Cycle carriers

boxxer750
boxxer750 Posts: 33
edited December 2012 in Road general
Hi

Looking at getting some sort of cycle carrier so i can take by bike to more scenic places to ride. Can anyone recommend a descent carrier that is safe and wont break the bank?

Ive had a thule roof rack in the past and it was very good! Priced one up for the current car (Seat Leon) and it comes to £230 which is a bit more than i can afford at the mo.

Thanks

Comments

• thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    If you have roof bars then get the Thule 591 carriers. They are about £90 each - very sturdy and good!
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • If it's just one bike the Saris solo is a for a boot/hatch rack quite simple, a few of the local racers really like them.

Paul
  • paul_smith_srcc
    paul_smith_srcc Posts: 247
    edited December 2012
    If it's just one bike the Saris solo is a for a boot/hatch rack quite simple, a few of the local racers really like them.

Paul
    Edit don't know why this came though twice; will delete if I knew how...
  • If it's just one bike the Saris solo is a for a boot/hatch rack quite simple, a few of the local racers really like them.

Paul
    Edit don't know why this came though twice; will delete if I knew how...

Cheers I think you have just solved my what to do with Christmas Wiggle vouchers!! Moved from a company estate vehicle to a small h/back this year and not really though it an option to go away and take the bike.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • This months Cycling Active magazine has a comparison of the various types and marks out of 10
  • Thanks for the replies! Ive had a look into the Saris Solo one and reviews say its good however you need extra straps and Saris recommend you go no faster than 50mph with it on. Ill be doing a lot of motorway miles so its not an ideal option.

I might just bite the bullet and go for the thule system. At least i know the bike will be secure. Couldnt bare my pride and joy bouncing down the M62 :?

Thanks again!
  • Get these.. http://www.fordonlineparts.co.uk/produc ... 698518-450 £56.85 (was £85)
    They're good and easy to use! just gotta be able to lift your bike.
    Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. --John F. Kennedy
  • Going to keep an eye on this thread.

I like the idea of putting my bike on a Thule roof rack but then I need the roof bars etc and it all adds up.

Not sure on rear carriers- does anyone have experience with these? How fiddly to install are they?

At the moment I just fold down my seats and through it in the back, but when its winter that isn't such an attractive proposition.
  • I was after the strapless thule clip-on until I discovered it won't fit my car. :(

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... k-11-44975
  • grony
    grony Posts: 75
    "Thanks for the replies! Ive had a look into the Saris Solo one and reviews say its good however you need extra straps and Saris recommend you go no faster than 50mph with it on. Ill be doing a lot of motorway miles so its not an ideal option."

For these reasons I went for the Saris Bones. Excellent piece of kit, easy to fit and folds to a compact size for storage, bit more £ than the Solo but well worth it IMO.
  • grony wrote:
    For these reasons I went for the Saris Bones. Excellent piece of kit, easy to fit and folds to a compact size for storage, bit more £ than the Solo but well worth it IMO.

How quick and easy is it to fit the bones? I've looked at them before and speed and ease (the less straps the better) is my main concern as I am bad tempered and hate faffing around with things. I just want to lob it on the back of the car and throw the bikes on without any effort. I also noted that they mentioned I would need some special clip or other because of my rear window. Do you know if this clip comes supplied or do you have to get them seperate?
  • grony
    I am massively impatient and hate anything that requires faffing around. The bones took 10 mins to fit first time, but now can be put on in a couple of minutes. If I go anywhere with my mtb, I park up take the bike off, lob the bones in the boot, go for a ride, then stick it back on again, it really is very easy. As for extra clips and stuff, I've no idea, check the vehicle selector on the Saris site, I didn't need anything extra for my boring Astra.
  • grony wrote:
    I am massively impatient and hate anything that requires faffing around. The bones took 10 mins to fit first time, but now can be put on in a couple of minutes. If I go anywhere with my mtb, I park up take the bike off, lob the bones in the boot, go for a ride, then stick it back on again, it really is very easy. As for extra clips and stuff, I've no idea, check the vehicle selector on the Saris site, I didn't need anything extra for my boring Astra.

Hmmm thanks. Sounds good. Do you have to squat down and fit any straps underneath the rear bumper? I really can't be arsed with that caper.
  • grony

Hmmm thanks. Sounds good. Do you have to squat down and fit any straps underneath the rear bumper? I really can't be arsed with that caper.

Nope, clips to the bottom of the boot. Bought mine on the basis of loads of recommendations on here, must be plenty of threads on it.
  • The bones was the other unit I was looking at, however my focus has a stupid spoiler which the straps would have to go over, or alternatively through.

I'm sure our more than friendly local halfords store will know more :roll: