First Sportive

Jahmoo
Jahmoo Posts: 168
Hi Guys & Gals,

Long time Member, first time poster!

I will make this as quick and painless as possible..... Been cycling for many years, but nothing over 25miles, I have a prolapse disc, L4/L5, I am also Diabetic, Type 1. 2012 has been a lacklustre time on the bike, due to work commitments, new job in August 2011, but it did not work out, new job started November 2012.

I am 40yrs old and prefer Road Riding, on my Hybrid. I love cycling, and have only ever cycled alone, confidence thing I guess. I put on some weight over the past year(Pressure and Strain of Job).

I have not completely decided yet, but need to set myself a Goal for 2013, to get fit again. I was thinking of a Sportive, nothing too long to start, but it will give me something to focus on.

Need some advice on training, and just some support I guess, again, confidence for this type of thing is not great.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Jahmoo :)

Comments

• Hello Jahmoo
    Suggest you try to increase your hours in the saddle as a simple goal. Increase gradually setting new targets each week. Have you decided which Sportive you are going for? Look in the 'Tours, Routes and Organised Rides' Forum then under Sportives. Maybe worth posting there for a someone to buddy up with for the ride? Look on the British Cycling website for a list of events. Whereabouts are you based?
  • Jahmoo
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for the Diabetes link, I have been Diabetic for 15yrs and cycling for about 10 of those, so feedback good, but nothing I don't already know, food side of my weight issue is sorted. Appeciate the info all the same :)

Based between Basingstoke and Reading, will have a closer look in that section. Time on the bike maybe the way to go, as always looked at miles done. Have been out on the bike, its been most weekends, but short rides. Started Xmas day, went out on Boxing day also, today was a no go due to weather, but hoping to get some miles in. Will look at the forum area suggested. Thanks :)
  • More direct link to BC Sportive pages, has tips section as well :)

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/sportives
  • Jahmoo
    Arthur, great link, seems to be coming together nicely thanks. Now just need to get on the bike and start training. January will be just simple rides but as you said, build up the time over the 4/5 weeks. Will do my homework for training in February, as I like the look of the Southern Spring Classic in March(Devils Punch Bowl) as my first Sportive, will give me something to aim for.....just the 50miler to start :wink:

Thanks again!
  • No problem, looks a nice ride!, if you post in the Sportives forum you may find others doing it as well if you want to say hello or find a group to ride with. I've ridden a few Sportives and they're good fun, you can often tag onto a group if you find they're riding at a similar pace. Don't be tempted to go off fast at the start or keep up with quick groups, settle to a comfortable pace and just enjoy the experience. There's also Audax which is a long established organisation which organises trials all over the country (and Continent) they are very well run but don't offer route marks or the other bells and whistles you get with most Sportives however they are much cheaper (£5?) http://www.aukweb.net/
  • Jahmoo
    Cheers for the Audax site. Some close rides for only £6 but 4th March, will see closer to time, due to 100km 55mls a bit of a trek at the moment, but who knows in 6 weeks, maybe, or not, will see.