You prefer Modern or Vintage cycling jerseys ?

Comments

• jane90
    jane90 Posts: 149
    Raffles wrote:
    ...I can say without a moments hesitation that the modern jerseys do absolutely nothing for me whatsoever as I find them soulless and passionless. On the contrary I adore vintage jerseys, the bianchi jersey just takes my breath away when I just look at it. When I look at the vintage jerseys I see riders in peaked caps making their way up Cols and I can literally sense the essence of cycling...
    I completely understand appreciating the retro aesthetic of vintage jerseys in a Mad Men kind of way but being new to cycling I'm not quite sure what you mean about how the past represents the "essence" of cycling in a way that cycling now doesn't. I'd be genuinely interested to know.
  • I'd fall into wear what you want but apply common sense, at 25 if I went out vintage then it wouldn't look natural.

I wear team jerseys but would draw the line at matching shorts. If you are going to go for matching kit head to toe then you need to be built like a pro and under 40 or called Shane Sutton.
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Raffles wrote:
    rodgers73 wrote:
    rodgers73 wrote:
    I ride a modern bike so I reckon a vintage jersey would look a bit out of place really.

Quite right, but it's never too late. The vintage bicycle brotherhood accepts all who truly repent. ;) (and purchase a vintage bicycle)

I renovated a late 80s bike a while ago and did London - Paris on it. It was fun but I got sick of down tube shifters after a while. I'll stick with modern gear thanks ;-)

if downshifters were good enough for le cannibale then we have no right to complain.

Samuel Johnson used a quill pen but that aint stopping me using a biro ;-)
  • alanparsons
    alanparsons Posts: 529
    edited January 2013
    I have got a few oid school original jerseys I wear from teams I used to like, Mercatone Uno, Gewiss, Festina, Gerolstiener and GAN.
    They can be picked up cheaply on ebay and can be much better value than a new team jersey.
    I love the old drug bust team jerseys and come the summer will be wearing them on my commute to work.
    I am after a 1995 Novell in Large if anyone has one.
    http://www.wielermuseum.net/beeldfiche.php?beeldid=35007
  • Solo for me. Solo is a perfect balance in style and modern technology in fabrics. Beautiful design.
    Wilier cento uno.
  • Raffles
    Raffles Posts: 1,137
    wonder if they will ever bring out a lance jersey with a big syringe on it..................id laugh me nutz off
    2012 Cannondale CAAD 8 105
  • 69 kgs at 6.2 is nearly underweight imo, must be a real streak of piss! i thought i was at 6.4 77kg!

so how fat is fat?
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    jane90 wrote:
    I completely understand appreciating the retro aesthetic of vintage jerseys in a Mad Men kind of way but being new to cycling I'm not quite sure what you mean about how the past represents the "essence" of cycling in a way that cycling now doesn't. I'd be genuinely interested to know.

I love to watch films or read about the likes of Merckx and Coppi. I really appreciate the lines of the fine steel racing bikes that they rode and the look of the traditional cycling cap and jersey. However, a lot of this is just a case of rose tinted spectacles.

As you may be able to tell from my avatar, I love Formula 1 and I particularly love the era of the 60s when men were men, no-one cheated and everyone behaved like a gentleman. Of course, in reality, most of that isn't true but it was different and for that reason has a romantic appeal.

Cycling is just the same. There is a culture surrounding cycling and for many people the post-war period of cycling was its golden age. It's easy to look back on the pictures of Merckx and Coppi (who were both truly great riders) and think how cool they all looked just as F1 fans look at pictures of Jim Clark and Fangio and think the same thing.

It's harmless nostalgia but there are reasons why both sports have moved on.
  • Anyone in an 80s or 90s retro pro jersey looks the business, even if they're overweight. ;-)

Each to their own but I find the 'no writing' Assos / DHB / Endura whatever designs bland, boring and often tasteless.

Retro merino looks good too mind.
  • I love the old drug bust team jerseys and come the summer will be wearing them on my commute to work.

:lol: Absolute classic. Big wave from me if I see you!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,602
    I had an old woolen jersey when I first started riding which looked great but it was absolutely horrendous to ride in especially if it got wet. Give me modern materials anyday. It may have been different with merino wool but I don't think that many old jerseys were merino. For me in 20 odd years of riding the clothing has improved more than bike and component technology. Maybe it is just that I never had great quality kit but even cheap stuff now seems pretty good.
  • jane90
    Thank you, Lotus49. So if I understand you correctly, apart from an aesthetic appreciation of the vintage look, everything else is just wistful nostalgia? I must admit. I was struggling to understand how a person on a bicycle could capture the essence of a person on a bicycle better or worse, depending if they were doing it now or 30 years ago.
  • Strith
    Strith Posts: 541
    jane90 wrote:
    Thank you, Lotus49. So if I understand you correctly, apart from an aesthetic appreciation of the vintage look, everything else is just wistful nostalgia? I must admit. I was struggling to understand how a person on a bicycle could capture the essence of a person on a bicycle better or worse, depending if they were doing it now or 30 years ago.

