Westerley CC Reliability Ride, Chilterns, Sunday Jan 13th

frank9755
frank9755 Posts: 37
We've been running this for many years but this is the first time we have actively promoted it. So there will be a proper HQ, signed route, computerised timing system and plenty of food at the end. We're hoping to get a decent field who want to get the new cycling year rolling and burn off some Christmas pudding.

It's a cracking route that starts in Chalfont St Peter (handy for West London, the M40 and M25) and takes in many of the main hills in the central part of the Chilterns.

The main ride is 107km (1300m of climbing) and there is also a shorter version of around 58km. Advance entry to either one is at January sales prices of £4, or £5 on the day.

The route outline is below, there's more info on the website here, or PM me if you have any questions.

full.png

For a ride in January, we can't guarantee the weather and if, it is icy, we won't run this route. If that is the case, we have an alternative A-road version for those who want to get a ride in, or we would refund advance entries for those who'd rather wait until it warms up!

Comments

• bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    Hopefully see you there Frank - going to be a big shock after this week in Gran Canaria though ;)

Looks like a lot of the roads we've ridden once or twice as well!
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • psitta
    psitta Posts: 1
    Evening Westerley people - will you be running the loop clockwise or acw?

CP
  • It goes anti-clockwise!
  • We've got sponsorship!

First 75 riders will get a High5 gel / energy drink.

Thanks to High5 and Woolsey of Acton
    http://highfive.co.uk/
    http://www.woolseyofacton.co.uk/
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    In for this - looks a cracking route.
  • Cheers, Marcus!

I've been watching the weather forecast keenly all week. A few days ago it was looking like this was going to be snowed and iced off, but now I'm beginning to think we might just get away with it. Forecast is for it to be cold enough to freeze overnight but dry and windy enough on Saturday for the roads not be wet when it does so!

We plan to make a call by 3pm tomorrow afternoon and will update the website then so that people don't have wasted journeys if it's not sensible to run it.

Frank
  • Weather forecast much better now so we're definitely on :D
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    frank9755 wrote:
    Weather forecast much better now so we're definitely on :D

How did it go?
    My feet were blocks of ice after two hours yesterday. Not sure I could have managed 100km!
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    That was a brilliant day out - very well organised and a great, tough route (for the first 75km, and then a nice flat run in to the end).

Very chilly all day - we had a little bit of sun first thing - would have been nice if that had stayed and warmed us (slightly!). So hovering around freezing all day - brrrr.

Rode there and back to make for the first 100 mile day of the year for me.
  • 56mph
    56mph Posts: 70
    First long ride of the year, cold but dry and sunny earlier on. Great route with some climbs that were new to me. Legs started complaining around the 80k mark so average speed dropped sharply towards the finish. But still enjoyed the day! Hoped to follow it with the Harp Hilly Hundred last Sunday but snowed off...
  • shazzz wrote:
    How did it go?

It went very well. We had about 70 starters and only two DNFs (due to the cold and probably lack of warm layers). Most things seemed to work, considering it was our first time. I think most people liked the route, saw the the signs (apart from three guys who missed one and ended up in Chesham!) and avoided the ice - which was mainly in one place and easy to spot. The homemade cakes went down well. The timing worked, but we could get a bit slicker with the signing on.

We were very lucky with the weather. It was actually a nice, sunny but cold, winter day. As long as you had enough layers on and kept going, you stayed warm. But even a day later and we would have had to postpone.

I rode out and back as well. It was very hard to drag myself out of the (relatively) warm hall for the ride home!