Bb30 Fsa slk vs SRAM red compact

d8mok
d8mok Posts: 107
edited December 2012 in Road buying advice
Hi guys,

Wanting to replace my fsa grossmare chainset which is bb30 on a supersix . Wanting to spend circa £200 , and either fsa slk and SRAM red black keep popping up.

Which is better ? And why?

I assume both would fit onto my existing bearings and also work with my 105 group set.

Wanting to keep my 172.5 length and 34/50. Would go to 175 if needed.

Thanks

Comments

• lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    d8mok wrote:
    fsa grossmare chainset

It's not that bad, is it?
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I've got a BB30 SLK light on one bike and SRAM red on the other, the difference............. I can't really see or feel a difference. I've used FSA slk light for years and I can't fault the chainsets they're light and stiff and give a slick change, the SRAM red chainset is new to me because I've used Shimano but that's fine up to now.
  • You don't necessarily need to get something that high-dollar: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=75626

Cool thing about the 950 series cranks is they're no less impressive spec wise than Force/Red. In fact these are the arms which are used in the Quark power cranks, you can recognize them in this picture: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sram-srm-powerm ... -chainset/

So if the value proposition doesn't persuade you and you want a crankset that just plain ol' looks good, get the Force. There is no difference between it and Red unless someone's cut them open to have a look.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • d8mok
    lc1981 wrote:
    d8mok wrote:
    fsa grossmare chainset

No it's ok, but I want to upgrade for the bling factor and also to lessen weight. It'll be for sale when I do upgrade.
  • d8mok
    Force looks good too, but its not much more for red. An extra £30 isn't here or there.

So SRAM is ok with 105 everything else?
  • Bozman
    d8mok wrote:
    Force looks good too, but its not much more for red. An extra £30 isn't here or there.

So SRAM is ok with 105 everything else?

105 will run fine, put a kmc chain on to finish it off.
  • ADIHEAD
    ADIHEAD Posts: 575
    I've had and used all 3! No real performance differences, SLK pedal thread insert broke though after 4 years and 9000 odd miles. Apparently this was a known problem with FSA's so I went for a Sram Red as a replacement. Bought a new frame and used the Red on it, got a cheap Force for old frame. Can't notice any difference whatsoever in weight or stiffness. Decided against Sram 950 though as there's less shoe clearance, which means scuff marks on the carbon crank arms - that may or not bother you though? FSA SLK also has less shoe clearance than Sram Red/Force. I've used mostly KMC X10SL with Shimano and Sram groupo's and no problems with shifting. However I'd say, the shifting on my winter bikes Ultegra 6700 chainset is the smoothest I've ever used, and if Shimano did BB30 I'd go for these every time!

Hope this helps?
  • d8mok
    Yeh that's good mate. I'm swaying more towards SRAM. Maybe even force.

Can get red/back for £260 in correct size from highonbikes.

Struggling to find correct size In force less than £240?

I don't want rub marks as my mtb has them and it looks horrid.
  • ADIHEAD
    ADIHEAD Posts: 575
    Careful with High on Bikes. I bought my Force from them - admittedly for £200 and they came without spacers and the required curly washer for fitment on the non drive side. They told me they come with the BB30 kit but this turned out not to be the case and I had to order them from Fishers. Perhaps not a deal breaker but bare it in mind when comparing prices.
  • Bozman
    Have a look at bikediscountde
  • d8mok
    Already have mate. So far found force at £205 at wiggle.

Can get £5 off this and also earn 3% cash back so circa £195
  • Sram Red black chainset from wiggle should be £200 also after discount, bum...no sizes

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CSS ... d_chainset - £200 for a set of black red
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CSF ... inset_bb30 - £200 slk light
    Road - Cannondale CAAD 8 - 7.8kg
    Road - Chinese Carbon Diablo - 6.4kg
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    d8mok wrote:
    lc1981 wrote:
    d8mok wrote:
    fsa grossmare chainset

No it's ok, but I want to upgrade for the bling factor and also to lessen weight. It'll be for sale when I do upgrade.

Never mind, it was an attempted joke based on your misspelling of "Gossamer".
  • d8mok
    Think I might go with the force. Thanks for the suggestion.

It's 15 g heavier , but £65 cheaper. Which is ideal.

What sort of money does a bb30 grossmare compact fetch used,? It's done 400 miles.