!!
  • Burt25
    Gizmodo wrote:
    You have reached the most dangerous time - new to clipless you are constantly vigilant, then you get complacent (that's when you fall off) finally comes the "normal" phase where it is 2nd nature to you. Rest assured, it is highly unlikely you'll fall off again.

Hopefully it doesn't happen again- thankfully I got away without damaging my steed as I would have been gutted if I had scraped my frame. When I come up to a junction my brain plans in advance to unclip, today however, I was preparing to turn when a car pulled up so my brain didn't do it's normal preparation ans I was caught out. Think I will stick a piece of yellow insulting tape on the bars and tell myself that's a reminder to unclip, hopefully will keep me thinking about it!?
  • Burt25
    Lycra-Byka wrote:
    Stabilisers!!!

You might be on to something there- how about an accelerometer built into the frame- when it senses the fall it deploys a giant air bag!, :D
  • I really wish I'd not read this! I get my first bike today and I've took the plunge and gone clipless! I think I'll be spending quite a lot of time "looking like a tool" lol :)
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Like others have said it happens to everyone till you get used to it , with a bit of practise you can track stand long enough to get you foot out .
    FCN 3/5/9
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Yup... I remember those moments fondly! There does come a point when it becomes hard wired into your brain. Rather like depressing the clutch when you change gear. But until then, these little whoops moments will happen...
  • I'm about two months into clipless now. If I'm slowing down under control, I can unclip no problem. But if I have to stop suddenly, or something distracts me, I still tend to revert to 30 year old ingrained habits and just pull, rather than twist and pull.

If I hadn't cunningly set up my pedals with pretty much the bare minimum tension, I'd have fallen off several times by now. Fortunately, a good yank does unclip!
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • inkz
    inkz Posts: 123
    I've only done it once, and lucly that was on my drive when I was practising when I first got them.

It's so 2nd nature now that even when I get caught unaware my foot automatically unclips itself even in a panic.
  • Just bin the clips altogether! Ride flats like me!! :D
  • Bustacapp wrote:
    Just bin the clips altogether! Ride flats like me!! :D
    Nooooo!

I'd never go back to flats now for 'proper' rides. I use the flats in trainers and jeans if, for instance, I'm just going to the LBS a mile or so away, but last time in the wet my feet were slipping off, it was a RRPITFA. The security of being clipped in is just a revelation.
  • Bustacapp wrote:
    Nooooo!

I'd never go back to flats now for 'proper' rides. I use the flats in trainers and jeans if, for instance, I'm just going to the LBS a mile or so away, but last time in the wet my feet were slipping off, it was a RRPITFA. The security of being clipped in is just a revelation.

My feet never slip off!! Even on ass-busting climbs!!!

I've never used clipless so will never know what I'm missing. However I did use toeclips for a while and hated every aspect of them!! I love being able to put my foot down in a nanoseconds thought!!
  • Bustacapp wrote:
    Funnily enough, neither did mine before I started with clipless. I wonder if it's a proprioception thing that goes if you don't use it.
    I've never used clipless so will never know what I'm missing. However I did use toeclips for a while and hated every aspect of them!! I love being able to put my foot down in a nanoseconds thought!!
    I used toeclips on a hybrid for a few weeks before getting my Defy, hated them too. Clipless IME is far nicer.
  • I used toeclips on a hybrid for a few weeks before getting my Defy, hated them too. Clipless IME is far nicer.
    I do have the option to try clipless as the other side of my flat has an spd clip.

However I figure 'if it ain't broke..'.
  • Bustacapp wrote:
    Nooooo!

+1 using clipless pedals also give u a better work out as u pull the pedals up as well works a different muscle in your leg that wont be used with flats
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    the first time i rode clip less i fell off about 6 times lol only happened once since and that was cos the cleeps had come loose and couldnt unclip! the first fall i had was at traffic lights needless to say i pretended there was a bike malfunction in front of everybody! i am getting a new bike in next 2 weeks so new pedals to break in! lol
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • Bustacapp wrote:
    Bustacapp wrote:
    Nooooo!

have you considered stabilisers?
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • andyeb
    andyeb Posts: 407
    It quickly becomes second nature to remember to unclip when you are coming to a planned stop. I still get caught out from time to time when some clot decides to do something stupid in front of me though :-/.
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    My turn today, right outside my garden gate :lol:

Scuffed a pedal and a brake lever, but no damage. At least it was dark, so maybe nobody saw me.....
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    My first clipped-in fall came after a mere 10 years practice :shock: