Daft question

tetley10
tetley10 Posts: 693
edited January 2013 in Road beginners
Apologies for this but

If you buy a drinks cage do you generally get the screws to attach the cage to your bike or do you get them separately? If you get them separately is there a generic sized screw that fits all bikes?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• MattyyP
    MattyyP Posts: 142
    They will come with the cage, valid question to ask if you don't know the answer! lol
    Specialized Secteur Sport 2011
    B'Twin Rockrider 8 XC
    B'Twin Rockrider 9.1
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Not daft, I stupidly thought you would and ordered my Blackburn Carbon one - it arrived NO BOLTS.

Charming.

And yes they will be a standard size.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • MattyyP
    You serious? I've never had that issue... lol! I guess it depends where you buy from then...
    B'Twin Rockrider 8 XC
    B'Twin Rockrider 9.1
  • smidsy
    Indeed, particularly gauling as it cost £32. I blame Wiggle, but I bought it from Winstanleys :-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    This might also be a stupid question as I can't remember the answer for sure, but don't the bolts come with the bike frame? Surely frames don't have gaping holes in them when they're sold.
  • MattyyP
    lc1981 wrote:
    This might also be a stupid question as I can't remember the answer for sure, but don't the bolts come with the bike frame? Surely frames don't have gaping holes in them when they're sold.

Of course... Lol! Never thought about it like that...
    B'Twin Rockrider 8 XC
    B'Twin Rockrider 9.1
  • smidsy
    Frames generally do come with gaping holes (if you can describe bottle cage holes as such).

Well my frame did anyway - although there seems to be a theme here - that was from Winstanleys too (no wonder they do such good prices).
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • 16mm
    16mm Posts: 545
    m5 bolts usually I think. Maybe patronise your LBS. They'll be glad of the pound :roll:
  • :) .
  • tetley10
    Thanks everyone. This site is quality. You ask a sh!t question like that and you still get good advice. So get a cage, get some screws and stop being thirsty basically. Carrying it in my rucsac at the minute and means I have to stop for a drink.
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    I've been surprised at the amount people pay for bidon cages. I bought a carbon one on eBay for £13 that weighs 20g, holds the bidon firmly but doesn't hold on too tight when I need to take it out.

Also it came with bolts.
  • damov2
    damov2 Posts: 66
    My bike came with cage screws but I don't think my cages did! I bought mine from halfords.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Never had a cage come with bolts. They're part of the frame - do people accept bikes with holes in ?
  • richsieb
    richsieb Posts: 137
    cougie wrote:
    Never had a cage come with bolts. They're part of the frame - do people accept bikes with holes in ?
    +1
  • tetley10
    richsieb wrote:
    cougie wrote:
    +1

My bikes got the holes for the cage but didn't come with bolts.
  • My bike had the holes and the bolts.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    Having had a look over my bike, I was reminded that the bike itself came with the bolts. I'm sorry to hear that not everyone was so lucky!
    Tetley10 wrote:
    Thanks everyone. This site is quality. You ask a sh!t question like that and you still get good advice. So get a cage, get some screws and stop being thirsty basically. Carrying it in my rucsac at the minute and means I have to stop for a drink.

Hang on. A rucksack on a road bike? What's all this about?
  • tetley10
    lc1981 wrote:
    Having had a look over my bike, I was reminded that the bike itself came with the bolts. I'm sorry to hear that not everyone was so lucky!
    Tetley10 wrote:

Hang on. A rucksack on a road bike? What's all this about?

It's a damn fine looking rucksack, looks the business.
  • lotus49
    If you don't have a bidon cage, the place to put your bidon is in your jersey not a rucsac.

Here is a picture of Cav demonstrating the correct technique http://centerlinerule.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... ndish.html.
  • tetley10
    lotus49 wrote:
    If you don't have a bidon cage, the place to put your bidon is in your jersey not a rucsac.

Here is a picture of Cav demonstrating the correct technique http://centerlinerule.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... ndish.html.

Bottle cage all fixed on. Nice to be able to swig some water on the way round, gets all the sh/t and dust out the mouth after I've been gurning on a climb.
  • lotus49
    Tetley10 wrote:
    ... dust ...

I don't think I've seen any dust since the year before last. The weather must be a lot better in London than Yorkshire at the moment. I have a drink to rinse the mud out :wink: .