Wheels...

cyclingDoc
cyclingDoc Posts: 20
edited June 2013 in Road general
Anybody have any thoughts on Mavic ksyrium elite vs. American Classic 420 Aero 3?

Comments

• alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Aren't the American Classics more comparable to the Cosmic elites as they are both semi-deep rims at 30mm for the Cosmics, and 34mm for the 420s?

The Kysriums don't claim to be aero and only have a 22-25mm rim depth?
  • FlacVest
    FlacVest Posts: 100
    In terms of numbers, wheels are pretty negligible in terms of aerodynamics if you aren't doing a TT. I'd focus on durability and rim weight, as the lighter rim will allow faster spin up, which will be much more noticeable than a few extra MM of rim depth.

I've read enough extensive studies with wind tunnels to discourage me from any kind of aero wheelset; something like a Zipp 404 saving single digit watts over a "standard" wheel like the Shimano RS 50, for a quick example.

TLDR: Get something light if you're light, or durable if you're heavy. Don't worry about aero unless you're racing and have the cash to blow. Moving your head down a few cms will outweigh the benefit of an aero wheelset.
  • dave35
    dave35 Posts: 1,124
    Depends on your budget too,have a look at the ksyrium equipes aswell.
    The best thing you can buy for less than a pair of wheels is a set of really good tyres-a lot of people overlook this.
  • FlacVest wrote:
    I've read enough extensive studies with wind tunnels to discourage me from any kind of aero wheelset; something like a Zipp 404 saving single digit watts over a "standard" wheel like the Shimano RS 50, for a quick example.

Shimano don't make an RS 50 do they :?
  • FlacVest wrote:
    In terms of numbers, wheels are pretty negligible in terms of aerodynamics if you aren't doing a TT. I'd focus on durability and rim weight, as the lighter rim will allow faster spin up, which will be much more noticeable than a few extra MM of rim depth.

TLDR: Get something light if you're light, or durable if you're heavy. Don't worry about aero unless you're racing and have the cash to blow. Moving your head down a few cms will outweigh the benefit of an aero wheelset.

I agree. I think the point of V shaped carbon rims has been lost by people... it's not much the aerodynamics of those 30-40 mm rims, but rather the extra stiffness than those provide at no extra weight, often at less weight than a standard box shaped rim.
    My morning thoughts on carbon clincher rims here

http://paolocoppo.drupalgardens.com/content/carbon-all
    left the forum March 2023
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Coincidentally I've just got hold of a set of AC 420 Aero 3 wheels. I can't compare them with the Mavic (mine replaced a pair of Fulcrum Racing 5s) but they're a step up from the Fulcrums. Smoother, spin up a lot easier etc. I can't put it any other way than the ACs are a lot nicer and make each ride a nicer experience.

In case you wondered, I bought them on a whim - was in my old LBS and he had a lightly used pair tyred & tubed and I was in the market for new wheels anyway. The ACs are good wheels, if a bit prone to sudden crosswinds.
  • Was just wondering as I bought a set of AC420 Aero 3's for my old bike. Bought a new bike this winter. A Cannondale supersix ultegra Di2 and it came with the Mavics. It's mounted on the turbo now as we are in the middle of winter here in Norway, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see when spring comes around which set I like the most. For what it's worth, the AC's really transformed the ride of my old bike. Fast rolling, stiff, climbed well I thought.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I have to say that the AC's are very stiff and light but it is at the expense of quite a harsh feel.

I do like them but I do often think it would be nice if they were not quite so 'feedback rich'.

I may well get some carbon rims instead.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    smidsy wrote:
    I have to say that the AC's are very stiff and light but it is at the expense of quite a harsh feel.

I do like them but I do often think it would be nice if they were not quite so 'feedback rich'.

I may well get some carbon rims instead.

My Reynolds Attacks are awesome. I'd recommend you take a look.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • cyclingDoc
    cyclingDoc Posts: 20
    I have now had time to try both wheelsets on longer and shorter rides. Have taken them both on the same 180 km ride and I prefer the ACs. They roll better and climb the same. The Mavics seem to be a bit stiffer though. When getting out of the saddle and really going for it on steep climbs I do get some brake rub on the ACs, but not so much that it bothers me. They have also held up really well. Have run them on some pretty bad roads and have hit a lot of bumps and potholes, but so far, they hold true after 2000 km.