Gonna be sore in the morning!

wavefront
wavefront Posts: 397
edited December 2012 in Road general
It had to happen - had my first major 'off' tonight and now nursing a severely bloody road rash down my left leg and an equally bruised ego and bike. 

Ironically I took MTB for this holiday so I could take to the trails, rather than risk the road bike on the roads here - we're near Aberdeen where I thought it could be icy and would be asking for trouble. However, I was missing the black stuff so much I felt compelled to ride my MTB on the road to the top of Cairn O'mount tonight, a fairly steep climb to 1500 ft. As it's been unusually mild so far, I thought all would be ok - but a few minutes into the return leg I hit a damp patch at around 25mph and off I came. Bang!

It's the first time I've fallen off at speed on a road, and couldn't believe how quickly my wheels went from under me. Literally no chance to correct. Luckily, nothing broken on the bike, other than a bracket for my lights - clothing is a different matter though, everything has holes in it. 

Despite the crash, it was still an awesome ride home under the full moon and stars - Hope you all had incident free rides today!

Comments

• Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    Hah yeah. Had a crash myself when sprinting downhill out of the saddle at ~30mph and the chain came off front ring. When I realized what was happening I was pretty much hitting the road.

Just kind of sat on the roadside and did not want to move as I was just in pain. Was pretty achy for a few days afterwards as well. What can you do, stuffs happens. :p
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,547
    nasty, glad it wasn't worse

for the roadrash, if it's a big patch, ensure it's clean and before it scabs try to get a modern dressing, like tegaderm etc., a&e did mine, i was most impressed

that way it heals a lot faster and without scarring

wetsuit repair kits can patch lycra quite well
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    Ooftt! Sounds painful.

I've came off the bike too a few times. I've came off at like 12mph and still gotten bruised up with rashes!

Recently on a decent here in Mallorca I almost went down. The decent's are so epic (there's one which is about 10minutes minutes). They have loads of twists and turns at different angles. It's really testing of ones ability (although I lack any because I live in London). I was going round them pretty cautiously at first, then on the second day round there I was blasting through a 180degree bend at like 25mph and thought I was about to fly off the cliff. :shock: :shock:

Braking wasn't an option because it counteracts the turn and I wouldn't have stopped in time anyway. So the only option was to man up and turn in more. To my surprise it worked and I survived the ordeal. I did it again the next day. :wink:
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Glad to hear you are ok. I have had a few offs (too bloody many!) and I can honestly say that what happens to the bike is not important, despite what we all say in jest. Look after your road rash as per the advice above, you will want the skin to heal well to avoid future problems.
  • Sounds nasty! After coming off my motor bike at around 30mph this year I often think about the consequences of coming off my push bike when going downhill at the same sort of speeds. Had full leathers on and they got badly scuffed and had a sore shoulder. Wouldnt like to think what it'd be like wearing shorts! :shock:
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Still awaiting my first off ...
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    You tried the Cairn at this time of year in the dark, I'm impressed! Hope you heal up soon.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!