Choice of frame sizes - one option better than other?

muzzan
muzzan Posts: 203
edited December 2012 in Road beginners
Hi there,

I am ready to order a new bike(2012 Xeon RS3000) from Rose in Germany, however I could go with either the size 53 or the 55. If I go with the smaller frame it will mean I have a longer stem (possibly 110mm), about 4cm of spacers under the stem & about 10 cm of seat post showing.

If I go with the larger frame I will have a 90mm stem, maybe 2cm of spacers & about 8cm of seat tube showing.

I've based this on matching my current bikes geometry, saddle to bar drop & reach.

So my question is, although both will fit fine (as far as I can tell), is there any real reason to go with one or the other? I like the idea of having less spacers under the stem, but would the reduced seat post exposure mean less comfort? Would there be any significant difference in steering/performance (obviously the smaller frame will be a bit lighter)?

The good news is Rose have a free 30 day return policy so I can try one & exchange if necessary, but I'd rather get it right 1st time!

Cheers

Cheers

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I would always go with a smaller frame where two options both fit. Less weight and more seat post is always cool :-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • 16mm
    16mm Posts: 545
    How big are your feet? The smaller frame may have toe overlap with the front wheel. If they both have toe overlap, as small frames often do, the smaller one may be worse.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    They will both have toe overlap.

I'd go for the smaller one; easier to make fit and a long stem is cool!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • muzzan
    Thanks guys, smaller frame was kind of the way I was leaning anyway. Toe overlap is a good point, but I have it on my current bike & doesnt really bother me, only at very low speeds do you notice it.

Will go for the smaller one & I always have the exchange option if necessary
  • p1tse
    p1tse Posts: 694
    How was the stand over height?
    Wanted: Cube Streamer/Agree GTC Compact / Pro/ Race : 53cm
  • Id go with the smaller size too. More post technically means more flex which means more comfort (especially if you buy a nice carbon post)

A longer stem will create a more stable handling, as it creates a bigger triangle between the axle, the centre of the steerer and the centre of your bars = Less speed wobble effect, especially when on the flats of the bar. Youll also have more force over the front end which should mean more traction for handling.

Make sure you dont only need to create that extra reach forward.. check knee over pedal and think about a set back post if its needed. Shouldnt be a huge amount in it really.

Personally i like a bigger drop than most at the front end, for the handling quality. Also seems more comfortable and more efficient to me to spread the weight across the bike.

Good luck with it all.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Well, if you have to use a 90mm stem, I think that means the bike doesnt fit!
  • Burt25
    Burt25 Posts: 117
    muzzan wrote:
    Hi there,

I am ready to order a new bike(2012 Xeon RS3000) from Rose in Germany, however I could go with either the size 53 or the 55. If I go with the smaller frame it will mean I have a longer stem (possibly 110mm), about 4cm of spacers under the stem & about 10 cm of seat post showing.

If I go with the larger frame I will have a 90mm stem, maybe 2cm of spacers & about 8cm of seat tube showing.

I've based this on matching my current bikes geometry, saddle to bar drop & reach.

So my question is, although both will fit fine (as far as I can tell), is there any real reason to go with one or the other? I like the idea of having less spacers under the stem, but would the reduced seat post exposure mean less comfort? Would there be any significant difference in steering/performance (obviously the smaller frame will be a bit lighter)?

The good news is Rose have a free 30 day return policy so I can try one & exchange if necessary, but I'd rather get it right 1st time!

Cheers

Cheers

As I understand it if you fall between 2 frame sizes, you should compare your height to your arm span (arms outstretched measure finger tip to finger tip) if your arms pan is more than your height, you go to the bigger size, otherwise if you have shorter armspan than height, go smaller.
  • muzzan
    Thanks again folks, have ordered the 53, i think it will be fine, hopefully it will arrive soonish.

Heres a link, went for the black & yellow option.

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/rose ... aid:547276

Cheers
  • p1tse
    p1tse Posts: 694
    I'm just over 5ft8 and going by size charts I should be on a traditional 54cm
    Having tried a few and plumped for a cube with 53cm being 52.5cm (I think) and a 56cm being a 54cm (I think)
    I went with the 53cm as the other felt too stretched
    Wanted: Cube Streamer/Agree GTC Compact / Pro/ Race : 53cm