Cycling Holiday Majorca 2-9th Feb 13

dennispaul
dennispaul Posts: 5
edited December 2012 in Tour & expedition
I've booked a week in Alcudia (old town) as a base for some winter cycling (and maybe tennis too). Can anyone recommend any routes for me (43 and mainly do weekend cycling)? I'd like to do some manageable climbs. Also, If anyones out at that time I'd be glad of any company en route as I'm doing this solo.

Comments

• I will be out in Alcudia too, but on an organised training trip. Will most likely see us about, we will be staying at the Viva Tropic Hotel. I'm sure if you asked the organiser nicely he wouldn't mind you tagging along with us.
  • Thanks for that, I'll try that out!
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    Wheels cycle shop on the main strip in Alcudia do a great, strong laminated book, with recommended road cycle routes from Alcudia. I used it last time I was out. Well worth the 6 euros.
  • The main routes I would recommend in order are:

1) Cap de Formentor - this is the peninsular on the north east of the island. Will probably be cold and windy in early feb (which will mean fewer cars!), and the road surface isn't great in parts, but it is some of the best scenery in Mallorca. Out and back along the same road, there is one unlit tunnel about half way along which you have to be careful through).

2) Sa Calobra / Puerto Soller / Puig Mayor

If you follow the MA-10 along the north coast you will do the best climbs in Mallorca. I'd recommend going as far as you can - until Port Soller if possible - definitely going down to Sa Calobra if you have the time. This is quite tough and quite long though so you'll have to set off around 8am or whenever it gets light if you want to do the whole route. There is also a very small chance that the roads will be closed because of snow.

3) Pollensa to Campanet / Selva is a nice ridealong country roads - which you can extend up the Col de Sa Batalla and go to the monastery at Lluc - coming back down along the MA-10 towards PP.

4) Roads around Sa Pobla / Muro / Albufera Park

You can do any combination of the roads around here and they are all pretty flat, so you can cover long distances. The scenery here is pleasant rather than spectacular.

You could also take the main road down towards Arta; I have seen Team Sky train on this road often and it is pretty undulating with a very good road surface. Can be busy with fast moving traffic at certain times.

Finally, if you want a change of scenery, you can catch the train from Sa Pobla to Palma (bikes go free and its about 5 EUR return I think) and go either way along the coast from Palma. If you have the legs, then a round trip including Deia and Valldemossa is well worth doing.
  • Cheers for those great suggestions. If i get half these in I'll be chuffed. The big climbs seem a bit daunting, but I guess if I take sensible breaks it should be ok. Mant thanks
  • I normally go round surrey and some hills at Box Hill, Ranmore Common and Staple Lane over to Shere. My average is about 16mph generally (slower on these hills). These suggestions may be a step up but thats why I want to give it a go and build up stamina