Garmin Edge software?

h34e0f
h34e0f Posts: 370
edited December 2012 in Road general
I'm trying to find a way of viewing the contents of my Edge 200 on the computer. What I want to do it review and edit my courses (mostly the names as they could do with some tidying up) however when done through windows explorer (My Computer > Garmin) changes made to the file name have no effect on the file on the device. Anyone know of a way to do this?

Comments

• lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    Can't you just do this on Garmin Connect?
  • h34e0f
    lc1981 wrote:
    Can't you just do this on Garmin Connect?

I couldn't find how? Do you mean via the website? All I can seem to do is upload, but not view/edit existing files on the device. Am I being blonde?
  • lc1981
    Yep, the website. Click on the "Analyse" drop-down menus and then "Activities" for previous rides, or "Plan" and then "Courses" for, well, courses.
  • h34e0f
    lc1981 wrote:
    Yep, the website. Click on the "Analyse" drop-down menus and then "Activities" for previous rides, or "Plan" and then "Courses" for, well, courses.

That only works for courses you have made using that tool. I use other tools and so nothing shows up there, thanks though.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    lc1981 wrote:

Except that you can't edit existing courses, as the OP originally asked.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • lc1981
    MattC59 wrote:
    lc1981 wrote:

Except that you can't edit existing courses, as the OP originally asked.

Yes you can edit them, although apparently not if they've not been created on Garmin Connect.

Good luck finding a way.
  • big_p
    big_p Posts: 565
    open a ride you have done, like this.......http://connect.garmin.com/activity/254216732

in the bar above the map, there is a pencil icon, click that and it lets you do a partial or full edit.
  • lc1981
    big p wrote:
    open a ride you have done, like this.......http://connect.garmin.com/activity/254216732

in the bar above the map, there is a pencil icon, click that and it lets you do a partial or full edit.

The OP wants to edit a course though, not an activity.
  • h34e0f
    Looks as though I may have to manually make all my routes again in the Garmin tool, seeing as Connect doesn't allow for the upload of gpx/tcx files, which is stupid, meaning I can't take routes from Strava/Map My Ride etc.
  • big p wrote:

Every day is a school day :)
    Thanks for posting that big p.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • damov2
    damov2 Posts: 66
    As far as I know you can only edit modify the course via editing the .gpx or .tcx exported file!
  • h34e0f
    damov2 wrote:
    As far as I know you can only edit modify the course via editing the .gpx or .tcx exported file!

Yes but I'm asking how you do this.
  • MattC59
    The pencil icon allows you to edit details, not the course.
    Saving an activity as a course allows you to add to the activity route, reverse it or change it to an 'out and back' course, but you can't edit any part of the original course created from an activity.
  • h34e0f
    MattC59 wrote:
    Saving an activity as a course allows you to add to the activity route, reverse it or change it to an 'out and back' course, but you can't edit any part of the original course created from an activity.

I create my courses on bikeroutetoaster.com as I prefer the interface, and it allows for the importation of gpx/tcx files and direct upload to the Garmin. Until today I had never looked at the Connect course creation tool.
  • h34e0f
    Oh jesus, I just answered my own question. I can edit them on bikeroutetoaster.com (as it saves them all in my account) and re-upload them onto the Garmin. I really am dim sometimes!

Thanks for the help guys!
  • lc1981
    MattC59 wrote:

I'm not sure if you can do this with a course created from an activity, as I've only ever created a course from scratch, but it's possible to edit the course by clicking and dragging on points on the course.
  • MattC59
    h34e0f wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:

I create my courses on bikeroutetoaster.com as I prefer the interface, and it allows for the importation of gpx/tcx files and direct upload to the Garmin. Until today I had never looked at the Connect course creation tool.

I only use the Garmin routing tool, it works fine ie. allows me to plot a line on the map, what more is needed from a route plotter ? The reason you can't edit a route uploaded from your Garmin, is that it doesn't give you access to every data point, therefore it has no sections to undo to enable you to edit sections.
  • lc1981
    h34e0f wrote:
    Oh jesus, I just answered my own question. I can edit them on bikeroutetoaster.com (as it saves them all in my account) and re-upload them onto the Garmin. I really am dim sometimes!

Thanks for the help guys!

Pleased to hear you figured it out. Often explaining a problem to others makes you realise that you know the solution!