The Coffee Thread

2»

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Grind your own. Either spend a bit on a good grinder (e.g. Iberital MC2 - about £140 and the cheapest proper grinder). If that's too much then a hand burr grinder is fine if you're only making coffee for one or two.

I get my coffee from either Hasbean or Rave Coffee. Rave is good value if you buy a lot cos you get free postage (bulk buying only works if you get through a lot of coffee or if you buy green and roast yourself). I almost exclusively drink African coffees and usually Ethiopian, SIdamo or Yirgachefe. If you really love coffee then you really should go to Ethiopia one day and experience the coffee ceremony. Great place to ride a bike as well if you like a bit of adventure....
    More problems but still living....
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Bialetti electic moka maker here. Had it for ooh, almost 10 years now and use it nearly every day. The beauty of having an electric one is I can prime it the night before and have it come on on a timer! Magic.
    rodgers73 wrote:
    Decaf.

t2-(581).jpg

GET OUT!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Hey, at least I'm calm
  • I've just treated myself to a bean to cup machine (upgraded from a regular pumped espresso machine) and currently use Taylors of Harrogate 'Rich Italian' beans which seem ok, although Illy espresso beans have been recommended so I'll be trying them at some point. Seems they are the same as Amici coffee beans? Kona coffee has also be recommended... anyone tried any...?
    Still trying to convince the missus of the n+1 rule...!
  • Surprisingly my Magimix Nespresso machine makes a shot of espresso as good as any barista. Goodness knows what the coffee's called - they all have pretentious names. At the moment I like 2 pushes of the No.2 button using a dark grey capsule and hot milk.
    tick - tick - tick
  • I've got a Francis Francis espresso machine, easy to use and does excellent brews. Preferred ground coffee is illy espresso dark roast, tend to have a double early doors to kick start myself. Mrs Damage has just bought me a Krug grinder for Xmas, trying some Perco Black & Beyond beans (only as they were on offer); we'll see how it goes.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    rodgers73 wrote:
    Hey, at least I'm calm

WHADDYAMEANIAMCALMDAMMIT
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900

I've got the '2 cup' version (= one double espresso size). The selling point is a weighted pressue valve, like on one of those pressure cookers from the 70s. The coffee only comes through when there's enough pressure to raise the valve, which is a higher pressure than a conventional moka pot manages. You get a bit of crema, but the main thing is the taste ought to be richer. I really like the result, but haven't tried their other models for comparison. Technically it isn't espresso (the pressure is still a fair bit lower than a pump machine), but with decent beans you can make a nicer drink than the 'espresso' you're likely to be served at a restaurant or major coffee chain.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Cheers, I know that I'm not ever going to produce coffee shop quality and taste without spending 100s of pounds. Something I'm just not prepared to do. If I have that amount of cash to spend, it goes on the bike. I was just wondering if there is a big difference or just marginally better. I personally like the mokkas taste. If the Italians like it, who am I to say they are wrong?
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    I hate coffee but I love coffee and walnut cake.

I also hate tea. Does anyone know if tea and walnut cake is worth a try?
  • smoggysteve
    Buy some tea and some walnut cake, report back here with your findings
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Secteur wrote:
    My missus just brought home one from Brazil, and it tastes (and looks) utterly different (but enjoyable).
    So your missus just came home with a Brazilian? Nice one!
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Heh :)
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • smoggysteve
    Giggety
  • rodgers73
    Camp coffee is nice. Anyone ever try that? Lovely when its made with cold milk :-)
  • rodgers73 wrote:
    Camp coffee is nice. Anyone ever try that? Lovely when its made with cold milk :-)

What makes it so camp?
  • rodgers73
    You pour it with a limp wrist
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Could someone help me with the following;

1) I have noticed that I get just one decent tasting espresso out of each scoop of coffee grounds I use. I can squeeze a second cup out, but it has none of the strength of the first. Am I doing something wrong, or should I be using fresh coffee for every single espresso (if so, this is going to get expensive!)

2) I want to get a grinder, and I have read on here that a "burr grinder" is better. Could someone make my life easier and point me to an amazon link for the one I should be buying?!

Thanks,.
  • RDW
    Secteur wrote:
    I have noticed that I get just one decent tasting espresso out of each scoop of coffee grounds I use. I can squeeze a second cup out, but it has none of the strength of the first. Am I doing something wrong, or should I be using fresh coffee for every single espresso (if so, this is going to get expensive!)

Top tip - use the coffee grounds the same number of times you would a teabag. :)
    Secteur wrote:
    I want to get a grinder, and I have read on here that a "burr grinder" is better. Could someone make my life easier and point me to an amazon link for the one I should be buying?!

http://www.happydonkey.co.uk/hd0866-ibe ... -auto.html

(NB: You have to add VAT and delivery to this price).
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    For those that happen to be in the Epsom area or cycleable distance, try the Bike Beans Cafe. Haven't been yet, but it was recommended to me.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Secteur wrote:
    Could someone help me with the following;

1) I have noticed that I get just one decent tasting espresso out of each scoop of coffee grounds I use. I can squeeze a second cup out, but it has none of the strength of the first. Am I doing something wrong, or should I be using fresh coffee for every single espresso (if so, this is going to get expensive!)

2) I want to get a grinder, and I have read on here that a "burr grinder" is better. Could someone make my life easier and point me to an amazon link for the one I should be buying?!

Thanks,.

1) as someone else says, treat the grounds like teabags.

2) I have this one and I cannot fault it at all: http://www.bodum.com/gb/en-us/shop/detail/11160-01UK/?showsize=false&navid=59
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    If you're in Leeds and want to be lazy and get a good coffee made for you then try Laynes Espresso opposite Evans Cycles.

I've started buying my coffee from this new roastery in Newcastle upon Tyne - http://www.ouseburncoffee.co.uk/

Great coffee and great service
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    Hands on coffee "black chough" for cappuccinos/lattes. They're a small company and their roaster is a cyclist, but even so, it's a lovely dark roast. If you like Illy, you should enjoy this. Hasbean have some great coffees and good prices. The Blake espresso blend makes a nice fruity shot. Machine is an ECM Mechanika IV.
  • Gadge
    Gadge Posts: 135
    edited January 2013
    The Gadge way with coffee...

1) Choose any 100% arabica from South America (Brazil or Colombian are very nice)
    2) Buy beans not ground coffee.
    3) Use a cheap electric grinder to grind enough for a week.
    4) Keep the ground coffee and the spare beans in an airtight tin in the Fridge
    5) Make coffee in a cafetiere for a quick and easy decent amount.
    6) optional : Drink the result whilst eating a just grilled Croissant with tiny bit of extra butter and home made jam.

Loovely!

When I just want one cup I use a Nespresso machine/capsules to make a latte which also gives a very good result.
    Well i now have a burr grinder, several varieties of beans (all kept in the freezer), several lovely little espresso cups - all in different sizes and shapes / colours, and i LOVE making different coffees (all with the gaggia)!

I have noticed how much difference it makes by varying the fineness / coarseness of the grind, and the degree of "tamping" etc.
  • i purchased, under instruction i must add, the 18 cup bialetti moka express pot thingy over christmas, it just eats grounds for not a lot of end result. much prefer tea.

imo you should all just drink a decent quality assam, and english yourselves up a bit!
  • RDW
    i purchased, under instruction i must add, the 18 cup bialetti moka express pot thingy over christmas, it just eats grounds for not a lot of end result.

18?! Instructions from a serious addict, or a large family of coffee drinkers?