Wistful nostalgia? There does seem to be quite a few stuck in the past on here. The sport has moved on and a very small minority seem belittle those who can afford nice new lightweight bikes and gear. It's mostly jealousy so don't worry. You don't need a heavy old steel bike and retro gear to get your cycling essence.

Back on topic. I find most vintage designs look pretty naff to be honest. I'd much rather a plain or basic looking modern jersey using modern materials. Saying that there's plenty modern ones that look bad too, foska marmite, beans and W&G being prime examples. But it's all down to personal taste, and I agree that retro kit on non-retro bikes and vice-versa does look the worst.
  • Burt25
    Burt25 Posts: 117
    If you are built like a PRO cyclist, by all means wear Lycra jerseys, but if you have a few extra pound, even not too many, Lycra looks awful, you might not notice, but everybody else will.
    When I was 69 Kg Lycra was borderline acceptable, now at 74 it looks wrong... Merino jerseys are way more forgiving, and tasteful too.
    We really have enough fat Wiggos around... :mrgreen:

I couldn't disagree more... Wear what makes YOU comfortable when you're on your bike. It doesn't matter one bit what other people think. we seem to be so hung up as a society on appearance and what others think.. Something not right about that.
  • Burt25 wrote:
    If you are built like a PRO cyclist, by all means wear Lycra jerseys, but if you have a few extra pound, even not too many, Lycra looks awful, you might not notice, but everybody else will.
    When I was 69 Kg Lycra was borderline acceptable, now at 74 it looks wrong... Merino jerseys are way more forgiving, and tasteful too.
    We really have enough fat Wiggos around... :mrgreen:

I couldn't disagree more... Wear what makes YOU comfortable when you're on your bike. It doesn't matter one bit what other people think. we seem to be so hung up as a society on appearance and what others think.. Something not right about that.

So true. When I was losing my weight I felt great about myself and wore lycra once I felt comfortable. So many people worry about others not looking perfect, and feel the need to ridicule them. Personally when I see a larger person on a bike with Lycra on I give them a thumbs up, as they are doing something that is making them feel better.

All this hate in this thread on larger people really speaks about the character of some people on the forum. Just shows they have nothing more interesting happening in their life than to make fun of people doing something about their weight. Oh well, some people are just a bit sad.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    edited January 2013
    Strith wrote:
    Wistful nostalgia? There does seem to be quite a few stuck in the past on here. The sport has moved on and a very small minority seem belittle those who can afford nice new lightweight bikes and gear. It's mostly jealousy so don't worry. You don't need a heavy old steel bike and retro gear to get your cycling essence.

Jealousy? Why do people always assume that those who like old things like them only because they can't afford new things. It's a bit insulting really :wink: Besides, it makes no sense - a cheap half decent vintage bike is barely cheaper than a bottom end Carrera so you'll almost always choose vintage because you want one rather than it's all you can afford.

I have bikes ranging from 1980 to 2013 - and ranging from a humble Dawes 501 tubed tourer to a lugged carbon Look of the same model that carried Thor Hushovd to a prologue victory in the TdF about 5 years back. The thing that makes the 1980 bike harder work than the new ones is not the frame weight, it isn't the down tube shifters (which are a joy to use and rather nicer, and lighter, than modern systems and only very occasionally, in very particular circumstances, inferior in function to combine brake/shifters) and it isn't the brakes. It is simply the high gearing - hills are tougher on that bike than heavier bikes. None of the other technology really makes a significant difference beyond a small fraction of a mile an hour. I like all my bikes - but I do believe that about 90% of talk about progress and technology is really just Emperors New Clothes in terms of real world benefit.

As for jerseys. I like the retro Prendas ones - the advertising on those is simpler and more tasteful than the current ones which are rarely less than garish. The Sky one is neat though. Shame it says 'Sky' :lol:
    So true. When I was losing my weight I felt great about myself and wore lycra once I felt comfortable. So many people worry about others not looking perfect, and feel the need to ridicule them. Personally when I see a larger person on a bike with Lycra on I give them a thumbs up, as they are doing something that is making them feel better.

+1 - they are just wearing the right kit for the job. If your appearance is the first thing on your mind when choosing your kit, you are doing it all wrong. Lets not forget that non cyclists think we look daft in Lycra whatever shape we are.
    Faster than a tent.......

• With my nom de plume I've got to like this..............
    So uncluttered compared to some of the current trade teams
  • Strith
    Strith Posts: 541
    Rolf F wrote:
    Strith wrote:

Jealousy? Why do people always assume that those who like old things like them only because they can't afford new things. It's a bit insulting really :wink: Besides, it makes no sense - a cheap half decent vintage bike is barely cheaper than a bottom end Carrera so you'll almost always choose vintage because you want one rather than it's all you can afford.

