winter tyre

DT1999
DT1999 Posts: 17
edited January 2013 in Road general
I am looking for a set of winter tyres and have been recommended Vittoria Rubino Tech Rigid Tyres are they any good if not could you recommend any others.

Comments

• Have a set of - Continental Grand Prix 4 Season on my winter bike for the first year last year and they have worked pretty well.

Guess its going to depend on the type of riding you do & also the conditions of roads your ride on
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Go for the Vittoria zaffiro. I use the 23mm wired bead version all autumn and winter. No punctures so far and they roll well. also only about £8 a go.
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Use the search facility as this has been covered about 5 times this month alone.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Continental ultragator skins. Not the cheapest but IMHO the best.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Vittoria Rubino Tech - good but size up small, the 25mm will be less than 25mm in width. Have extra "sidewall protection" vs a normal Rubino. Not as puncture resistant as a Gator Skin.

Continental Gator Skins - good but don't grip well. Fast and durable though, good for 3000 miles+

Continental Grand Prix 4 Season - fast and grippy and pretty good until they have done 1500 miles. Then they puncture all the time and are most irritating. Also an expensive tyre

For winter I use bikes with a lot of clearance so I can fit 28mm+ tyres with mudguards. I either ride Marathon Supremes, Marathon Plus or Winter Marathons. These are all Schwalbe tyres.
  • DT1999
    DT1999 Posts: 17
    Thanks for the advice :-)
  • Michelin pro 4 endurance
  • Michelin pro 4 endurance

I've done 1600 miles on mine since September in all weathers-no punctures.
  • I'm amazed at the grip of the pro 4 too. I've gone into a a few corners too fast in shatty conditions and they have behaved impeccably.