Another newbie!

Philly8mt
Philly8mt Posts: 552
edited January 2013 in Road beginners
Hi all,

Pick my new bike up tomorrow and then plan to get out and about. I've not been near a bike for over twenty years and have never changed a tyre or a gear so it may be a little messy to start with!
The bike shop suggested diving straight in with the proper shoes so that may be another area of comedy potential, perhaps my first few rides need to be starting around 3am?

My question is ....

When's the best time to approach a club with a view to honing/learning skills? I'm obviously going to suss out the gears, shoes (hopefully!) and not falling off the bike on my own! What level of fitness, speed or miles should I be hitting before I bother anyone or expect them to be bothered about me?

Thanks in advance :)

P.S Live in Chesterfield if that helps anyone to point me in the right direction.
Still thinking of something clever to say!

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    An often debated subject.

Basically you need a reasonable level of fitness as club rides tend to be a consistent effort for 2 - 3 or more hours on varying terrain.

IMO get used to cycling again and get used to cycling for several hours non-stop. Any talk of average speed is largely irrelevant as there are too many variables to get accurate and consistent data.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • When I first started I was worried that I would not be fit enough to join a club and wanted to put it off. However when I went on my first club ride I found that pretty everyone was helpful and they did several different speed groups with the slowest having a "not leave anyone behind" ethos.

After about 12 months of riding I got to repay the kindness while helping to co-lead a slow group ride when 2 new members both punctured within about 50 yards of each other and neither had an idea how to get their wheels off (basic things like changing into the smallest ring on the rear helps) or to change the tyres.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Thanks Smidsy.

That answer is probably not far away from what I was thinking tbf. I guess my big problem is not really having anyone to point me in the right direction re technical issues and that may be where a club could come in useful. None of my friends locally ride and if I'm being honest I only fell into this after a ruptured achillies put paid to my footballing!

I'll ride, gain fitness, read this forum, watch you tube! And see where it takes me ...
  • When I first started I was worried that I would not be fit enough to join a club and wanted to put it off. However when I went on my first club ride I found that pretty everyone was helpful and they did several different speed groups with the slowest having a "not leave anyone behind" ethos.

After about 12 months of riding I got to repay the kindness while helping to co-lead a slow group ride when 2 new members both punctured within about 50 yards of each other and neither had an idea how to get their wheels off (basic things like changing into the smallest ring on the rear helps) or to change the tyres.

Fair play to ya :D

I guess it rather depends on the club?
    Anyone any ideas for the Chesterfield area?
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
  • smidsy wrote:

Thanks for that. It would seem that there are clubs in the area that also cater for the novice. "Spiralling" rides may just be the thing til I gain a little more fitness/knowledge :D
  • johnmiosh
    johnmiosh Posts: 211
    Hi Philly,

Just noticed the post. Try Bolsover & District, Spiralling on offer, as are saturday rides, sunday A & B rides and many others,

Web http://www.bolsoveranddistrictcyclingclub.org.uk/

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/407779339240771/
  • Philly8mt
    Philly8mt Posts: 552
    johnmiosh wrote:
    Hi Philly,

Just noticed the post. Try Bolsover & District, Spiralling on offer, as are saturday rides, sunday A & B rides and many others,

Web http://www.bolsoveranddistrictcyclingclub.org.uk/

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/407779339240771/

Thanks for that .... I've made my first trip out and whilst I enjoyed it, can't exactly say I was anywhere near safe or competent enough for group ride just yet!
    I'll keep chipping away at it and eventually take the advice you've given :)

Cheers
    Phil