Don't get me wrong I agree and that's why I said a very small minority. I'm not talking about people who like old bikes etc, I'm talking about the usual suspects who rant on about "you shoulnd't buy a carbon bike or lightweight parts cos you're not a pro" or some such rubbish. It's a hobby for most of us and people just like to have nice things no? I ride a gazelle steel bike as my winter trainer and I wouldn't belittle anyone for doing the same, but if I could afford a more modern race bike for training I would get one.

As for people dishing out stick to lager riders. I see larger people in lycra every day I ride and never once have I thought it looks bad. I'm pleased to see people doing soemthing they enjoy. People who poke fun at people who are actually trying to do something about their weight are sad.

You choose the right tools for the job and often in cycling thats lycra, or some similar close fitting clothing.
  • jane90
    If I saw one of my friend's slightly overweight dad in a club or a bar, wearing skinny jeans and doing a dad-dance, I'd think that was fairly tragic. If, however, I saw him on a bike wearing functional, close-fitting Lycra, trying to do something to keep in shape, I'd say, good for you, well done.
  • very true, but still keen to know how fat is considered fat by the orignal commentor, and like i cant see any issue with 20 year olds wearign a vintage jersey. y should a 40 year old be any better in it? they were probably not alive when the vintage jersey was first in use. just because you are youn, doesnt mean you cant have an appreciation of the history of cycling and wear a vintage jersey because of that.

im in my mid 20's and am currently reading the works of jean bobet and his works paint (in my mind at least) a sepia, rose tinted bygone age of a simpler world of cycling that seems very appealing, i may go out and an d by a vintage jersy now (not a 70's/80's retro one, a proper vintage one) albeit a new cheap replica of one if i can. i dont think i would look stupid in it.

prendas is good for the retro ones but whats the best place for the vintage style ones?
  • Classification jerseys? Bit dull aren't they. Also they have a strong whiff of the merchandising stall.

The polka dot ones would be OK, I guess.

Though if I saw someone in a maglia rosa then there'd be a bit of respect for that...
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522

Though if I saw someone in a maglia rosa then there'd be a bit of respect for that...

Y :?:
  • i suspect hes inferring that they would be brave to where a pink jersey for some reason.
  • Careca
    Careca Posts: 95
    Cycling is about having fun and so you should be able to wear what you want. If someone wants to wear a replica yellow jersey then so what. It's obvious that they have not earned it and I'm sure they're not trying to kid anyone into thinking that they have. Same for trade kits.

As for vintage jerseys, well the materials are awful, but have no problem with the modern takes on the vintage look. Just wish my club had a decent looking, and well made, kit, then I'd wear it more!
  • i suspect hes inferring that they would be brave to where a pink jersey for some reason.

Absolutely. Bright pink jersey on a bloke on the roads of the UK? Must be a true fan...
  • nothing wrong with pink!
  • I guess I also meant there'd be a bit of respect because fewer UK riders would have seen the Giro. I'd think the same of someone in a red Vuelta jersey.
    Though of course that ain't pink. And wearing the jersey is no sign that you even 'saw' the race incountry.
    So someone in a Tour of Langkawi (or similar) jersey, whatever that is and as long as it's not yellow, would be the ultimate.
    Anyway, I digress. In answer to the OP, 1980s tops are the best.
  • no its not, i have the young riders giro 2012 jersey and never even been to italy!

i would like a 2012 vuelta jersey too (maybe not the red or polka dot), but for the life of me and cannot find anywhere that sells any vuelta jerseys (apart from some from 2011 and 2010) i have no idea why you cant buy them, online at least, i guess its just a continuation the crappy marketing attitude that makes the vuelta lag so far behind the tour and giro in terms of people views. maybe you can but them in spain or ,maybe the organisers honor the jerseys and effort of winning so much as to not let joe public have a version of them!

i was once tempted to buy a tour of missouri jersey off ebay..but decided against it as such an obscure jersey should only really be bought if you have seen the race i think.... i do plan to pick up a tour of cali jersey of some sort, (need to see which looks nicest!), if i can catch some of the race when im over there. i would imagine they are a rarity on the roads of britain, and cant imagine many roadies here will have any clue what the jersey relates to (unless they are close enough to read the spiel on the breast/collar)
  • Apologies for bringing up an old thread.

Whilst the missus was browsing through a charity shop in New Zealand, I managed to find an 'old' Panasonic Raleigh jersey. The condition is absolutely immaculate - probably never worn - but, has been made by 100% acrylic in Belgium. Is this likely to be original or a remake?

I have been trying to some research online but appears to be reasonably limited (or, I am looking in completely the wrong place!).
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    My guess is that '100% acrylic' is what it is made of - not the name of the company who made it.