Yep...Mavic Freehub Again...

JamesVec
JamesVec Posts: 7
edited July 2014 in Workshop
Again, I have an issue with my mavic aksium freehub body on my winter bike.

Its sticking. I removed it, cleaned the inside, oiled it (Not with grease) and it appeared to have a reverse gear on the body too! :evil:

However that's gone now, it goes just the one way (the way it should), but its STILL sticking on the forward movement approx once every two wheel cycles. It can't be ridden. Gives chain suck.

Any ideas to fix this....!? Or Is it done for!? They're only 3 months old.

I have a dislike for cheap mavic wheels going on for ten years+, and i wont be buying them again. This has happened to every set of sub £200 mavic wheels ive ever had. Very annoying.

Comments

• bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    It's such a simple design, it's hard to see where it can stick. Do you have the washer on top of the freehub cone before the splined part is place on top? Without it then the freehub won't spin freely.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Does it make a shrieking sound when it sticks? That happens when the yellow nylon bushing is worn, but I wouldn't expect that before about 2000 miles. Once that happens you need to replace the bushing with a bearing (see ebay) or buy a new freehub.

What do you mean "reverse gear"?
  • JamesVec
    JamesVec Posts: 7
    edited December 2012
    bobones wrote:
    It's such a simple design, it's hard to see where it can stick. Do you have the washer on top of the freehub cone before the splined part is place on top? Without it then the freehub won't spin freely.

The only washer is on the inside of the freehub once its removed, which i presume is used to limit the amount of 'tightening up' you can add when tightening it all back up. The freehub is removed with a 5mm allen key and a 16mm spanner iirc.

The freehub just locates into the housing of the hub>press pawls in>slide freehub up to housing>screw on the cone>tighten up with a 5mm allen key using this as resistance against the spanner>nip up

I intially thought it was my rear mech, but its for sure the freehub thats causing the rear mech/lower jockey wheel to frequently follow the chain. Ive tried 2 rear mechs which to me says its the freehub body....
  • Does it make a shrieking sound when it sticks? That happens when the yellow nylon bushing is worn, but I wouldn't expect that before about 2000 miles. Once that happens you need to replace the bushing with a bearing (see ebay) or buy a new freehub.

What do you mean "reverse gear"?

There's no noise whatsoever just the rear mech wishing to follow the chain! I meant it was spinning both ways when referring to reverse gear! :?
  • mrdsgs
    mrdsgs Posts: 337
    the washer goes on the axle before you put the freehub back on. Without it the freehub sticks!
    Colnago Addict!
  • mrdsgs wrote:
    the washer goes on the axle before you put the freehub back on. Without it the freehub sticks!

That's correct! It cant go on any other way! :roll:
  • ADIHEAD
    ADIHEAD Posts: 575
    You did put the required 'mineral oil' in the freehub did you before putting it back on? If it's dry it will cause the problem you describe! Go onto the Mavic site and take a look, it tells you exactly what to do. I use Pedro's Road Rage, rather that Mavic oil as you'll see dozens of forum posts advising you to do.
  • agnello
    agnello Posts: 239
    Any solutions to this? I have exactly the same thing on some new aksiums that I've done 50 miles on. My third set of mavics but they'll be my last...
    Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    Eddy Merckx Strada
    Gios Compact KK
    Raleigh Dynatech Diablo
    Canyon CF CLX / Record
    Charge Plug 3
    Kinesis GF Ti disc - WIP...
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    Odd that they'd be doing it from new, if they were from a shop (either as a wheelset or on a bike) I'd take them back and let them deal with it.

Having serviced my Ksyrium freehub numeorus times, I suspect the OP here used far too thick lube in it, which was causing excessive drag in the freehub (causing the rear mech issues) and also causing the pawls to stick (giving him the 'reverse gear' he talks about).

The lube you should use is very thin, your usual chain lube will likely be too thick. Pedro's Road Rage is the official Mavic recommended lube, but I've used Shimano mineral oil and 5wt suspension oil from my mtb forks before with great results.
  • socrates
    socrates Posts: 453
    Clean freehub thoroughly use baby oil only and assemble. Job done.
  • robbie_n
    robbie_n Posts: 1
    You can get this behaviour if you're missing a spacer and the cassette is very slightly touching the hub flange. For example, if you are running campag 11 speed with Maivc R-SYS SLRs and you don't install the ED11 cassette spacer.

Re the mineral oil, I've done thousands of kilometres using good old fashioned 3-IN-ONE and never had any problems. I service the free hub once or twice a year.
  • jonnym5
    jonnym5 Posts: 76
    Had something similar one a crossride wheel.

I was convinced something was wrong as it was binding too much even with new freehub body and mineral oil.

Actually took the bike a ride and spun the wheel in top gear as fast as I could then pedalled backwards and it ended up perfect......